Why is my battery percentage going down while charging??

A

AC Question

why is my battery percentage going down while charging??

like when i put my lg phone on the charger its doesnt go up.. it goes down

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: why is my battery percentage going down while charging??

Hi and welcome to AndroidCentral.

Which LG phone do you have?

Are you using the charger that came with your device or another charger?

Are you using the charger plugged into an AC outlet or plugged into a USB port on your PC?

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Giving us some basic info like Laura asked would be helpful.
A typical USB port on a PC only delivers 0.5 amps or less, so if you are using your phone while charging this way, then your phone may be using more power than your PC port can deliver.
The other possibilities could be:
1. Your cable is worn or damaged and some of the wire strands have separated internally. This increases resistance and reduces the amount of power the cable can conduct.
2. Your USB receptacle on the phone is dirty or damaged.
3. Your phone or phone battery is defective.
4. Your AC power block may be failing, and is no longer delivering sufficient power.

You can rule out a few of these things by using a different charger and cable, or plugging a different phone into your charger. If you use a different charger and it works, then the problem is your charger. If a different charger does not work, then plug a different phone into your charger, and if that phone charges then you have a problem with your phone.

andrewsean7830

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same problem as you. I even tried a new battery and that didn't even fix it. Left it charging overnight with phone off and it didn't hardly charge at all. Feel like smashing it because of discharging while I'm charging it..

washiGaming

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same problem as you. I even tried a new battery and that didn't even fix it. Left it charging overnight with phone off and it didn't hardly charge at all. Feel like smashing it because of discharging while I'm charging it..

Make sure GPS and 3G is off when not needed, ensure you close all apps when possible and once a month letting it run down and charging it up fully from flat. This is the best way to maximise battery life.

Loverboy0627

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site

Hi and welcome to AndroidCentral.

Which LG phone do you have?

Are you using the charger that came with your device or another charger?

Are you using the charger plugged into an AC outlet or plugged into a USB port on your PC?

LG G4. Yes using original charger.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

LG G4. Yes using original charger.

Welcome to Android Central! Are you only using the charger in a wall outlet, or are you using a computer USB port? The latter doesn't give much current.

I agree with Kevin -- try a new or different battery.

Self-made Uneake

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
I have the droid maxx 2 and when I charge my phone, and I'm playing games or whatever I'm doing the percentage decreases and it didn't start doing this since yesterday.... How can I stop it from decreasing please reply and thanks

I'm having the same problem as you and it's sucks... I've tried everything

Last edited by a moderator:

BayK

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If changer is good, there might be two reasons:
1. When you start charge it, your phone activate services that start to sync, upload and download many files. For example, if you sync your photo and video with social networks like Google+. It takes a lot of energy. But this process is finishing and your buttery should go up.
2. Buttery level is calculating with software. Because of marketing manufacturer wants you think that battery is better that it is. They are playing with numbers and you can see it. It is not big deal, just ignore it.

ico2k2

Jun 15, 2017
Visit site
Check if the battery charger is powerful enought, if yes, then maybe your phone consumes more energy than the battery charger can produce. In both cases, try using a tablet's power charger

dimacz

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
my case is different the phone charges up to 90% but when it reaches that it then starts to go down. Wall outlet used in charging
(note i tried two chargers wall plugged and the results were the same but these two chargers charge other phones normally BTW it charges normally when plugged in the car)

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Usually when this happens, the phone is detecting a cable plugged in, but no power is actually being sent to the phone battery. The common causes are a bad cable, worn out USB port, or the wall charger itself going bad and getting weak. The cable and wall charger are easy to test, just use a different one. For the USB jack on the phone itself, I usually put the cord under the phone and see if the extra tension one way or another makes it charge. If it does and you KNOW the cable is good, it might be time to swap that USB port or have it checked at a phone store.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000