Claystone Launcher- Looking for beta feedback and suggestions for improvement

kevtoronto

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Claystone 1.0 ( 7 June 20011)

Let us know what you think, if you have any feedback or suggestions. We had great success in XDA-Forums and wanted to also post this in Android Central to reach a different Android community for some fresh ideas and a critical eye.

Overview

Claystone is a new 3D Android home screen replacement and launcher. We currently distributing developer preview betas to improve the product and get valuable feedback from the developer community. We are looking for feedback about the UI, stability, and overall functionality before we launch on Android Market.

What is unique about this home screen replacement is a 3D user interface with embedded viewers for video, photos, file browsing, web browser, YouTube, contacts, RSS news feeds, and more. The UI was designed for browsing content while you are viewing content.

Feature Summary

- Android 2.1 and higher home screen replacement
- Smart phone optimized
- 3D interface taking advantage of OpenGL
- Integrated media viewer apps for video, file browser, YouTube, web browser, photos, contacts, RSS reader, with more to come?
- Viewer apps bring functionality to the home screen and extending what you can do directly from your home screen in Android
- Claystone reduces the dependence on starting separate app for each media content type and our goal is to provide a more convenient and integrated experience

Getting Started Guide (PDF Format)

- http://claystoneinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Claystone-User-Guide-1.0.pdf

Technical Support

- Claystone — Support

Last edited:
Reactions: geraldstorms

geraldstorms

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Finally :)

I love that you all made a 3D interface, SPB is eh. I'm sure this beta will be a great home replacement! Looking forward to beta testing! I also love that you're integrating a media viewer, very good for me who is always looking at pics and video, it'll be a ton easier to do so from the home screen.

eze036

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
im having lots of force closes when i try to get into messages, settings or market...i have a rooted nexus s 4g running cyangenmod 7

kevtoronto

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
A few questions...

im having lots of force closes when i try to get into messages, settings or market...i have a rooted nexus s 4g running cyangenmod 7

We are currently working on our 1.0 final release. Thank you for the feedback.

If you have a crash log you can send me- this would really help. It is hard to diagnose the issue without this information.

When you get into Market and Messages where in the Claystone are you entering from?

kevtoronto

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.

The integrated viewers are really one of our main selling features. Spread the word if you like Claystone. We will be releasing our 1.0 version very soon with transparent panels.

eze036

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
We are currently working on our 1.0 final release. Thank you for the feedback.

If you have a crash log you can send me- this would really help. It is hard to diagnose the issue without this information.

When you get into Market and Messages where in the Claystone are you entering from?

from the homescreen..i unstalled and reinstalled works alot better now but itll force close still but id say after 5 times it will....i love the design and the Integration

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok first impression on Atrix 4g

I really like it.

There is one thing i would change. It feels like my screen is too small. The Content and Home icon above the dock take up waaay to much space. My idea is either make it so that if you slide your finger up towards notification bar, then the content panels jump up and then back down to go to home screens. Seems more 3d that way w/ the cube affect or whatever. Or have icons on the dock bar that would do it. I vote the gesture control. Currently nobody can use 4x4 widgets because of the home and content buttons. Web browser also pops up a different button above the dock. Might just want to make that another content page.

Biggest gripe is the app drawer is super slow.

Oh also, i used my task killer widget. Bad idea. It killed the launcher which isnt that bad but when it came back up the content panels would show. Even after i hit the app drawer button on the dock it would flicker and then not pop up. Had to reboot in order for it to come back.

Actually switching from any launcher to this launcher requieres a reboot because the content panel disappears. You can pull the app drawer up but when you close it the content panel goes away again.

Last edited:

OkieJoles

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok first impression on Atrix 4g

I really like it.

There is one thing i would change. It feels like my screen is too small. The Content and Home icon above the dock take up waaay to much space. My idea is either make it so that if you slide your finger up towards notification bar, then the content panels jump up and then back down to go to home screens. Seems more 3d that way w/ the cube affect or whatever. Or have icons on the dock bar that would do it. I vote the gesture control. Currently nobody can use 4x4 widgets because of the home and content buttons. Web browser also pops up a different button above the dock. Might just want to make that another content page.

Biggest gripe is the app drawer is super slow.

Oh also, i used my task killer widget. Bad idea. It killed the launcher which isnt that bad but when it came back up the content panels would show. Even after i hit the app drawer button on the dock it would flicker and then not pop up. Had to reboot in order for it to come back.

Actually switching from any launcher to this launcher requieres a reboot because the content panel disappears. You can pull the app drawer up but when you close it the content panel goes away again.

The screens do seem like a tight fit. I agree with the app drawer. And also when I click on the contacts icon, contact pictures from Facebook don't show up. That's just something that really stuck out to me. A weird thing that stuck out to me also was when you open a new panel, it says New Home Screen. Is there a way to turn that off?

However this is a great start and its very smooth looking, except for those dock icons... But I love it. But the tiny screens are making me want to go back to Go Launcher EX. Maybe once I start tinkering with it, I'll like it more ;) Great work!!!!

kevtoronto

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Claystone 1.0 released with a weekly updates...

Thanks for your feedback. We have been fine-tuning the UI and invested significant effort in making Claystone as stable as possible. We release Claystone 1.0 on June 14th with a weekly update on June 22.

I have passed your feedback along to our Dev team and we did a number of performance tweaks based on your comments.

The memory management in Claystone will be overhauled in a future update and there are big plans to build a memory management subsystem to handle low memory conditions as gracefully as possible

If you want to latest, we are posting weekly updates on Android Market, Handago, GetJar, slideme.org/, and Android Freeware Market.

kevtoronto

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Transparency Was Added- More Themes are Coming Soon

I am updating the screen shots today. We added transparency in the 1.0 release.

Our designers are now planning out some new themes for Claystone and if you have any preferences or suggestions for good theme styles, please let me know.

Cheers

Kevin
Product Manager
Claystone Inc.

Soverive

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Claystone Launcher- Looking for beta feedback and suggestions

Been playing with it for a few days and I like it. Only thing I would like is to see the wall paper image I currently have applied visable when in 3d stack mode. Other then that hope to see more teeks over all its an awesome idea

madushan92

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Great launcher... but had to uninstall..
Y do we need seperate apps for youtube,file managing etc when we already have one in the phone. If we were given the freedom of choosing which apps to be shown in video,music and pictures and other catogaries, it would be great. Also are there any live widgets? Like a time line for twitter which automatically scrolls.....

Nils.holgersson

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Claystone Launcher- Looking for beta feedback and suggestions

Hi,

Take a look att The Beta Family to find beta testers.
At first it looks like they only have iOS testers but they do have Android-support.

Just added my app there.

Would love to test your app

/Nils

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn