I am using a Nexus 6P with the latest update to this date. Nobody seems to understand or ask this question right. I've been having the same problem as a lot of other people. It seems something is continuously running in the background because my phone stays warm even when in stand-by. I do not understand what is draining my battery and I've looked for every possible solution and I cannot seem to find out what the problem is. I've even tested it and put my phone on airplane mode and it still drained out over night. There was nothing running, i deleted all my applications that I feel were the cause like facebook, snapchat. the only apps I had were the ones that came with my phone. Now here is what I gathered:

I am running the most recent patch of marshmallow. I got it from Telus, and not only after one day of putting it in sleep, to wake up and find a 100% charged batter down to 13% while I was asleep while nothing was active. Now I checked the battery usage and for some reason my system was running at 26% all night long with no explainable reason. In my conclusion doze is not clicking in, and something in my system is running continuously and not shutting down. My phone while in stand-by runs warm. It never cools off, so I also concluded that something in the background of my phone is running like crazy continuously. I had this phone one day, and I can't keep its battery at a decent level. It's practically decaying 1% every ten minutes and I have yet to find a solution.

I have tried everything I could possibly think of, my only other solution if i don't get an answer is to bring it back and get a new one. Something is causing my system to run out of wack and I don't understand why. I have not been able to pinpoint the cause. I have no apps that would run in the background at this moment in time. I even uninstalled S Health. I am mind blown. My sister has the exact same phone, same colour, same data space, same everything. her phone can last three days on one charge while even being used, yet mine dies overnight while in stand-by. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I really hope someone has some kind of answer to this insane battery drain. I have never had a phone drain like this. I had an S5 and I could make it last two full days on one charge while using it. With ALL the exact same apps I had on my 6P. I did nothing different.

And I will repeat what I said earlier because this is a long post. I narrowed it down to a system drain. None of my apps are running in the background. Again its my "system" running at 26% while in stand-by. How could a system be running at that much power while in stand-by with nothing even open. I hope somebody can answer my question.
    01-28-2016 11:48 AM
    Try this tonight:

Before going to bed, restart your 6P in "Safe Mode". To do so, power on the phone -> press and hold power button for several seconds until "Power Off" banner appears -> Press and hold Power Off banner until Restart in safe mode banner appears -> tap it.

If your phone's battery survives the night, you have a bad app or some other setting which is draining your battery. Examples: a news aggregator (such as Google News & Weather app) or weather app which is updating too often), a "battery saver" app which is doing anything but, something which is making constant use of location services, and so on.

If your battery is still depleted after a night in Safe Mode, call Google support as you likely have a hardware problem.
    Rukbat and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-28-2016 12:36 PM
    To add to what N4Newbie said, uninstall any "battery saver" or "RAM cleaner" apps you have - all they do is waste battery and RAM. They'd work great on a Windows phone, but on an Android phone all they do is waste battery and RAM space. (I also never use apps written by companies that write those apps - writing an app like that shows that you don't understand how Android works, and you're assuming that it works like Windows or Linux - which isn't true.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-28-2016 12:58 PM
    I recall, by the way, a "gasoline price" app which is notorious for keeping the phone awake (that is, not dozing) all night long and burning battery. I don't remember the name of the app, but is is supposed to help you locate the best fuel price within your general area.

Just one more example of a problem app.
    01-28-2016 03:17 PM
    Thanks for all the help. I had not checked into these settings, and rather, I had concluded a hardware problem. Something during an update, when the phone was activated, did not update properly. This was causing something in my system to wake-lock my phone. During this wake-lock, my phone was running some unknown application/task that couldn't be identified. It only showed up as "System" in the battery. This would drain more than 75% of my battery in the span of 12 hours. So I did a factory reset, ran it as a new phone, backed up all my data manually, re-installed the same apps manually, and let the updates run accordingly. This fixed the problem. I have not had a problem with my battery life since. Now my battery lasts three days on a full charge while being both inactive and active. Obviously the less screen time the longer the battery life. As for what caused the problem, nothing I had looked into could figure it out. Was strangely unknown, all I could conclude was that it was an update problem with the system software causing a hardware problem which left the phone active even when it was not active. I have all the same apps as before, and now I see better results. I will use what replies I received for someone else who may experience what I went through, and I will also recommend a factory reset to be the best option if it is indeed a hardware problem.

Thanks again for your quick responses.
    xD
    02-01-2016 02:58 PM
    Try to charge it overnight.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-11-2016 03:52 AM
    Try to charge it overnight.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Lol.

Actually, the Nexus 6P running Marshmallow should enter "doze" mode after 30 minutes of non-movement. A typical 6P should not burn more than 2% or 3% of battery while dozing overnight. If it is burning significantly more than that, then a "bad" app is keeping the phone's cpu busy through the night.
    02-11-2016 07:54 AM