The Priv may get me to switch. Can someone provide me with the pros and cons?

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: the priv may get me to switch

I'm pretty heavy into Microsoft ecosystem. Anybody use android and windows together and if so is it efficient and smooth?

Posted via the Android Central App

Not sure how well Apple products integrate with Microsoft, I would guess not very well, Microsoft and Android have a good relationship. Microsoft realized that they shouldn't compete, they should work with android. Microsoft has made apps themselves that link with their ecosystems. The fact that there are 1st party apps from them should be enough evidence that you will be fine with an Android/Microsoft combo.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Priv.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not sour grapes when it's true.

There's better out there. All of Samsung's 2015 phones, all of LG's 2015 phones, the Nexus 6P, the Lumia 950/950 XL...all better than the Priv. Get one of those phones instead.You'll get more bang for your buck.

Better is definitely a relative term. Samsung phones have more raw power, but are held back a bit by bloated and heavily skinned software. Nexus phones have great software but are really beta phones for all updates, so you have to expect many bugs and have to be patient (many more than what we are experiencing). Nokia phones have the absolute best camera and smooth OS but suffer from a terrible ecosystem that is not supported by many developers. Blackberry is the same way. It's really good in many areas. Does it have weaknesses,of course, but the strengths are the reasons why we buy the phones. Their stock software with great additions and the best Android keyboard is the main reason people will buy this thing. I'm not sold that it's crazily more secure than a Nexus, but it's as secure as you can get on Android. If a keyboard and stock Android software aren't your priorities, then by all means go get another phone. But in no means is this a poor phone.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Better is definitely a relative term. Samsung phones have more raw power, but are held back a bit by bloated and heavily skinned software. Nexus phones have great software but are really beta phones for all updates, so you have to expect many bugs and have to be patient (many more than what we are experiencing). Nokia phones have the absolute best camera and smooth OS but suffer from a terrible ecosystem that is not supported by many developers. Blackberry is the same way. It's really good in many areas. Does it have weaknesses,of course, but the strengths are the reasons why we buy the phones. Their stock software with great additions and the best Android keyboard is the main reason people will buy this thing. I'm not sold that it's crazily more secure than a Nexus, but it's as secure as you can get on Android. If a keyboard and stock Android software aren't your priorities, then by all means go get another phone. But in no means is this a poor phone.

The only good things about the Priv is the physical keyboard, if you actually use it, and the security. The cameras are terrible.

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
The only good things about the Priv is the physical keyboard, if you actually use it, and the security. The cameras are terrible.

I've been testing the camera and it is on par with other high end devises. I have read and seen this in reviews and I'm wondering if they actually use it. I compared it to a galaxy edge and 950. I did not see an appreciable difference. I'm not a professional photographer but I'm also not a fanboy.

Mark Sb

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I have had my Priv for about a week or so...liked it a lot at first...and I like it even more now. :)
I came from an s5.

What makes it better? It just seems more intuitive. It really is a smart phone. Oh and the hub...the hub is a must have...and its fun to be on a pkb again.

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

Man I totally agree. I told my wife that very thing. Very productive devise. Not how I think of Android.

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I have had my Priv for about a week or so...liked it a lot at first...and I like it even more now. :)
I came from an s5.

What makes it better? It just seems more intuitive. It really is a smart phone. Oh and the hub...the hub is a must have...and its fun to be on a pkb again.

Were you on bb10 prior to the s5? I only ask because you praised the hub. I like it on bb10. Haven't tried it on Android.

posted with my bb10 z30

Mark Sb

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Well some bb10's prefer the new hub...others prefer the old one. This is my first bb phone so not the right person to ask to compare it to bb10...but going from no hub to the current hub is great.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I will agree with you on the front camera. 2mp reminds me of 2013. However myself and I'm sure most people interested in Blackberry probably are not interested in selfies. Although on the occasional vacation I definitely will be using the Wife's Moto X for our embarrassing yet surprisingly effective selfie stick pics (rather be embarrassed than have a stranger in a foreign place run off with my phone!

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been testing the camera and it is on par with other high end devises. I have read and seen this in reviews and I'm wondering if they actually use it. I compared it to a galaxy edge and 950. I did not see an appreciable difference. I'm not a professional photographer but I'm also not a fanboy.

