How rootable?

Droid hungry

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
So I'm not sure if anyone will actually see this for a while but how rootable will this phone be and can we flash custom roms on it? The only way I'm getting a moto phone is if I can get a rom on it. I'm not a big fan of motoblur. But I am loving CM7 on my dinc. I just want dual core really badly lol.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Hmm that's hard to tell if it's like the atrix it may be rooted but custom roms like cm7 are out until the security is fully broken which is doubt will happen any time soon. Honestly in hoping they open this device up but I doubt it

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
You'll be able to do anything on it but flash custom kernels. So, if a dev was able to get CM7 working on the stock kernel (not saying whether that's easy or extremely difficult, I don't know), then yes you could flash CM7. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon though.

That being said, ROMs built around the stock kernel are made for Moto devices and are quite nice (even having a Droid 1, I'm somewhat jealous of my friend's Droid 2 because the ROM makes the phone pretty good, I believe he's using Liberty now). Something to consider.

PS: It also depends on if the dev community is strong. Something I keep forgetting (though probably partly because it's kinda sad) is that the Motorola Milestone (the Droid's locked down GSM counterpart) has a very tireless dev community going, and because of that, they DO have CyanogenMod 7 up and running on the Milestone despite the locked bootloader. I couldn't tell you what their method was, I need to go to XDA and ask sometime, but I imagine that only a (no offense guys) somewhat lackluster dev community impedes the Droid 2/X and in the future the Bionic from getting a port of CM7.

Last edited:

judasmachine

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Yeah hopefully it'll at least get a ROM like Liberty. It's snappy and Blurless and very AOSP-like. If JRummy or someone like him can crack that much of the nut I am so getting a Bionic.

I just hope there are devs that are willing to take on another Moto-locked beast.

/holding breath, and crossing my fingers

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Motorola has unlocked the Atrix with the GB update...keep fingers crossed that they will do this for all their future devices!!!!

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why so many people are worried about Verizon preventing this. Has Verizon made any public statements about locking their phones? They have plenty of unlocked phones available right now, including all of their 4G handsets.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure why so many people are worried about Verizon preventing this. Has Verizon made any public statements about locking their phones? They have plenty of unlocked phones available right now, including all of their 4G handsets.

Because it is the "cool" thing to do that and hate on blur lmao. I am sure they will have root relatively quick after launch if not before launch. I mean how many moto phones have been rooted before they launched? It is like the devs want to prove they cant be stopped.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I dont think the bionic will be unlocked "Out of the Box" ,,since I read via tweeter that the droid 3 was locked down .Sounds like Moto wasnt serious about releasing phones unlocked from the factory after all.( or at least the ones vzw gets)

rootzwiki

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
If the droid3 has any grounds to stand on in terms of the bionic software, then the bionic should launch with 2.3.4 - which is currently not rootable with any current method except that new temproot method for htc devices from teamwinning

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I dont think the bionic will be unlocked "Out of the Box" ,,since I read via tweeter that the droid 3 was locked down .Sounds like Moto wasnt serious about releasing phones unlocked from the factory after all.( or at least the ones vzw gets)

they said they would unlock them not ship them unlocked. Some sources were saying an update in november to unlock the bootloaders. But we will just have to wait and see.

jamor

Banned
Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You'll be able to do anything on it but flash custom kernels. So, if a dev was able to get CM7 working on the stock kernel (not saying whether that's easy or extremely difficult, I don't know), then yes you could flash CM7. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon though.

I know a lot of you who are new to the scene are just dismissing this (I would too had I not had the Incredible for 15 months).

But I have to warn you that being able to flash a stock kernel is actually the most important thing for me. If you can't change the kernel in your phone, you are missing out on a lot. It is the engine of your phone.

With well made custom kernels you greatly increase battery life and performance.

It's like being a car racer, buying a new car but they told you that you can't modify the engine - you can change your windshield wipers though! yay!

Seriously, not being able to do custom kernel = Definite No Go for me.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot of you who are new to the scene are just dismissing this (I would too had I not had the Incredible for 15 months).

But I have to warn you that being able to flash a stock kernel is actually the most important thing for me. If you can't change the kernel in your phone, you are missing out on a lot. It is the engine of your phone.

With well made custom kernels you greatly increase battery life and performance.

It's like being a car racer, buying a new car but they told you that you can't modify the engine - you can change your windshield wipers though! yay!

Seriously, not being able to do custom kernel = Definite No Go for me.

Agreed on all accounts. P.S. The Incredible pre-release thread on (other site that I won't mention) was a blast. I know you remember.

ShawnMeds23

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmm that's hard to tell if it's like the atrix it may be rooted but custom roms like cm7 are out until the security is fully broken which is doubt will happen any time soon. Honestly in hoping they open this device up but I doubt it

what does that mean for Wireless Tether for Root? Should this phone be rootable enough to use that app? Sorry little bit of a newbie.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay