I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 about three months ago. All was working fine until last week when the battery started draining really fast. I didn't install any new apps at all. It did tell me that MediaServer was running quite a lot, although I hardly play music from my phone. Anyway, I decided to do a factory reset and deleted all of my information, music and apps on my SD card in case of a corrupt file. This didn't work. My battery wasn't even lasting 8 hours.

I read into this some more and reset the cache partition. I found this worked slightly, although it still wouldn't last up to 9 hours. Since then, I have installed battery doctor. Once again, this is a slight improvement but it still doesn't get me to 10 hours. The phone is still rooted and I don't want to change this for warranty purposes. I have reduced the screen lighting to -3 to try and save battery, but again, this has failed.

When I load up the battery manager, it tells me the following:

Screen: 25%
    Android System: 25%
    Facebook: 14%
    Android OS: 14%
    Cell Standby: 5%
    Wi-Fi: 3%
    Messenger: 3%
    com.android.systemui: 2%
    Mediaserver: 2%

I use facebook occasionally, but even so, I don't want to stop using the apps that I bought the phone for.

Any help would be really appreciated. I have purchased another battery which is on the way, but I am worried that it is something within the phone itself which is causing this problem.

Any ideas would be extremely appreciated.

Kind regards,
    02-16-2015 04:59 AM
    Sorry for the delay in answering your question, but if you have an SD card, try this: power down your phone, pull the card out, and reboot. Go without the card for a day and see if that helps.

From an AOSP M8
    02-16-2015 04:00 PM
    I literally tried that just before your post and it's a massive improvement! It is normal again! I assume the sd card is corrupt. Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate. It confirms for me what I did. Thanks again
    02-18-2015 08:41 AM