The camera is NOT on par with other high end devices. Even Android Central's reviews note how terrible the cameras are.

BTW, I'm not a fan boy either. I'm just not in denial about the strengths/weaknesses of electronic devices.

Posted via the Note5 on the Android Central App

Mark Sb

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
The camera is NOT on par with other high end devices. Even Android Central's reviews note how terrible the cameras are.

BTW, I'm not a fan boy either. I'm just not in denial about the strengths/weaknesses of electronic devices.

18 megapixels is better than 12 megapixels...no matter how you try to spin it.

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

As I said I've read a couple of reviews that stated that the camera was inferior and I don't think that they actually used the camera. It is on par with other flag ship device. I'm not relying on reviews. Reviews are very subjective. You have to do your own research. I was not concerned if you were a "fanboy". My point was I am not. If it doesn't work good I will say it doesn't work good. I've been using high end lumias that have great cameras and this device has a great camera. Trust me I was expecting subpar.

adrenaline_x

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I have a priv and the rear camera is awesome. I don't get the hate for it. It's way better then my iPhone six and the detail is crazy. So far everyone I've show pictures too think they are great. IPhone users and android users. It was a bit slow to focus initially bur not anymore

adrenaline_x

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I would have to say the more I use it the more I'm liking it. Fast and smooth. You can definitely be productive with it. I love BlackBerry key boards. Problem is the screen clicks when you touch it on the left side top to bottom like it's loose. So it's going back tomorrow. But overall bad azz phone, so far.

i had the same clicking noise on mine. Rock the screen gently back and forth and open a close it. The clicking will disappear and it it be snug like it should be. Appears to be a common issue /fix

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

i had the same clicking noise on mine. Rock the screen gently back and forth and open a close it. The clicking will disappear and it it be snug like it should be. Appears to be a common issue /fix

Saw this on crackberry after I took the phone back to att. The replacement doesn't have the problem along with a lot of other issues. It's like the second Bach is cleaned up.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a priv and the rear camera is awesome. I don't get the hate for it. It's way better then my iPhone six and the detail is crazy. So far everyone I've show pictures too think they are great. IPhone users and android users. It was a bit slow to focus initially bur not anymore

The camera update last week fixed the slowness of the camera. It's much faster now.

You're right about the rear camera. It did take great photos.

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm pretty heavy into Microsoft ecosystem. Anybody use android and windows together and if so is it efficient and smooth?

I use all Microsoft apps on my android phones and have a great experience with the folllwing:

Office 365
One Drive
SharePoint
Groups

I used an iPhone as well and Android supports Microsoft a lot better and allows you to set Microsoft apps as default.

anon(870071)

Trusted Member
Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

First off being a completely new device with BlackBerry apk's there's going to be bugs that will defi a tell be worked out in the marshmallow update coming soon.

For me the device performs as any other and super efficient once you've setup you're device to your liking. Its a high quality device with a premium touch. The slide out capacitive keyboard works great and remind me of the torch days. Typing accuracy is ace here combined with bb's flick up word prediction really makes typing a joy.

I also use to sync my BlackBerry devices with Outlook and BlackBerry is working on a solution to this as well.

If you are an audiophile like me most iem's with control keys do not work with android devices and have main drivers for IOS. There are only a few high quality brands that are designed to work with android devices where the volume up/down, center button work to advance music or controls volume. Bluetooth iem's work fine. After purchasing a few pairs to try. Sennheiser momentum in ear for Samsung sound the best and works flawlessly.

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I believe the priv has talk me into it. Very good devise. The screen is unbelievably crisp and sharp. The camera is awesome. I've shot some selfish lately with my new baby and its good. I'm not shooting 10 selfish a day so a high powered front camera with a flash is lost on me. Above all this phone is powerful and fast. Coming from wp and invested in Microsoft it appears android will flow right into it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I will agree with you on the front camera. 2mp reminds me of 2013. However myself and I'm sure most people interested in Blackberry probably are not interested in selfies. Although on the occasional vacation I definitely will be using the Wife's Moto X for our embarrassing yet surprisingly effective selfie stick pics (rather be embarrassed than have a stranger in a foreign place run off with my phone!

Heck, I was just researching, a 2 MP front camera was found in many 2014 flagships, from the Nexus 6 to the Droid Turbo to the LG G3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995