1-click method for upgrading to .901

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
The (possibly official) .901 update seems to be causing a lot of issues, but it seems that this page: Getting back to OTA upgrade path, retaining root, 901 installation has the best tutorial I've seen on upgrading from any update to the .901 update using P3Droid's 1-Click method and a patch that fixes the root not working after installing .893 and .901.
I'm finishing up updating to .901 and going back to KIN3TIX right now, but without the patch I did something and ended up with a big fat brick, and the top of the guide had a link to another great guide to unbrick myself and get me back to updating to .901.
EDIT: Yeah, just finished all that up, had an issue with getting stuck in Fastboot, but he had a handy link to a thread on how to fix that as well. I'm now stock on .901, going to install KIN3TIX.

Last edited:

idivorceyou

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I, too, am stock at .901. I would love to get root again and get kinetx.
stock .901 is pretty good, and the look and feel options available via launcher and apps is acceptable, but ultimately I want root back.

So how are you, from .901, going to root and then flash kinetx?
there is no 1 click or direct way. it all seems so convoluted.
Please post your method and results!

thanks

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, sometimes it is a little convoluted. Here's what I did to ultimately get there:

-- Used P3's one-click method here, Bionic Path Saver 1-Click Method, which pushes both the 893 and 901 update files to your SD card as part of the process
-- this process got all the way to 893, but failed when trying to re-root, so I used P3's one-click exploit here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12050927/1-click_exploit.zip to get rooted
-- then I applied forever root using this R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki
-- then rebooted, double-checked I had root
-- rebooted into stock recovery and applied the 901 update already pushed to my SD card
-- rebooted and verified I kept root
-- installed Kin3tx with 901 patch from OP link here .901 radio working with custom rom! - RootzWiki
--set it up as usual. Tada.

Though this does seem convoluted, and YMMV, i.e. there may be an easier way, it actually didn't take too long and you just have to follow the steps.

Reactions: cmgeek

idivorceyou

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
thanks LDubs. I always enjoy your posts, as it seems you've made every mistake I have and continue to push ahead, putting in the hours and reading all the posts.

I may just do it! All I really miss from being rooted is the pull down menu and the wifi tethering app.

I dont know if going back to kinetx will give me more speed, better battery, faster downloads, make me run faster or jump higher, but I miss the wifi tether for sure. It's also much cooler to be rooted:D

How do you double check you have root? is there an app for that?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, there's a free app on the market called Root Check Basic. Or just fire up an app that you know requires root, like Titanium or bootstrapper, and see if they request root and load properly.

And yes, seems like I've been here there and everywhere with this thing, but this and other forums have an awesome dedicated membership that also has either been there and come thru, or knows what to do if you get stuck...

Stock unrooted bloated is really really boring.

Reactions: idivorceyou

idivorceyou

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
of course, major problems. probably because I came from 901
go thru all the hoops. then after the appropriate number of reboots, I get the boot failure.
tried the exploit.
daemon started successfully. NOTHING happens.
what now????

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, sometimes it is a little convoluted. Here's what I did to ultimately get there:

-- Used P3's one-click method here, Bionic Path Saver 1-Click Method, which pushes both the 893 and 901 update files to your SD card as part of the process
-- this process got all the way to 893, but failed when trying to re-root, so I used P3's one-click exploit here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12050927/1-click_exploit.zip to get rooted
-- then I applied forever root using this R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki
-- then rebooted, double-checked I had root
-- rebooted into stock recovery and applied the 901 update already pushed to my SD card
-- rebooted and verified I kept root
-- installed Kin3tx with 901 patch from OP link here .901 radio working with custom rom! - RootzWiki
--set it up as usual. Tada.

Though this does seem convoluted, and YMMV, i.e. there may be an easier way, it actually didn't take too long and you just have to follow the steps.
That's pretty much what I did as well, and what was outlined in the thread I posted (although he wrote a lot more details, and a little bit of unneeded information lol) So far .901 is getting me better signal and it's sticking better...and the battery life is slightly better.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
of course, major problems. probably because I came from 901
go thru all the hoops. then after the appropriate number of reboots, I get the boot failure.
tried the exploit.
daemon started successfully. NOTHING happens.
what now????

There's a thing in the guide I posted, are you getting a boot failure due to the cdt.bin file?

idivorceyou

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
this brought me back to 886 stock: Unbrick Your Bionic Here - RootzWiki
now it is time to root, etc.
here we go....!

update & comment

well well well, look who unbricked twice yesterday, went back to stock 886, forever rooted, updated to 893, updated to 901, flashed kinetix 901 capable (and a tpack and a theme), reinstalled all apps, and got it all workin? that's right, me.

the "Unbrick Your Bionic Here" link above is the unbrick magic bullet. bookmark it somebody. First I downloaded the latest moto drivers, the latest rsd lite, flashed the "flashme" xml created by Timmy10shoes and twice (don't ask) easily unbricked.

had to macgyver the battery again!

because I was on 901, I had to run the 901fix.bat associated with bionic pathsaver, which bing bang boom fixed the issue and rebooted the phone.

the developers and the bionic community - in all the many forums out there - are the best.

Last edited:

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello I read the post and checked out the links. I seem to understand them up untill this

May be a noob question but but how is this done, and then could one stop after 901 is installed and root verified? if I was not interested in installing a custom ROM I would not need to proceed to Kin3tx??

Correct?

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Hello I read the post and checked out the links. I seem to understand them up untill this

May be a noob question but but how is this done, and then could one stop after 901 is installed and root verified? if I was not interested in installing a custom ROM I would not need to proceed to Kin3tx??

Correct?

Reboot your phone into recovery by holding down both volume rockers and the power button at the same time > select recovery > apply update from SD card.

Assuming you correctly pushed the .901 update to your phone it will be there. click on it and install.

I used the script at the bottom of the OP's post below to get to .901 rooted, which made me lose my radios until I flashed the custom ROM.

• View topic - Getting to 5.9.901 with Root