Why I am returning my Nook Tablet

FloridaPhil

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Nook Tablet based on the principle that it was much more than an eReader and was backed by an upstanding company in Barnes & Noble.

At the price point the hardware is truly magnificent with a wonderful screen, fast processor, good storage capacity and an SD card. I didn't need the GPS and cameras that are 'missing'. The 7" form factor turned out to be ideal for my purposes.

The selection of eBooks from Barnes & Noble is excellent and even the magazines I bought are more than readable. Netflix video quality, while not High Definition, is certainly High Quality and is simply stunning with the right movie and since I am a Netflix streaming subscriber already, was 'free' to me. So far so good.

Here's the rub. The selection of apps from B&N is truly pitiful. I mean, worse than you can imagine. Now combine this with the fact that the standard email client as installed on the NT is very basic and limited and the standard web browser is little better. There are no replacements in the app store. None. What you see is what you get.

And something else makes it even worse. You can't add your Google accounts in order to sync with Google services such as contacts, calendar, reader etc.

The sad thing is the hardware is MORE THAN capable of running all these services but is being prevented from doing so by the B&N tablet software and their 'walled garden' approach - similar to that adopted by Apple but without their huge app store and connected services to create the illusion that you are not in an ecosystem prison.

There were originally two ways that NT owners could enhance the tablet but B&N are now attempting to close both of these paths with their latest operating system 'upgrade' (version 1.4.1) that is automatically installed on your Nook Tablet when you connect to the internet. They issued this 'bug fix' release on December 23rd. Bah humbug is right.

1. 'Sideloading' of applications was possible on version 1.4.0 and this let you install applications from sources other than B&N's paltry selection. So, for instance, you could install Dolphin Browser for tabbed web browsing and gesture input or Skitmail for a real email experience. Now that's all gone and you get no option to add apps that B&N don't have - which is most of them. My guess is that for most users, sideloading would have resolved the issue of the inadequate B&N app store. had they been smart, B&N would have delayed implementing the blocking until they could dramatically increase their selection of apps.

2. 'Rooting' the tablet is a way to bypass the B&N controls and open up the tablet to the full Android experience which not only means access to the Google market and Google apps but also to 'superuser' functions to enable enhanced control of the operating system. This is not for novices and requires some technical understanding of the Android operating system so likely only a very small number of advanced users would ever attempt this. B&N have attempted to block this too. Really? What exactly is the point B&N?

So, what we have here is a truly excellent piece of hardware with a fantastic eReader infrastructure capable of doing so much more than it is permitted to do by Barnes & Noble. Their motivation is to force users to buy only from them - which as Apple have proved - is perfectly okay if you make the selection big enough. Problem is, the selection is totally, hopelessly, unbelievably inadequate. Barnes & Noble will still have a huge hit on it's hands because many people have relatively simple needs. The pity is it could have been a massive home run in their battle to stay alive in the space they compete for with Amazon.

So what to do? With a heavy heart I will likely return my gorgeous Nook Tablet and spend just a little more for a real 7" tablet upon which I will install a Nook app and be very happy. I simply don't have the time, patience or inclination to fight a company that has proven it just doesn't 'get it'.

Know what you are getting into before you buy.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it, but I agree with everything you wrote. I got the Nook tablet, loved the screen, and had really high hopes for it.... right up until we found out the 1.4.1 update would eliminate side loading and restrict us to B&N's joke of an app store. (and before anyone points it out, I know B&N is breaking even on their readers/tablets and hoping to make money from app and book sales. But if that's the case, why not improve the selection of apps??? But I digress... ) I then tried to root it, but failed to get my computer to associate the correct drivers with my tablet. My wife then tried for a few hours but she couldn't figure it out even though she's successfully rooted her OG Droid, Nook Color, and Galaxy Nexus.

Long story short, I returned the Nook Tablet and bought the Acer Iconia a100 tablet, and even though the screen isn't as nice, it does everything I want and need a Tablet to do. I will still buy all of my books from B&N, but I'll be reading them on my Acer.

sousa

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought my NT 3 days ago and when I got it out of the box and turned it on the first time, I was less than impressed. For all the reasons stated above, I was thinking of returning it. Fortunately for me, it came without the 1.4.1 update. I rooted it in about 5 minutes following the instructions on the XDA Developers forum. Now I couldnt be happier!!! I have literally everything I could want on it and am now learning about all the things I could have on it if I wanted to. I say root the hell out of it before returning it....

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I bought my NT 3 days ago and when I got it out of the box and turned it on the first time, I was less than impressed. For all the reasons stated above, I was thinking of returning it. Fortunately for me, it came without the 1.4.1 update. I rooted it in about 5 minutes following the instructions on the XDA Developers forum. Now I couldnt be happier!!! I have literally everything I could want on it and am now learning about all the things I could have on it if I wanted to. I say root the hell out of it before returning it....

Agreed! I did the same and love mine!!

janetbrauns

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm returning mine tomorrow. It's a glorious, gorgeous, useless toy. I bought it to work with, to use the way I use my phone. I can't; it won't. All I got was a very expensive e-reader that won't let me use the same apps I use on my phone and laptop, won't sync well with them, and won't even let me write a Google doc when I'm on the web.

Adding insult to injury, Barnes & Noble expects me to pay for apps from a collection of partnerless shoes.

Is it possible to download the apps I was stupid enough to pay for to my SD card?

I'm so embarrassed I bought this turd.

Reactions: cordoni

FloridaPhil

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to download the apps I was stupid enough to pay for to my SD card?

I'm so embarrassed I bought this turd.

Sorry you got caught out by it too. Even rooted, I found it to be inadequate.

And sorry again, as you are not a techie, there is no easy way to transfer the apps you bought from B&N. I know. I got screwed too.

Spend a little more and get a real tablet like a Samsung Galaxy Tab

Armydad57

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If you read the Term & Conditions under legal on the NT it states that it is designed to allow for sideloading of 3rd party software, so as far as I'm concerned I think B&N should refund half of the purchase price for deceiving everyone who bought one. As soon as I'm finished reading the book I'm reading this thing is getting the full root treatment & update blocking software! Hopefully n2acards.com will have a solution for the tablet before then.

snosamie6

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been sideloading like a fiend. I just got one and it has 1.4.0 and it hasn't been updated (or rooted). I know I won't be able to download forever but I figure this will last me for a while and then I'll root. Hopefully by then the bluetooth will be unlocked! Don't give up just yet! Root!

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I have a Nook Tablet with software version 1.4.0. I figured I'd go the easy route and buy a card from n2acards.com (Tablet options ship mid-Feb).

Is THIS the root procedure that works for most people here? Or, THIS?

Thank you.

snosamie6

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine they will provide you with the preferred method of rooting when you buy. But it will probably be the second one and you pick up in the steps after he makes the sd card.
I'm curious why I (and you) have not been forced into 1.4.1 yet.

Armydad57

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered the 32Gb card from n2acards.com, will save me the hassle of trying to root and possibly bricking my device, if all feedback from the Nook color forum @ n2a is any indication, then this should be the solution I've been looking for. (keeping fingers crossed)

lgos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Xda has a cm7 rom that's in development. They took down the links and will put up new ones after they make a few updates to it. I'm posting from it now and love it.

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Love my Nook Tablet. Bought a N2A Card for it, and works fantastically. I decided to go that route so I wouldn't void the warranty (I break things alot). I don't really need the camera or gps since I don't go many place. I use it as a student tablet to do essays, take notes, work on projects, do research, homework, and it works perfectly for all those tasks. I'm thinking later I might work on placing a CM9 on it when a stable version is created.