Hi everyone, here's is my next battery query. I had a bad habit of not recharging my First Gen Moto X phone till the battery level reached utpo 5%. Later I discovered that one should never drain a Li-ion battery below 20%. Now this practice surely must have damaged my phone battery to an extent.

So is there any way by which I an actually undo the damage to my Android's Li-Ion battery? I'm asking about the specific charging practices that can help me accomplish this. If thats not possible, please say so straightforwardly. Thanks.
    03-04-2015 11:45 AM
    I believe once a battery is pretty much done .. it is done. The only fix is to replace it.
    03-04-2015 12:35 PM
    First, it's not that it gets damaged, it's that the number of charge cycles varies with the depth of charge at each cycle. The maximum life is when you charge at about 50%. Dropping that down to 40% won't shorten the life too much. Dropping it to 20% cuts the life by about half. Letting it discharge to 5% can kill the battery in 6 months, but most of them will start losing capacity at that point and you won't really notice that you need a new battery for about a year. (As opposed to some more than 10 year old batteries I have that still give me more than 95% capacity.)

Just start charging it when it gets down under 50% and keep using it until it can't hold a charge long enough for your needs. Then it's time to get a new one. (Or if your device has a replaceable battery [the back cover pops off and you can take the battery out], get 2 with a charger. Two batteries and a charger that can charge both batteries at once [the one in the phone and the one out of the phone] generally run around the $25 range. If the battery in th phone gets down below 50% and you still have more "day" left, swap batteries.)
    Crashdamage likes this.
    03-04-2015 12:44 PM
    I've already come across those tips. So thats nothing new. I'm asking if there's any way to reverse the damage (if any) due to repeated deep discharges?
    03-15-2015 08:23 AM