S6 vs M9 Battery Discussion

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
There are some really good battery discussions in the S6 section. People talking about that Samsung figured out how to keep the battery in their phone at a lower temperature so it doesn't run hot. That is very interesting. And I also read the phone can be fully charged in 45 minutes. The M8 takes over 1 1/2 hours on a rapid charger so I know the M9 will take even longer.

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Because the M9 has a larger battery by about 10% than the M8. The bigger the battery, the longer it will take to charge. The smaller the battery, the less time it takes to charge. Could be the reason why it takes a Samsung battery in the S6 45 minutes to charge.

Posted via the Android Central App

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
The m9 will take 52% longer to charge from 0% to 70% and will run about 80% hotter at 100% CPU load for 97% of the time. That's based in what the reviews are saying. Also, that leaves the M9 with about a 66% chance of having an inferior battery.

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
The m9 will take 52% longer to charge from 0% to 70% and will run about 80% hotter at 100% CPU load for 97% of the time. That's based in what the reviews are saying. Also, that leaves the M9 with about a 66% chance of having an inferior battery.

See..."reviews".....not first impressions.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Please don't start again. You destroyed one thread with your behavior. Isn't that enough? Please stop posting unless you really intend to be productive. Thank you.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry but first impressions has put me off the M9 already. And why would reviews be any different?

Because first impressions are just that-- impressions, where no one has used the device for a period of time to test out its features. After testing comes the reviews, which are in themselves subjective and individual. In reviews, you do get a general feel, but it's hardly a consensus.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
See..."reviews".....not first impressions.

I said
That's based in what the reviews are saying.

So now there's a 29% chance that 60% of the reviews that I've read or viewed were in fact first impressions. With that said, there is a likelihood for the battery life to be 30% worse than the M9 even with the 10% increase in battery capacity. Even if 100% of the internal components were updated, 50% of them could be less power efficient than their outgoing predecessors which could negate 100% of the 10% increase in battery capacity. Mind=blown.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Please don't start again. You destroyed one thread with your behavior. Isn't that enough? Please stop posting unless you really intend to be productive. Thank you.

This ^^. Except for one thing. petvas72, please hit the report button instead of posting this yourself.

Productive posts are still welcome in this thread; if you are here to troll now is a great time to rethink that.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Because first impressions are just that-- impressions, where no one has used the device for a period of time to test out its features. After testing comes the reviews, which are in themselves subjective and individual. In reviews, you do get a general feel, but it's hardly a consensus.

Nothing is going to fix the bad camera between now and launch. It's not like HTC has a history of making the best cell cameras, just look at the m7 and m8. An htc rep was asked to state the improvements of the m9 over the m8 and she was stumbling around for words. This is not good.

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It's a ridiculous claim to say the s6 will have a better battery. The m9 has less pixels to push, the processor still needs to be tested in terms of heat production and both use ddr4 ram. S6 seems to use brighter color in the ui, and that tends to destroy the battery life of amoked displays. It's obvious the m9 will be having better battery life unless your a Samsung fanboy.

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
It's a ridiculous claim to say the s6 will have a better battery. The m9 has less pixels to push, the processor still needs to be tested in terms of heat production and both use ddr4 ram. S6 seems to use brighter color in the ui, and that tends to destroy the battery life of amoked displays. It's obvious the m9 will be having better battery life unless your a Samsung fanboy.

From all the reviews I read last year, the S5 had the better battery life than the M8. I read articles and watched YouTube channels to confirm this. My sister and parents switched to Samsung because they didn't like the battery life of the M8.

I thought battery life in my M8 was amazing compared to my M7. But HTC only changed a few things with the M9 so the same battery size should have been sufficient? But that was negated by what Jeff Gordon had to say regarding the matter. He pretty much said in a nutshell, yeah we increased the battery size of the M9. However, that won't necessarily increase battery life over the M8. It could be slightly better or worse.

If you have an M7 in my opinion, I don't know how you have coped with the battery for two years. Loved that phone but you use it a lot because it's a great device. The battery doesn't last as long as you would like. Maybe updates to it has changed that.

Last edited:

zizu101

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
From all the reviews I read last year, the S5 had the better battery life than the M8. I read articles and watched YouTube channels to confirm this. My sister and parents switched to Samsung because they didn't like the battery life of the M8.

I thought battery life in my M8 was amazing compared to my M7. But HTC only changed a few things with the M9 so the same battery size should have been sufficient? But that was negated by what Jeff Gordon had to say regarding the matter. He pretty much said in a nutshell, yeah we increased the battery size of the M9. However, that won't necessarily increase battery life over the M8. It could be slightly better or worse.

If you have an M7 in my opinion, I don't know how you have coped with the battery for two years. Loved that phone but you use it a lot because it's a great device. The battery doesn't last as long as you would like. Maybe updates to it has changed that.

I want to, I really want to, but I just can't believe you.

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I want to, I really want to, but I just can't believe you.

There are multiple videos and articles about this. I'm going to post one link but you can Google the rest for yourself.

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs iPhone 5S vs HTC One M8 Real Battery Life Test: http://youtu.be/LJbrMj11pnQ

I can post more but the S5 beat out HTC and Apple. They know what they are doing. It's not hard to Google these tests and from what I've seen there is no bias.

S5: 13 hrs 58 minutes compared to M8's 7 hrs 45 minutes.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up..

Warnings that are posted in the threads by the Mod Team are expected to be followed and taken seriously. We are under no obligation to give warnings but we do our best to give people a chance to get back on track. Unfortunately when those generous warnings are ignored, we have no choice but to follow protocol and take care of the situation as needed to preserve the quality of the forum and discussions for others who are here to be productive.

Paul

Mod Team Leader @ AC.

johnp888

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Htc m9 vs samsung s6 battery thoughts

So here is what I understand

SoC - htc has snapdragon 810: 20nm process, samsung has exynos 7420: 14nm. Process shrink usually points to better power efficiency. But I don't imagine at idle or using the a53 cores will make a lot of difference between the two

Display - m9 has 1080p slcd and s6 has 1440p samoled. Pushing more pixels requires more power but amoled has certain power efficiencies also, I tend to believe pushing less pixels would be more beneficial

UI framework - m9's sense 7 seems like a light skin. Touch wiz seems to be lightened up too. But with all the extras samsung puts into touch wiz I would say sense 7 is better on battery.

Battery capacity - m9 has 2840mAh and s6 has 2550mAh. But also comes down to how it's used in the system. If user plays games a lot, I would imagine htc with more capacity would win out.

In my opinion, it's really not cut and dry. I think samsung trying to go after the fruit company made a mistake by making the phone too thin, and sacrificing battery capacity. Probably why they keep touting how quick the charging would be along with wireless charging. Htc increased battery capacity which was a good idea but not sure if it's a major increase. I used a Nexus 5 with 2300mAh and it was notorious crappy. I switched to an lg g2 with 700mAh extra capacity and it made a lot of difference in daily use. M8 to M9 only sees a 200mAh increase. Without seeing what people say when the phone's are available I think I would have to think it may be a wash and both phones would probably last through the day. Although I would bet on the m9 if I had to choose. Sorry for the long post.

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Last year the galaxy s5 had a bigger battery than the m8 so it only made sense. The s5 was able to get good battery life on the 801 and 1080p. Now the m9 has the more power efficient 810, ddr4 ram and the same 1080p. Now the s5 may have a more power efficient processor, but it remains to be seen on the improvements. I think Samsung is going after form than function, but reviews will let us know the final answer.

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Well, I've got chargers at home, one in the car, and one in the office. I've had no problems keeping it topped off.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4.9.5 Yep, I downgraded! :-D

rebeccathomp

Banned
Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I don't have any problems with Samsung batteries in all of my devices. In any case, I have extra batteries, chargers wherever I go. With the S6 coming up, given that it charge really fast, I'm pretty positive it would do it's job so I'm giving it a chance until I have a hands- on what it really feels like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv