Should I root?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Still would call myself a bit of an Android Noob. I'm technically savvy but don't want to jack up my phone. I also have a Mac, so figure that into the mix.

Anyway, I'm considering rooting for really the sole purpose of trying to better my battery life - I wouldn't consider myself a heavy user by any stretch and find myself with about 30% left on my Extended Battery every night around 9-10pm (off charger for 12-14 hrs). Not horrible, I know, but I feel like it should be better. I never ran that Social crap that kills batteries, and since Spare Parts' partial wake usage portion FC's with Gingerbread, I haven't been able to really delve into what's killing my battery. Seems messing around with the settings does a lot of damage.

Anyway, should I root? Wouldn't mind a better camera app either... but if the OTA Moto fixes update truly comes out in November, it might fix a bunch of stuff...?

I'm also having some goofy things happen on my phone, like notification settings not working properly (i.e. I hit some settings that yell "LOSS OF SERVICE" and "VERIZON WIRELESS" when I go in and out of coverage, and yells "VERIZON WIRELESS" before every incoming phone call. I turned everything off but they won't go away... have had a couple of BSODs but not for a while.

Maybe I should just factory reset and start from scratch again first?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I've never rooted a phone before. looks fairly simple even on Mac and I think you can unroot fairly easily if needed/wanted... right?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It is very simple if you are reasonably good at following directions, and their are plenty of good directions available here. Read everything a couple times, know what to expect, and you won't have any problems. After rooting, just make sure you educate yourself on what is safe to do, and what is not safe to do, and use your common sense / good judgement on everything in between :) I was a complete android/rooting noob as well before I got my bionic, and I've had zero problems since going through with it.

As for improving your battery life.. I can't say exactly what you're hoping will do that. I will tell you that the unl3ash3d / r3blurr3d ROM that is available includes this Powerboost script which DRAMATICALLY improves battery life as well as other things. Obviously ROMing is another thing that you have to feel comfortable with.. but I'll say if I was able to do it with no experience, just reading up and following instructions, and have zero problems, you should be able to figure it out without worry. Always remember to read everything you can and if you still have questions just ask before getting started. Good luck!

EDIT: oh also I don't know about those other issues you're having, maybe just try a simple factory reset and see if you can clear that up.