I'm an undergrad student working on a research project. The idea is to recommend songs to users based on their playlists. The app can be found on the Play store; search for "Muskrat Music Recommender". It uploads the song information from your playlists to a server which then returns a list of recommendations for each playlist. It can take the "regular" playlists stored on your device as well as your Spotify playlists.

The app does still need beta testers (it only has about 15 downloads so far), but what I really need is just more playlist data for the recommender system. Hopefully requests for research participants are alright in this forum :) Also, keep in mind that the recommendations aren't very good right now (since we don't have much data yet).

Here are a couple screenshots:

Muskrat Music Recommender -- need research participants/beta testers-screenshot_20160909-170711.jpg

Muskrat Music Recommender -- need research participants/beta testers-screenshot_20160909-170729.jpg
    09-09-2016 06:42 PM
    I always looked for such an app. How is your app doing and are you still working on it?
    09-26-2016 10:20 AM
    Sorry for the late response! I am still working on it. For the purposes of the research project (which has a deadline of 31 December), I've decided to use Amazon mechanical turk to get more users + data. Hopefully it'll yield some interesting results. Unfortunately I don't get a ton of time to work on the project since right now it has to take a backseat to my classes + part-time job + practicing for orchestra rehearsals....

If this type of thing interests you, I can keep you posted with the future progress. I'm joining one of my professor's research labs next year, and I'll continue to work on projects like this. For instance, I'd like to start by making a music player app that would learn what "mood" you're currently in (i.e. which songs you want to listen to) based on when you skip tracks. It would effectively make the playlists for you. I especially like the idea because I can skip tracks on my phone by holding down one of the volume buttons, so I don't even need to take it out of my pocket. Compared to that, Pandora is inconvenient since I have to take the phone out to thumbs up/down a track.

Once that project is complete, I can glue it together with this project. The grand vision is to create an app that plays exactly the music you want to listen to and finds new music for you, all with minimal input from the user.
    10-04-2016 06:05 PM