1. Caratron's Avatar
    I have a Sony Xperia E1.

    I dropped my phone in water a few days ago. When I first pulled it out it seemed to still be working, but a few minutes later I found it had gone dead and wouldn't turn on. After doing my best to get all of the water out, including using a vacuum, it still wouldn't turn on, so I plugged it in.

    When I plugged it in, it exhibited behavior which I believe is consistent with the battery being utterly and completely drained. (The next two paragraphs are an explanation of this behavior, skip them if you don't want the details of this.)

    Normally, when I plug the phone in when it's turned off, the battery indicator light comes on red (as when the battery is low), the screen turns on and shows a Sony logo for a few seconds, then the screen shown an animation of a battery charging, then the screen turns off and the battery indicator light changes to a mix of red and green that normally indicates "charging."

    What happened this time, is that the battery indicator light blinked red on and off (and at first it also looked feeble, not fully coming on), and the screen would flash the Sony logo intermittently in short bursts. What I believe was going on based on this, is that the battery was completely dead (or at least the phone THOUGHT the battery was completely dead), and the phone would attempt to do the sequence of actions described above, but doing so used up what little power it had gained from a second or two of charging; repeat. If I tried to turn the phone on during this period, nothing would happen if it wasn't plugged in, but if it was plugged in, it would vibrate once and display the Sony logo - which is normally the first thing it does when booting up - but then go dead; again suggesting that the phone "works" and has some power, but runs out of power as soon as it tries to do something.

    After an hour or two of this, I went to bed, and left the phone plugged in. In the morning, the battery indicator light was green meaning fully (or almost fully) charged, and I could turn it on like normal. If I recall correctly, once I turned it on the battery percentage still wasn't at 100% but then proceeded to charge in a typical amount of time; but it's possible I'm mistaken and it was fully charged at this point.

    At this point, my conclusion was that I had succeeded in undoing the water damage to the phone itself (and I imagined that warming the internal components by leaving it plugged in all night had taken care of what was left), but that the battery had been shorted out, completely draining it and leading to the behavior above.

    Apart form having to replace the SIM card, the phone worked normally for the next couple of days, and the battery appeared to charge and discharge at a reasonable rate. Then yesterday, two days after it had started working again, the phone abruptly died on me. I was using it - it wasn't fully charged but I believe it was above 50% - and it just up and went dead in my hand. When I plugged it in, it once again behaved like the battery was completely dead as described above; this time, though, it would only stay in this state for about 5-10 minutes before proceeding to the usual "turned off but charging" behavior; and sometimes, at this point it would show an image of a full battery on the screen and the light would be green, implying the battery was fully charged. However, if I tired to turn it on after it did that, it would fail to turn on and go back to acting like it was completely dead.

    I went back and forth like this three or four times, in a few different outlets (I was traveling around at the time), before just leaving it plugged in. This time, for some reason (perhaps because of the outlet/building?) it now stayed in the "dead" state for a long time; when I checked it an hour later it was still in this state. When I checked it again after another hour, the light was green (implying it was finished charging) but I didn't do anything. After another 40-45 minutes, I unplugged it (travelling again) and tried to turn it on; nothing happened. When I got home I plugged it back in (I think it went back to acting like it was dead at the point, but I'm not entirely sure) and left it overnight. This morning, it turned on like normal and the battery was fully charged.

    Now, between the inconsistent indications of how much charge it has (which actually isn't all that unusual in my experience) and the fact that it suddenly died when it shouldn't have, I'm assuming that something or other is still wrong with my phone. What I really want to know, though, is does this behavior suggest that the problem is with the BATTERY, as opposed to the actual phone? I don't like having an unreliable phone and don't mind replacing it to that end; but I also don't want to buy a whole new phone when I might actually only need to replace the battery. So, does this sound like a problem with the battery?

    Thanks, and sorry for the long-winded explanation.
    02-11-2015 03:32 PM
  2. VW Maverick's Avatar
    02-11-2015 03:58 PM
  3. Caratron's Avatar
    That was very helpful for future reference, and consider me suitably chastised for not handling the situation properly in the beginning. It doesn't answer my main question however; does what happened yesterday indicate a problem with the phone, or just with the battery?

    That guide makes reference to the phone failing in the following weeks if any water molecules remain; but now that I've gotten it to turn on again, the phone is behaving normally. There is nothing that appears (to me) to indicate a problem with the phone's components such as the motherboard; all of the problems are variations on the phone not having power.

    02-11-2015 04:31 PM
  4. VW Maverick's Avatar
    Just keep an eye on it. Watch out for it to suddenly get hot, which is a possibility.
    Good luck.

    02-11-2015 04:47 PM
  5. Caratron's Avatar
    02-11-2015 05:17 PM

Similar Threads

  1. How do I charge a battery pack out of the tablet?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2015, 07:47 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2015, 06:46 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2015, 05:13 PM
  4. How do I access my phone- I don't recall my password?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2015, 03:06 PM
  5. AT&T One M8 - Sent text messages now repeating!
    By ajacobs79 in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2015, 02:42 PM