S6 vs M9 Battery Discussion

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The m9 will take 52% longer to charge from 0% to 70% and will run about 80% hotter at 100% CPU load for 97% of the time. That's based in what the reviews are saying. Also, that leaves the M9 with about a 66% chance of having an inferior battery.

Posted via the Android Central App
I like how u did the math lol

Bearbaby

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't have any problems with Samsung batteries in all of my devices. In any case, I have extra batteries, chargers wherever I go. With the S6 coming up, given that it charge really fast, I'm pretty positive it would do it's job so I'm giving it a chance until I have a hands- on what it really feels like.

really? how long can you use with full charge?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
There are multiple videos and articles about this. I'm going to post one link but you can Google the rest for yourself.

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs iPhone 5S vs HTC One M8 Real Battery Life Test: http://youtu.be/LJbrMj11pnQ

I can post more but the S5 beat out HTC and Apple. They know what they are doing. It's not hard to Google these tests and from what I've seen there is no bias.

S5: 13 hrs 58 minutes compared to M8's 7 hrs 45 minutes.

The problem I have with tests like this is two things...

First, other then telling me that all the radios are on he gives no information on how he tested the phones. Such as what is the screen brightness set to on each phone? Is the YouTube video played over wifi or LTE? And so on, and so on.
I even looked up the website of the author and his link to the video didn't work nor did it have any information on his testing method.

The second problem I have is that it is one test of just one way we use our phones. His video test doesn't tell me what the talk time might be like when I use my phone as a..... Phone!
We also could use a test for Web browsing and his test failed hard in showing me what that is like.

No testing method is perfect. But his test was the worst.
Want a good place that tests battery life on phones? Go here. They explain how they test and what they test on each phone and then give you the numbers.

http://m.gsmarena.com/gsmarena_lab_tests-review-751p6.php

Btw, so you don't have to look them up, here are the numbers for both the m8 and the S5.

(first number is endurance, then talk, web, and lastly video.)

M8- 71 - 20:01 - 9:06 - 11:14
S5 - 72 - 21:20 - 9:36 - 11:05

I hope that I helped clarify that there is no perfect testing method and that most battery tests on YouTube are crap and should be avoided.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I just don't understand these people saying that the S6 has fast charge so the battery size won't matter. Fast charge is a nice feature but it's not something you should use on a regular basis. It will reduce the overall life of the battery. Slow charge is better for the batteries. It is also my understanding that these batteries get approximately 500 full charges so if you have to charge the S6 twice a day, after approximately 1 year it will start having significant drain problems. If I am wrong please explain.

Posted via Android Central App

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
With the S5 having better battery life than the M8, I think they may do it again with the S6. Yeah they went with a display with more pixels, but it still uses 20% less power than the 1080p screen in the S5. http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S6_ShootOut_1.htm
The processor is also more efficient. Pretty much everything in the S6 will use less or the same amount of power as the M9 so that extra 250mah may not help it be the better of the two in lasting through the whole day.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
It is so close between the two phones for me that the battery life reviews will be the complete decider

I say this jokingly, but if it turns out that the battery life for those two is within about 5 mins of each other, I think you'll have to flip a coin.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
hehe, then it will simply come down to price.

So it would be the HTC M9.

I am so torn to the extent where every time I read someone slag off the M9 I choose the S6, if they slag off the S6 I'm back to the M9

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
HTC needs to figure out a way to get something revolutionary going. In the battery department, if they can figure out a way to allow easily removable battery with a metal chassis, that would be very attractive.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
hehe, then it will simply come down to price.

So it would be the HTC M9.

I am so torn to the extent where every time I read someone slag off the M9 I choose the S6, if they slag off the S6 I'm back to the M9

That should make your choice easy because the "slag" as you call it, ratio has got to be 25-1 in favor of the m9.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
slag must be a UK term lol

I feel like a lot of the Samsung hate is still a little overspill from previous models. Especially regarding the bloatware.

