update 1.41 - reportedly breaks root and blocks sideloading

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
will simply de-activating your B&N account prevent you from getting the update and just use the software that is on there?

FloridaPhil

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
will simply de-activating your B&N account prevent you from getting the update and just use the software that is on there?

Nope. As soon as you connect to wifi your device is 'open' to receiving the update.

I would highly recommend you root the device now before receiving the update.

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I just posted this on XDA forums.....

My current status is: 1.4.0 --- UNROOTED --- WIFI OFF

I just called a B&N store and remained anonymous and asked the nook guy (all these guys know how to root anyway they just keep hush unless you bring it up)

He said the update shouldn't hit that fast and he just found out today and didn't even know what servers in what areas were gonna start to push it and how fast, etc.

But anyway he said to do......

1-an erase and deactivate your B&N account through the settings menu

2-register the B&N account, then ASAP turn off WiFi

3-follow the XDA root method.

Now in the event you got updated to 1.4.1 before reading this or you messed up the root process....

If you are NOT ROOTED follow the XDA unroot method and it will roll you back to factory 1.4.0 that cam with your NT and then try it again.

This guy knew his stuff and was nice enough to share with me.

Hope this helps!!! I will be trying this tonight I will update my experience

This part I figured out from my experience with having an Android Smartphone before and I used to change my ROM's all the time.....

I guess that means buy these NT now cause who knows if there will ever be a rollback and re-flash to 1.4.0 if you purchase a new device with 1.4.1; what I'm saying is that the NT has 1.4.0 so a restore will go back to 1.4.0 but if you have a 1.4.1 NT a restore will give you 1.4.1

trgilman

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of torn on this. I liked being able to sideload apps and have the Amazon App store, all without having to root.
I still don't feel like rooting, and having to block updates.
BN has a very large window for returning these tablets. If you purchased it after Nov 14th 2010 Holiday Return Policy - Barnes & Noble

I may just reset and return the Tablet. Maybe if enough people return these things, BN might get the hint consumers are not happy about this update.

Acer has a nice 7" tablet for $250