Visit site
I have the s2 and I want to root it.

Model Number : GT-i9100M
Android Version : 4.1.2
Baseband version : i9100MUGMA5
Kernel Version : 3.0.31-900488
se.infra (AT) ep-127 #3
Build Number : JZ054K.19100MUGMA5

Here is the background : I have purchased a Gear Fit to use with this device, but I need 4.3 on the phone.

I have tried to upgrade the device to no avail using the One-Click method. It tells me that it is not compatible. I have been researching and it seems I need to root the device first and then upgrade the firmware manually.

If any of this sounds wrong, please let me know. I don't want to brick the phone, but would like to upgrade the device. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I am new to this. Ok, flashing a custom ROM is fine with me. But how do I go about doing it without the issue of bricking? Is my version of the s2 ok to do this?
1) Go to XDA and ask there?
2) Go to XDA and find my version of the phone and download the ROM?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am new to this. Ok, flashing a custom ROM is fine with me. But how do I go about doing it without the issue of bricking? Is my version of the s2 ok to do this?
1) Go to XDA and ask there?
2) Go to XDA and find my version of the phone and download the ROM?

You can ask XDA, but they may be rather brash with new people. As long as you find the EXACT match, model for model, you should be fine. First things first, though: you do have a custom recovery, and a Nandroid backup, right?

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply. I dont have any of those things so I need to do that first. What comes first, the flashing or recovery...

1) How do I go about getting custom recovery? To me that is the most important thing to do.
2) I dont have a nandroid backup either -just went to the site nandroid site and it says I need the phone rooted before I can use nandroid backup (and I need something called busybox) I also need Clockwork Recovery (and I dont have that either).

It looks like I start with Rooting the phone, but not sure how to do that with my model.

Last edited:

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I cannot find the exact match for my model. How is that possible???? There is no kernel that matches my ROM but apparently there is 650 pages in one forum about this model.

Last edited:

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I know you people are probably rolling your eyes at how easy this is, but after a full day of research, I feel I am no closer to rooting this device. I have gone from one forum to another. All say the same thing, root your device with the closest kernel.

*Remember!: You should be flashing the rooted the CF-Root Kernel that matches your current firmware. If you are on KG2 then this KG2 root kernel is the proper match. If you are on something newer, then you can root with a newer CF-root kernel which can be found in the thread listed above.

But where is the heck is this information?
Here are my specs and I don't see anything like that :
se.infra (AT) ep-127 #3

So I am trying to follow rootings steps and can't get past the first part! If I can't find the root kernel that matches or even close, I cannot begin the process. Very frustrating.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know you people are probably rolling your eyes at how easy this is, but after a full day of research, I feel I am no closer to rooting this device. I have gone from one forum to another. All say the same thing, root your device with the closest kernel.

*Remember!: You should be flashing the rooted the CF-Root Kernel that matches your current firmware. If you are on KG2 then this KG2 root kernel is the proper match. If you are on something newer, then you can root with a newer CF-root kernel which can be found in the thread listed above.

But where is the heck is this information?
Here are my specs and I don't see anything like that :
se.infra (AT) ep-127 #3

So I am trying to follow rootings steps and can't get past the first part! If I can't find the root kernel that matches or even close, I cannot begin the process. Very frustrating.

Sorry, meant to check on this thread last night and forgot.
Let me poke around and see what I can find.

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
According to the website:
2. Download any of the CF-Root files available in the thread and save it to your Desktop.
He says to download any of the CF roots, but which one? In the off chance that this might screw up the phone, I hoped it would be more specific to my device. The CF files are from the xda forum, but there are loads and some of them older and newer. So which one?
Thank you for your assistance in this!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
According to the website:
2. Download any of the CF-Root files available in the thread and save it to your Desktop.
He says to download any of the CF roots, but which one? In the off chance that this might screw up the phone, I hoped it would be more specific to my device. The CF files are from the xda forum, but there are loads and some of them older and newer. So which one?
Thank you for your assistance in this!

I would go for the most up to date one.

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Went and re-rooted it again using another guide "rooting for dummies" with a different kernel and now it booted. Ok, what next? I am guessing flash a recovery? flash a build of CM along with the right build of gapps.? I want to put on 4.3, so will this all lead to that?

Backup, went to Root Checker and it says the device does not have a proper root! I used the
Siyah kernel.
3.0.31-Siyah-s2-v6.0b5+
Man, has anyone else experienced this much difficulty?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Went and re-rooted it again using another guide "rooting for dummies" with a different kernel and now it booted. Ok, what next? I am guessing flash a recovery? flash a build of CM along with the right build of gapps.? I want to put on 4.3, so will this all lead to that?

Backup, went to Root Checker and it says the device does not have a proper root!
Man, has anyone else experienced this much difficulty?

Yes, I would flash a custom recovery. After that, check and see if your root check app will grant root access.

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
How do I flash a custom recovery? What app? I tried the MK802 CWM recovery and it says the the program is designed for Android 4.04 and my version is android 4.1.2

Then I tried CWM and it tells me

This version of CWM Manager should be used with CF-Root v5.0 or newer It appears you are running a different kernel. Various features have been disabled

That doesn`t sound too good to me.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How do I flash a custom recovery? What app? I tried the MK802 CWM recovery and it says the the program is designed for Android 4.04 and my version is android 4.1.2

Then I tried CWM and it tells me

This version of CWM Manager should be used with CF-Root v5.0 or newer It appears you are running a different kernel. Various features have been disabled

That doesn`t sound too good to me.

Cwm can be flashed in Odin. As I recall, you can get the file from clockwork mods website.

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Here is the method:

How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S2 (Canadian) | TheUnlockr

I had to use Siyah kernel and not the one listed because - when I used the one listed in the link, the phone hung at the start up screen. I tried flashing again using the Siyah kernel and this time it booted (yellow triangle and all).

There are two screen shots of the phone now.

Attachments

• newphone.jpg
    newphone.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2
  • superuser.jpg
    superuser.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 12