I'm kind of sitting here checking the news every couple of hours for more info. But realistically I'm just going to have to sit tight for the credible reviews to come in

Charles Hinkle

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
My suspicion is it'll be close for the battery performance. They seem like they will both be very good phones. The most amusing thing to me is how all the Samsung fans so passionately boasted about removal batteries and SD cards and now, it's perfectly acceptable to have niether. lol

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
My suspicion is it'll be close for the battery performance. They seem like they will both be very good phones. The most amusing thing to me is how all the Samsung fans so passionately boasted about removal batteries and SD cards and now, it's perfectly acceptable to have niether. lol
I don't think it's acceptable, at least not the removable battery, I can handle no SD card since there's much more memory. I don't really have much choice though. Only other flagship that might still have it is the G4 and there won't be near as many accessories for it, plus it'll be using the SD810 which is inferior to the Exynos and it won't have MST. So although I hate the fact that the removable battery is gone, there's more than likely not another device that'll offer me as much as the S6.

cabaretgirl

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
he he he.. it's going to be a stiff competition between the two, M9 vs S6 battery but if we're going to base it on previous models -M8 vs S5, there's a bigger possibility, it's going to be S6.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's acceptable, at least not the removable battery, I can handle no SD card since there's much more memory. I don't really have much choice though. Only other flagship that might still have it is the G4 and there won't be near as many accessories for it, plus it'll be using the SD810 which is inferior to the Exynos and it won't have MST. So although I hate the fact that the removable battery is gone, there's more than likely not another device that'll offer me as much as the S6.

Do you have proof that the SD810 in inferior to the Exynos?

Posted via Android Central App

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I have to admit that I have not read all of the reviews/first impressions for these two devices.

However, I can say that I currently have (and use) both the M8 and the S5: M8 is my personal phone, the S5 is my work phone. I do not use my S5 very often, MAYBE 10 minutes of screen-on time per day (mostly checking emails or taking pictures to remember things). A full charge on my S5 gets me through 3-4 days, with 99.99% of that time being screen-off (and also no real app usage aside from email and camera/gallery).

For my M8, I have never gotten below 30% on my battery during a full day of use. I frequently check facebook, texts, gmail, stream music via bluetooth to my car's radio, play games, etc. I unplug the charger at about 7:15AM every day and do not charge again until ~10PM at night. I have wifi on all day (connected at work and at home). Typically, I have ~60% battery left after a full day (~2 hours of streaming music to my car radio and another 2-3 hours screen-on time).

For me, I'm not considering upgrading to either the M9 or the S6. I like both of my current devices. They work perfectly for what I need them for. However, if I had to choose between the two for personal preference, I would not hesitate to pick my M8. I love the Sense interface (minus Blinkfeed). I love the screen size and device size - the S5 really is too big for me. I love the solid aluminum construction, even without a removable battery. The M8 has been perfect for me and aside from a few minor complaints that honestly aren't even worth listing, I can't think of how this phone could be any better. The M9, with a larger battery and more power-efficient CPU should be better than the M8 in battery life, but that's never been an issue for me to begin with.

TL;DR version: S5 has good battery. M8 more than gets me through the day. I prefer the M8 over the S5 and would choose the M9 over the S6.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Isn't that the truth it's like what happened ? They were like well my phone is water proof and we have an ad card I could swap out my battery once Samsung removed them all they are like it's okay we didn't need that any way. Whatever subliminal messaging or hypnosis Samsung has HTC could sure use some of that Lmbo

rebeccathomp

Banned
Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
This is the weakness of most android devices, the battery life. I really hoped to see a tangible data on the endurance of this new flagship by Sammy. My phone usually last 3-4 days.I can't say it's true for everyone because it's user dependent. But in any case, what works for me is to charge the phone fully, before using it and not using while charging. Battery last longer when charged properly and for unexpected situation, I always carry an extra battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie