What are "Heads-up notifications" in Blackberry Hub?

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So if you go into the specific account settings within Blackberry Hub there's an option in the Notification settings called "Heads-up notifications", seems to be off by default. What is that? How does it differ than the normal Hub notificaitons I see in the notifications tray?

Also, how are people using Hub? Seems its a double notification, so I'm turning notifications off in the Hub app itself, since Gmail, Yahoo mail, Twitter, etc., all already are giving me the notifications I expect in the tray, the hub ones are just duplicates (to my way of thinking). Or is it better to turn them off in the individual apps and let Hub do all the notifications (for the apps it supports)?

Thanks

Xaiux

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
If it's the same thing as BB10, it will give you a preview of the notification at the top of whatever is on your screen at the time.

c_bryant34

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Ahh OK - but doesn't the notification tray already do that?

Cody here from BlackBerry (Product Manager for the BlackBerry Hub). It's the (now named) "peek" notifications that Android does (preview that slides down from the top when a new notification is received). We got a lot of feedback that they can be really annoying when you're getting them all the time so we wanted to provide users with the means to opt out of them.

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
So turning off "heads-up notifications" in the hub turns off the stock Android notification tray? Or you're saying it turns off Hub notifications that show in the Android notification tray??

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So turning off "heads-up notifications" in the hub turns off the stock Android notification tray? Or you're saying it turns off Hub notifications that show in the Android notification tray??

No it doesn't turn off the Android notifications, it turns off pop up notifications for stuff in the Hub itself, which often meant duplicate notifications (i.e. if you had gmail in the hub and heads up notifications turned on, you'd get the pop up from the hub and the pop up/tray notification from Android.). So the hub has an option to turn on/off pop up notifications, which is a nice feature :)