Question about "bricking"..

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I know a few people have managed to brick their's already or get it stuck in boot-loops and stuff like that.. I'd just like to know how you did that if you could share as a warning to people so we know what not to do, lol. Like, I'm rooted and used titanium to freeze bloat, but nothing else. Might my phone still be in potential danger if I don't screw around with anything else regarding superuser?

Does the fact that its rooted alone open it up to potential bricking even if you're very careful with what you use it for, or did you guys do something accidentally that actually caused the brickage? Thanks, I think the info can be helpful to the newer android users like myself :)

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I know a few people have managed to brick their's already or get it stuck in boot-loops and stuff like that.. I'd just like to know how you did that if you could share as a warning to people so we know what not to do, lol. Like, I'm rooted and used titanium to freeze bloat, but nothing else. Might my phone still be in potential danger if I don't screw around with anything else regarding superuser?

Does the fact that its rooted alone open it up to potential bricking even if you're very careful with what you use it for, or did you guys do something accidentally that actually caused the brickage? Thanks, I think the info can be helpful to the newer android users like myself :)

rooting by itself will not brick the phone. Rooting just gives you elevated permissions know as superuser or root user. Just like when using Linux OS you have to login as a superuser to make certain changes.

It is what you do with root access that can cause danger. Because now that you have it you then have the ability to delete very important files. It is good that you at least on froze your bloat and not deleted. That way if it causes an issue, you can simply unfreeze it.

If you wanted you could actually use root to make changes then unroot so that you don't accidently cause any damage later on. But most people leave root intact for apps that require it such as wireless tethering and others such as apps that take screenshots.

Reactions: 2defmouze

lehthanis

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Rooting by itself should not brick the phone...unless something goes wrong during the root process, which is rare I believe. Bricking is usually from tampering with the system folders in order to remove or add things that weren't originally there. If you remove something that something else relies on to operate you could cause force closes and reboots...

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys.. so, assuming the only app I have that has superuser permissions is titanium backup, and the only thing I've done that needs root is freeze bloat and backup things using that program, I shouldn't have to worry about one day waking up to a bricked bionic?

I realize I may, and probably will, eventually find other things to do with root access, but I'm the cautious type so I do not think I'll ever go changing system files on my own. I'd only use trusted/respected programs to do things (i.e. take screenshots or whatever)... so I should not have to worry about anything?

idefiler6

Banned
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
As long as none of the bloat you freeze is essential to another function you need. Should be fine. If you start noticing weird things happening, try unfreezing first before getting too crazy.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys.. so, assuming the only app I have that has superuser permissions is titanium backup, and the only thing I've done that needs root is freeze bloat and backup things using that program, I shouldn't have to worry about one day waking up to a bricked bionic?

I realize I may, and probably will, eventually find other things to do with root access, but I'm the cautious type so I do not think I'll ever go changing system files on my own. I'd only use trusted/respected programs to do things (i.e. take screenshots or whatever)... so I should not have to worry about anything?

Just be careful what your clicking on. Titanium Backup can be just as dangerous as poking around in the system folder. It also has the ability to delete critical files.

Eventually it will not be a big deal in the future once we have an sbf and can flash nand backups. If you brick it now you may have to wait days, weeks or however long before the resources need to recover a brick show up.