Is a screen protector necessary?

CobbFC09

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
This is my first Android phone. I understand that the screen is scratch resistant, but obviously not scratch proof. So is a screen protected even needed?

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
This is my first Android phone. I understand that the screen is scratch resistant, but obviously not scratch proof. So is a screen protected even needed?

Honestly, taking the screen protector off of my Droid Incredible was the best thing I ever did. Didn't even think twice about not purchasing one with my Bionic. Gorilla glass is awesome, holds up to my keys and everything else in my pockets. The Incredible still looks like it did when it was new out of the box.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Completely necessary in my opinion. Just get a high quality one and you'll never even realize its on there. None of that Zagg garbage. I recommended Steinheil Ultra Crystal. Completely unnoticeable once on and feels like glass.

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Completely necessary in my opinion. Just get a high quality one and you'll never even realize its on there. None of that Zagg garbage. I recommended Steinheil Ultra Crystal. Completely unnoticeable once on and feels like glass.

I searched for Steinheil Ultra Crystal, but all I could find were screen protectors for the iPhone.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, taking the screen protector off of my Droid Incredible was the best thing I ever did. Didn't even think twice about not purchasing one with my Bionic. Gorilla glass is awesome, holds up to my keys and everything else in my pockets. The Incredible still looks like it did when it was new out of the box.

I'm thinking of going without one. Purchased the one from Verizon and they even installed it for me.
That was a complete waste of money. It was a fingerprint and smudge magnet.
Made the screen's clarity very hazy. It didn't cover the entire front, only the screen.
So I ended up feeling the edges of it while swiping on the screen.
I removed it and I've been happy ever since.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of going without one. Purchased the one from Verizon and they even installed it for me.
Made the screen's clarity very hazy. It didn't cover the entire front, only the screen.

Screen protectors from the carrier store are always garbage. Stienheils website is sgpstore.com. They have them for the Bionic, I just looked. Give it a shot, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. No on can even tell there are protectors on my gear. Completely clear and feels like glass.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Screen protectors from the carrier store are always garbage. Stienheils website is sgpstore.com. They have them for the Bionic, I just looked. Give it a shot, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. No on can even tell there are protectors on my gear. Completely clear and feels like glass.

Which type do you recommend?

Steinheil?Ultra Crystal

Steinheil?Ultra Optics

Steinheil?Ultra Oleophobic

Steinheil?Ultra Fine

I saw this when I came across the different type screen protectors they had for it.
SGP Motorola Droid Bionic Screen Protector Steinheil Series - Droid Bionic - Motorola - Cell Phones

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The Ultra Crystal. Hands down the best out there.

I was debating which one should I get, because I saw this as a description:

Ultra Optics is our newest product which is anti-fingerprint and anti-glare and does not interfere with retina display.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I was debating which one should I get, because I saw this as a description:

Ultra Optics is our newest product which is anti-fingerprint and anti-glare and does not interfere with retina display.

I've never used the Ultra Optics, but on their chart, it doesn't have the clarity or hardness of the Ultra Crystal. I guess it depends what you are looking for. I don't have a problem wiping my fingerprints off occasionally, and the clarity of the Ultra Crystal is unparalleled in my experience. Give it a shot.

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com

I think they're a waste of money on today's phones. People don't give credit where credit is due to Corning's Gorilla Glass. The only thing you're going to have to worry about is cracking the glass, and no screen protector in the world will save the phone from that, maybe hold it together but it'll still crack. Just go without one and save the money for a dock or extra battery if this guy hasn't already convinced you otherwise.

Last edited:

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I think they're a waste of money on today's phones. People don't give credit where credit is due to Corning's Gorilla Glass. The only thing you're going to have to worry about is cracking the glass, and no screen protector in the world will save the phone from that, maybe hold it together but it'll still crack. Just go without one and save the money for a dock or extra battery if this guy hasn't already convinced you otherwise.

I give Gorilla Glass plenty of credit, but apparently you give it too much. It can, and will, scratch. Any type of sand, or dirt with any sand in it will scratch it. Just seems silly to me to not protect a $500 phone with a $14 screen protector that is undetectable once on. Its just a matter of time before everyone who hasn't scratched a screen actually does and then kicks themselves for not using common sense.

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
I give Gorilla Glass plenty of credit, but apparently you give it too much. It can, and will, scratch. Any type of sand, or dirt with any sand in it will scratch it. Just seems silly to me to not protect a $500 phone with a $14 screen protector that is undetectable once on. Its just a matter of time before everyone who hasn't scratched a screen actually does and then kicks themselves for not using common sense.

I've taken my Droid Incredible to Galveston Beach, Pensacola Beach, and numerous other place where there are things that would cause scratches and to this day is has none, not a single blemish of any sort on the glass, and I've dropped it in quite a few undesirable places such as ON the beach, in the sand.. brushed it away, never a problem.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I've taken my Droid Incredible to Galveston Beach, Pensacola Beach, and numerous other place where there are things that would cause scratches and to this day is has none, not a single blemish of any sort on the glass, and I've dropped it in quite a few undesirable places such as ON the beach, in the sand.. brushed it away, never a problem.

I don't know what to tell you other than you are incredibly lucky, or making up stories. Gorilla Glass does scratch. Proven fact. I'm glad yours never has, but it happens. Easily preventable with a screen protector, and with some of the amazing ones out there, there's no reason not to have one

IRSmurf

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Zagg had completely soured me to screen protectors. In my experience, the screen protectors looked frosted after a few months. And changing them was a huge pain in the butt.

I've gone for years without "protection" and it feels great. (Yuck, yuck) Seriously, swiping my bare finger on this screen feels wonderful compared to the plastic screen protectors.

If you use your phone with dirty fingers, then get one. If you're like me, a cubicle dweller who's as likely to get motor oil and dirt under the nails as winning an Olympic gold medal for 100m dash, enjoy the fine polish of a (basically) real glass screen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

IRSmurf

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site

IMO, the value proposition not nearly as important as enjoying / encouraging the use of my Bionic. That's not to say I'm swimming in a sea of gold, (a la Scrooge McDuck), but the sensation of the bare screen is of far more value to me than protection from the unlikely situation of accidentally putting my phone and keys in the same pocket.

Bottom line: If it weren't fire this lovely bare screen, I probably wouldn't have the desire to Swype all these words on my phone.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Zagg had completely soured me to screen protectors. In my experience, the screen protectors looked frosted after a few months. And changing them was a huge pain in the butt.

I've gone for years without "protection" and it feels great. (Yuck, yuck) Seriously, swiping my bare finger on this screen feels wonderful compared to the plastic screen protectors.

If you use your phone with dirty fingers, then get one. If you're like me, a cubicle dweller who's as likely to get motor oil and dirt under the nails as winning an Olympic gold medal for 100m dash, enjoy the fine polish of a (basically) real glass screen.

But see, here's your problem. You're talking about Zagg, a company that hasn't improved their design in years. It's the equivalent of me saying I don't like cell phones because my Razor sucked. There have been vast improvements, bit many don't know because they keep buying that Zagg crap, or other wet protectors. I'm going to post a link to another topic where I talked a guy into getting a Steinheil for his Transformer. Maybe his reaction will convince you. He was in the same boat thinking Zagg was the only game in town. Now he realizes how wrong he was.

The bottom line really is that if you love the lovely bare screen, get a protector that feels just like that lovely bare screen. They are out there, you just don't realize it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user