Charging, lesser of two evils?

hiredgun

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I got a bargain basement Chinese fablet a while back and the battery has given me nothing but trouble since I got it. Way too many issues to even list here, and I can't take it back now, so I'll cut to the chase. No matter how long I leave it charging or how many different chargers and cables I try, it won't charge to 100% anymore, so I've just started using it plugged in to the PC and charging all the time. Battery has been utter crap since day one, but I still want it to last me as long as possible, therefore, my one question is even though it won't charge to 100% any more should I still unplug it let it run down before charging again or just leave it permanently charging on the PC when I use it and not even bother with the percentages anymore? Thanks in advance, Vin.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In general, you shouldn't let a battery discharge completely--if you do that regularly, you'll decrease the overall lifespan of the battery, and you'll also put it at risk of a true complete discharge (which is irreversible) if you forget to charge it up pretty soon after it dies. Modern lithium batteries aren't supposed to have problems if they're constantly plugged in, but with these cheapo devices, it's always possible they cut some corners and threw something like a NiMH battery in there, which is less durable. Battery University is a great resource for more info: Advantages and limitations of the Different Types of Batteries - Battery University

hiredgun

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for getting back to me Diddy, you made a great point about cutting corners!! It's supposed to be a 2200mAH Lithium Polymer Battery, which is they say is better than a normal Lithium battery, but who knows what is really in this thing!! Could have a NiMH battery in there for sure. Even if I could open the thing up to check it's not like I can take it back to China and complain, lol. Now that you mentioned it, really wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what they did. I'll just charge it "as if" it were a good battery and hope for the best. In theory, if I don't let it run all the way down to zero and die I can use it "forever" plugged in to the PC or wall no matter how bad the battery life gets on it right?

hiredgun

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Just to further your argument that ANYTHING could be in there Diddy, lol, I have been unable to get a full charge on this thing no matter what. Neither on or off, neither with the wall charger nor plugged into the PC. However, last night I just happened to use an external battery pack while I was actually using the thing and it fully charged and held it too!!! Bottom line is that I'm not buying any more bargain basement Chinese "specials," lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair