Replacing "Default" Apps after freezing

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So mjforte pointed out this problem in a diff thread that I'm having also. Thought it would be alright to start a thread here for it since we may get some more hack-savvy responses.

Downloaded QuickPic to replace the stock gallery. However the camera app only seems to let you view last photo using the stock app. In my case, I froze the stock one after installing QuickPic since I don't plan to use it or want it connecting to facebook or anything. Is there any way to set the camera app to default to QuickPic now for viewing last photo taken?

I know I "could" just unfreeze/defrost the gallery and deal with it for this purpose, but I'm hoping there may be a way to circumvent the whole thing. Thanks in advance!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just tried Gallery 3D on my own actually and unfortunately can't seem to find the option to set it as the default for that issue either. Also don't like that you can't sort the photos differently, like when I go into the camera roll it always starts at the beginning, whereas in QuickPic you can set it to always open into the last folder you were in and viewing by most recent. Much more handy if you have a lot of pics in there. G3D definitely gets the prettiness award though.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
How did you get QuickPic to install? It says it's not available for the Bionic.

That's odd. For most app installs I do it from my computer because I just find it easier (if I'm home, obviously). Open the market on your comp (http://market.android.com/), Make sure your logged in to the same gmail account that owns your phone (obviously), then search for the app. When you open its listing, it should say on the left-hand side, highlighted in Green: "This app is compatible with your Verizon Motorola DROID BIONIC." Then you can just click to install it form there and it will send it right to your phone. Try it that way.. refresh or something if it says incompatible... it worked without a hitch for me.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I installed quickpic on mine a few days ago. Much better than stock.

I guess the camera app is coded to look for that specific gallery only. Normally in other situations you will get a popup with a choice of apps to use and a check mark if you want to set your choice as the default app.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If you unfreeze the OG app you might get prompted to choose the default. This is hypothetical.

Nah. With it frozen, if you click the thumbnail from the camera app it will just tell you "No gallery installed" or something similar... After unfreezing it will use the stock gallery. I unfroze it just so that I can use the last pic thumbnail, I just use QuickPic now for any other gallery browsing I want to do.

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I can CONFIRM that you can use quickpic for viewing the last taken pic (thumbnail)

After installing quickpic and taking a pic, then clicking the thumbnail I was prompted with the original gallery along with quickpic, and maybe another I don't remember. Anyway I checked the box and chose quickpic and it defaults to it everytime.

I believe you may have run into trouble due to the fact that you originally had gallery frozen.

Have you tried uninstalling quickpic, unfreezing gallery then reinstalling quickpic and trying it? As long as you get the prompt you can refreeze the gallery after that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

frasej

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
That's odd. For most app installs I do it from my computer because I just find it easier (if I'm home, obviously). Open the market on your comp (http://market.android.com/), Make sure your logged in to the same gmail account that owns your phone (obviously), then search for the app. When you open its listing, it should say on the left-hand side, highlighted in Green: "This app is compatible with your Verizon Motorola DROID BIONIC." Then you can just click to install it form there and it will send it right to your phone. Try it that way.. refresh or something if it says incompatible... it worked without a hitch for me.

I did that and it says that it is not compatible with my Bionic. It is compatible with my other Android devices.