Hey everybody! Let me start off by saying this. I had originally bought a Nexus 5 back in April and I loved it, it was great, and I ran stock Android 4.4.4 on it. About a week ago, my Nexus 5 had issues and got stuck in a boot loop and I had to take it to the T-Mobile store, and they mailed me a replacement Nexus 5 that I'm 99% sure is completely brand new. I got the new Nexus up and running, and it's running software nearly identical to the old Nexus I had; I don't use custom launchers or any of that, the only thing serious that I changed was changing my device in the developer options so that it would use ART instead of Dalvik. I did this because I noticed the device was draining very quickly compared to my old one, and I remembered that I had run ART on my old Nexus 5. When I did switch to ART, though, it had no noticeable effects on battery.

So, on my old Nexus, I could use the device actively and have the screen on for 4-6 hours out of my day and still have a good 30% at the end of my day. However, with this new Nexus, I fully charged it up before use, and then set it at my desk because I was busy working all day and haven't had time to use it much at all. The screen has seen maybe half an hour of on time, and other than that it's been sitting asleep on my desk. It went from 100% battery to 30% battery in about an hour, at which point I switched it to ART like I said before (even though I'm not running/launching many apps I thought maybe it'd help) and rebooted it. I let it sit on a desk, plugged in and charging with the included 1.1A charger for about 20 minutes. 10-15 minutes of that time it was it applying the changes to apps (because of the runtime change), and then I checked again and the battery was a mere 8% (yes, it went from 30% to 8% while charging with the included charger in only 20 minutes or so). So, I decided to shut the phone off completely and let it charge. After half an hour of being off and charging with no interruption, again using the included 1.1A charger that came with it, it went up to only 11% battery. My old Nexus 5 was NEVER this bad, and it's astonishing to me that:
    1) The Nexus drains an enormous amount of battery doing next to nothing; the "system" used 89% of the battery when I look in the menu, and it was just sitting idle on my desk.
    2) The Nexus charges insanely slowly. I used the same charger on my old phone, and I could easily get it from 15% to 50% in an hour, in most cases less than that.

These phones are running the same software, only before I could actually *use* my phone and get far more battery life out of it. And in addition, I don't think any phone is supposed to drain this fast, because it's pretty much unusable; it drains faster than it can charge. I don't have any higher amperage chargers available to me for a few more hours. I will try one when I get home but currently I'm on break at work and don't have any other chargers I can use. Can someone tell me why it's draining horribly fast doing nothing but idling, and why it's charging super slowly even when off? Could the new phone they sent me have a battery issue? With my rather low level of knowledge of how these things work, the only thing I can think of would be a battery issue, but maybe it's something else?

Thanks for the help!
    11-06-2014 02:49 PM
    Hey everybody! Let me start off by saying this. I had originally bought a Nexus 5 back in April and I loved it, it was great, and I ran stock Android 4.4.4 on it. About a week ago, my Nexus 5 had issues and got stuck in a boot loop and I had to take it to the T-Mobile store, and they mailed me a replacement Nexus 5 that I'm 99% sure is completely brand new. I got the new Nexus up and running, and it's running software nearly identical to the old Nexus I had; I don't use custom launchers or any of that, the only thing serious that I changed was changing my device in the developer options so that it would use ART instead of Dalvik. I did this because I noticed the device was draining very quickly compared to my old one, and I remembered that I had run ART on my old Nexus 5. When I did switch to ART, though, it had no noticeable effects on battery.

So, on my old Nexus, I could use the device actively and have the screen on for 4-6 hours out of my day and still have a good 30% at the end of my day. However, with this new Nexus, I fully charged it up before use, and then set it at my desk because I was busy working all day and haven't had time to use it much at all. The screen has seen maybe half an hour of on time, and other than that it's been sitting asleep on my desk. It went from 100% battery to 30% battery in about an hour, at which point I switched it to ART like I said before (even though I'm not running/launching many apps I thought maybe it'd help) and rebooted it. I let it sit on a desk, plugged in and charging with the included 1.1A charger for about 20 minutes. 10-15 minutes of that time it was it applying the changes to apps (because of the runtime change), and then I checked again and the battery was a mere 8% (yes, it went from 30% to 8% while charging with the included charger in only 20 minutes or so). So, I decided to shut the phone off completely and let it charge. After half an hour of being off and charging with no interruption, again using the included 1.1A charger that came with it, it went up to only 11% battery. My old Nexus 5 was NEVER this bad, and it's astonishing to me that:
    1) The Nexus drains an enormous amount of battery doing next to nothing; the "system" used 89% of the battery when I look in the menu, and it was just sitting idle on my desk.
    2) The Nexus charges insanely slowly. I used the same charger on my old phone, and I could easily get it from 15% to 50% in an hour, in most cases less than that.

These phones are running the same software, only before I could actually *use* my phone and get far more battery life out of it. And in addition, I don't think any phone is supposed to drain this fast, because it's pretty much unusable; it drains faster than it can charge. I don't have any higher amperage chargers available to me for a few more hours. I will try one when I get home but currently I'm on break at work and don't have any other chargers I can use. Can someone tell me why it's draining horribly fast doing nothing but idling, and why it's charging super slowly even when off? Could the new phone they sent me have a battery issue? With my rather low level of knowledge of how these things work, the only thing I can think of would be a battery issue, but maybe it's something else?

Thanks for the help!
    GSam Battery Monitor
    GSam Labs - November 4, 2014
    Tools

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gsamlabs.bbm
    11-06-2014 03:08 PM