Hello there,

As the title states, my battery is draining really quick. It was to the point where I had to constantly bring my charger with me so I could grab some percent here and there because otherwise I couldn't get it up for when it would matter.

It was also to the point where it was not charging when... In charge. Plugged. Well sometimes it would charge but sometimes not (kind of weird but...). I tried with two different kind of plugs, two different cables and on two different mural plugs so I'm pretty sure it's phone related.

Once I got this figured out I bought a new battery. From the 2100mah original one to a 3800mah new one.

It has been better. But it still drains pretty quickly. After reading some post here and there I think the problem is my phone is not entering deep sleep.

When I look at the battery usage from the phone setting it's like 75% from screen usage. My brightness is not that high, and I have the app lux to help adjust it.
    I also have juice defender on.

I downloaded battery doctor, gsam battery monitor and wake lock detector to help me monitor that. I'll post screenshot when I have figured how to post images there.

If you have any idea what to do or need more info, let me know.
    01-15-2015 04:52 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What phone do you have? It would help to see some of the battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

01-15-2015 11:26 AM
    My batteries are EB-L1G6LLU for a Samsung Galaxy S3 4G/LTE (i-9305).

Why is my dattery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2015-01-14-16-20-18.png
    Why is my dattery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2015-01-14-16-17-05.png

Here are two screenshot I took the other day. I will post some more later today as my battery drains.

I am unsure how to get screenshots from 3 and 4, could you elaborate please?

Thanks you for your help.
    01-15-2015 02:04 PM
    Use the system's own Settings>Battery menu, rather than GSam. In the list of the apps using battery, tap on Screen and show us that screen, as well as Cell Standby (if available).
    01-15-2015 03:06 PM

I think I found the culprit : when my Wi-Fi is on, connected or not to a network, the battery drains really quickly.

Evidence 1 : Yesterday I was trying to charge my phone but it was just draining even when in charge. I then turned the Wi-Fi off and it started charged again.

Evidence 2 : this morning I did some tests.
    Here is a screenshot of wake lock from battery fully charged to what you can see on it :
    Why is my dattery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2015-01-16-09-38-20.png

I then turned off the Wi-Fi and the screen for one hour :
    Why is my dattery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2015-01-16-10-38-31.png

In one hour : 3% and 2mn awake time.

Then I did two more screenshots. First is when I turned the Wi-Fi back on and second is from seconds ago.
    Why is my dattery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2015-01-16-11-45-09.png
    Why is my dattery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2015-01-16-11-56-24.png

As you can see, it drains way more quicker.
    I made sure I wasn't recording a runtastic session between two sessions to not skew the datas.

And two of the screenshots you required :Why is my dattery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2015-01-16-12-00-53.png
    Why is my dattery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2015-01-16-12-00-37.png

I don't have a cell standby entry.
    Any idea to find out what's wrong?
    Is it the Wi-Fi in itself or an app trying to 'do something' and preventing my phone to go in deep sleep?

If you need anything else, please ask! Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Why is my dattery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2015-01-14-16-20-18.png  
    01-15-2015 07:03 PM
    Ignore the last screenshot I don't know how it got here and can't delete it...
    01-15-2015 07:06 PM
    I have to be honest--I don't quite understand those wakelock stats. They don't exactly add up. I can't use those apps, since I'm not rooted, so forgive my ignorance.

From what you describe, it sure sounds like wi-fi is causing issues. How strong is your wi-fi signal? If it's weak, I wonder if that might cause the wi-fi radio to use more battery as it tries to grab the signal--this can happen with weak cell signal, but I'm just not sure about wi-fi. It also could be an app that activates on wi-fi only. Runtastic does seem to be using a fair amount of battery, and is also at the top of the wakelock list. How about an experiment--uninstall Runtastic, and see how the phone does for a day or so.
    01-16-2015 12:53 AM
    I think wake lock displays when your phone was on deepsleep, awake and screen on (the three together = total time since unplugged). The interesting stuff is the awake time I think which is very high when the Wi-Fi is on but not when Wi-Fi is off.

Whatever the strength of the signal, the problem is still there. At home, 2m from the box or when I'm away to catch up a free Wi-Fi.

Runtastic is irrelevant there. I was just happening to use it today but it's not the culprit. It's high in the list because I was doing my biking when I took the screenshot.

So yeah, something is using the Wi-Fi but I don't know how to figure this out...
    01-16-2015 01:07 AM
    Any idea on how to find what is preventing my phone to go to deep sleep when my screen is off? It's only happening when the Wi-Fi is on.
    bloodycape77 likes this.
    01-19-2015 05:52 PM
    It could be that some app is preventing the deep sleep because it wants to access the web on short notice. That's why I think it's still worth uninstalling Runtastic, just as a test--perhaps it's designed to prevent deep sleep as part of its normal functioning?
    01-19-2015 09:46 PM
    Indeed some app is preventing the device to go in deep sleep.

Runtastic is not the culprit after some tests. It was showing in the screenshots because I was using it, otherwise it behaves correctly.

I installed deep sleep battery saver and things are better tought not perfect. Still helps a bit.

Is there a way to have the breakdown of what's causing "power manager service.wakelocks"? From what I've understood it's the catch-all for the wake'ocks caused by the apps but can we know what app?
    01-20-2015 03:24 PM