Why does my battery suddenly die?

A

AC Question

I've bought a new phone just a week ago, but last night the battery died while I was sleeping. The day before, my battery life would stay at 94% for almost 3 hours and hardly dropped at all. It was around 70% when I went to bed. All apps should have been closed.

When I woke up, I couldn't get my phone to boot up so I started recharging it. At first it would display the recharge in the same manner as when the phone was completely shut off. It showed the battery life at 54%. Afterwards, I booted up the phone and it displayed battery life at 14%.

When looking at the battery history, the life would be around 65% before plummeting to 0%

Notes: I'm currently studying in Japan. I am unaware of any warranty on the phone. The phone is mostly used for messaging and google maps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? The battery might be defective or failing. Can you try a different battery (if it's user-removable)?

It might also be a problem with the battery sensor software. Try charging up to 100%, then using it normally until it shuts down from low battery. Charge back up to 100% again, and repeat this cycle 3 times to recalibrate things. Does that help?