Official Car Dock

Timmaaay4

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Stupid Question: Car Dock

I un plugged the car dock and brought into the house to mess with it and the 1st time I put it in it worked not sure if it was if the ish was not connected or because my battery died and I put the extra one one. I don't think it was the latter as I rebooted my phone a couple times today to try to get it to work.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I'm highly unamused right now. Basically to get it to work with or without the case, I have to push down REALLY hard as it's not making good contact. If I lock it in place while pushing down, I got a 50/50 chance of it staying in dock mode. I suspect one nice bump will knock it out. I don't know if it's the dock or the phone but this ain't working for me.

jimdibb

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Mine worked automatically yesterday but this morning put it in the car dock and nothing.

This is the same for me. It started fine the first time, but today it didn't. I see two possibilities in my case:
1. I also bought the simple desktop dock, and set the "Gentle Alarm" app up as the default action for placing it that dock. Perhaps that has messed up the car dock.

2. More likely, it's a 'relaunch' bug. As I sit at my desk here, the CarDock app is still running - i.e. the "force stop" action is available in the manage apps control panel. Maybe at lunch, I'll try force stopping it, then putting it in the dock and see if it starts up correctly.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

For me, the jack that the power cable is plugged into in my car isn't active until I start the car. And I've found that with the case on, I have to push it down a little extra in the dock before it recognizes it. So basically I have to start the car, then slide it into the dock, and press down a bit while locking it. THEN it works.

jimdibb

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I just also found that power must be available while inserting for the vehicle dock mode to work. I didn't realize mine wasn't plugged in when I tried it this morning.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

ok 2 things 1 there is no magnets ive had the car dock apart . 2, mine launches even if thers no power to the car dock . i have actually went inside and cut the wire inside the dock to stop it from launching as i dont wont automatic landscape .

Markurski

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

Here's a question for a techie about the cardock...let me know if I should move this ques to another thread.
Is there a way to permanently disable the warning page that comes up everytime you put the Bionic into the cardock? It's a splash page that comes up that you have to hit "agree" to to be able to use the NAV. it comes up everytime you go to/from the home page...it's annoying as f*%k! :mad:

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

LOL! You should read it a little closer. Checking it makes it come up every time. Scroll it to the bottom and uncheck it. ;)

Reactions: DINGSTER1

Markurski

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

LOL! You should read it a little closer. Checking it makes it come up every time. Scroll it to the bottom and uncheck it. ;)

Ahh, thanks samuri! I feel like an idiot! Never thought about trying to scroll that page down! Figured it would be something easy like that...after looking through the cardock settings page, there is also a box you can un-check there. :)

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Ahh, thanks samuri! I feel like an idiot! Never thought about trying to scroll that page down! Figured it would be something easy like that...after looking through the cardock settings page, there is also a box you can un-check there. :)

HAHAHAHA. It happens to all of us. :)

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I thought I would add to this thread with some thoughts on the actual use of the dock for those that are still on the fence about getting it.

1. Entry/Exit - coming from the Thunderbolt the Bionic is much different going in and coming out of the dock. With the Thunderbolt I had to apply a good amount of pressure to the top part of the phone before the phone would "click" into the connector. Same thing with removing it. This always annoyed me and there were a few times where I pulled the dock off the windshield when trying to get the phone out of the dock. All this has changed with the Bionic. The Bionic simply slides in and out with no force whatsoever. It's very nice and a welcome change. The clip that locks the phone in the dock also has a nice, premium feel.

2. Moto dock app - this is another huge difference between the Bionic and Tbolt. The dock app is customizable in that it allows me to add apps to the application. I love this and it was not possible on the stock HTC dock. Youtube, NFL Mobile and my choice of other apps are simply a swipe away now rather than having to fiddle with various home screens.

3. Landscape home screens - if you need to leave the moto dock app all your home screens are nicely landscaped. This wasn't the case with the Tbolt and it annoyed me. I no longer have to read things sideways.

Overall the experience is several steps above what I was getting with the Tbolt. I'm quite happy with it and feel the dock was worth every penny. I'd recommend it to anyone who spends a lot of time in their vehicle.

On a side note being able to watch NFL football live in the car while driving is simply amazing (and quite dangerous!)

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've renamed the thread to be the "official" car dock thread. I think that will be useful. I agree that the car dock is lightyears ahead of even the Droid dock. Having the dock always be powered instead of having to plug the phone in and then placing it in the dock is awesome. I DO have to apply some pressure when inserting the phone into the dock on mine because of my cause, but, if I lock it while doing that I generally don't have a problem. I love how it clips in...very easy to insert and remove it from the dock which makes it more likely that every time I get in the car, even when driving across town, I'll throw it in there and turn on the T505. All in all, the car dock experience has been great.

brnscofrnld

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

I didn't see an icon for the car dock either. I actually don't have a car dock, but on the OG Droid, I was able to have the car home app start up when it connected to my car's bluetooth. Is there any way to do that with this phone??

I'm really missing this feature as well. I was hoping that this would be an option with the Bionic since I loved that on my OG it would just connect to my car and automatically turn on the car mode.

Hopefully this gets figured out.

pkooistra

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
What cases work with the car dock? I can't seem to find a thread that answers that question. I was thinking about the otterbox commuter, but can't find if it works with the docks or not. I need a case that will give decent protection and work with the Car/home docks

Any help would be appreciated.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have an awesome silicone case on mine and it works more or less with the car dock. It requires a little downward pressure to make it work, but, it does work. I don't know about the otterbox case.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
What cases work with the car dock? I can't seem to find a thread that answers that question. I was thinking about the otterbox commuter, but can't find if it works with the docks or not. I need a case that will give decent protection and work with the Car/home docks

Any help would be appreciated.

Neither Otterbox case will work with the OEM docks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995