SGP Ultra Oleophobic issue with proximity detector

envizion

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
hey guys, just a heads up. i just received and installed the SGP Ultra Oleophobic on my bionic. seems like it has issues with the proximity detector. it turns my screen off whenever i make a call. not sure if other versions of the protector will have the same issue. i'll try to get a video up.

jding88

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
That's really disappointing to hear. I was planning on buying this brands screen protectors because I heard good things. Now that I know it has a proximity sensor issue I think I'll be staying away. Do they have a cut out for the phone's sensor? Or does the screen protector just cover the whole thing?

envizion

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
there are only cutouts for the camera and ear part. it covers the entire raised part of the screen and fits perfectly, just disappointed with the sensor issue. couldn't even use skype. i'm still waiting for a response from their customer service.

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I feared this might happen after seeing that there wasn't a cutout for the proximity sensor but I went ahead and ordered the ultra clear one anyway. Please keep us updated with what customer service says.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I feared this might happen after seeing that there wasn't a cutout for the proximity sensor but I went ahead and ordered the ultra clear one anyway. Please keep us updated with what customer service says.

I would assume the Crystal ones wouldn't have the same issue as the Oleophobic. My guess is because they are thicker and have a matte finish on them that it's too dark for the proximity sensor. The Crystal ones are like putting on air (if that makes sense) so I would think it might be different. I could be wrong, but just my thoughts.

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I would assume the Crystal ones wouldn't have the same issue as the Oleophobic. My guess is because they are thicker and have a matte finish on them that it's too dark for the proximity sensor. The Crystal ones are like putting on air (if that makes sense) so I would think it might be different. I could be wrong, but just my thoughts.

I went ahead and cancelled it anyway. Didn't want to take the risk lol.

But if anyone here happened to have purchased it, please post up your experience with the ultra clear screen protector!

envizion

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
an update. i ordered from cretouch.com and they were pretty quick with their reply. they have informed SGP about the issue and offered a refund or replacement for me. i opted for a replacement so they are now sending me a set of the ultra crystal. hopefully it won't have the same issue. in the meantime, for a temp fix i sort of scissored out a strip of the screen protector along the top right where it covers the sensors. a bit crude but eh it works.

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
an update. i ordered from cretouch.com and they were pretty quick with their reply. they have informed SGP about the issue and offered a refund or replacement for me. i opted for a replacement so they are now sending me a set of the ultra crystal. hopefully it won't have the same issue. in the meantime, for a temp fix i sort of scissored out a strip of the screen protector along the top right where it covers the sensors. a bit crude but eh it works.

Great, let us know how that one turns out!

non_sequitur

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the Ultra Crystal and have the problem with the proximity sensor. The screen will always remain disabled if I pull the phone away mid call to access the dialpad, and most of the time the proximity sensor engages right away after starting a call. I can get the get the screen back by pressing the power button, but since I've added a case it's not the easiest button to press when in a huff over having to press it in the first place.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Have this issue as well, for this price I expect the screen protector to allow the phone to function.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I emailed their customer support about the proximity issue and I wanted to forward to you guys their response:

"We are redesigning the screen protectors after Motorola’s announcement about the proximity sensor.
The screen protector should arrive sometime next week."

So looks like i'll be re-ordering mine next week.

lakilaulea

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Can you update when you put it on? I have a Skinomi on mine and am having issues with the sensor as well, so I'd like to get another protector.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if they got the proximity sensor issue fixed? I've tried emailing and haven't gotten a reply. I'm thinking about buying them now anyway and seeing if they will exchange them for me once they get it fixed.

envizion

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
afaik people are getting emails of delayed shipping due to them sending their defective protectors back to korea, but some are still getting the same defective protectors.

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
As I posted in a similar thread. The sensor issue has been resolved, atleast on the ultra crystal ones. I just received mine and they have cut outs for all the sensors and the phone works as intended.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk