PRIV will probably be my last BlackBerry

• Thread starter Deleted member 2678566
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2678566

I've had BlackBerry phones since 2009. And I have loved them all. BlackBerry 10 was also my favourite OS for a long, long time.

I decided to delve in to Android straight away when the PRIV got released after it became apparent that resources in to BB10 were being cutback.

I have loved my PRIV and I feel like purchasing it has been the right decision but I also don't think BlackBerry actually gets it anymore what consumers actually want.

Yes, I really do value my security and that had been one of the main reasons why I have stuck by them. BlackBerry's commitment to maintain the PRIV for its entire lifetime was welcome and nice to hear.

But Google has moved Android a lot and has really taken a firm grip on security issues. They started the Android Security Bulletin meaning all Google phones were updated regularly every calender month. BlackBerry obviously was always just behind them as well.

But I really can't see myself falling in love with the future BlackBerry devices. PRIV was a flagship but already it's falling apart in my view. I have really bad issues with charging now. This only started roughly about June. Basically every Micro USB cable I buy doesn't last very long at all making me to decide I really need a USB C phone pronto.

Because of this, I feel like I have been paying flagship prices for devices that do not last the distance.

I've been really excited by the Google Keynote launch and really am in awe of the Pixel. Basically the Pixel is the same price of my PRIV when I bought it when it was released in November. And I feel like I could do a lot more things and get a lot more out of it.

Yes I will miss the HUB, yes I will miss the BlackBerry keyboard but I really think this is an end of an era for BlackBerry and me. Who knows, maybe I will change my mind in a year because I can't justify buying another flagship phone. In all honesty I do hope I win a Pixel competition so I can do away with the frustrating quirks my PRIV keeps giving me a lot sooner than I hope.

It can also be extremely frustrating how I can no longer type while I try and charge my PRIV at the same time. Mayb it's a software issue that has never been fixed. Maybe it's just the hardware breaking. Either way I do not expect any flagship devices to cause me frustrations. Or maybe I am just over sensitive. I am Autistic after all and it can have some bearing.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this long winded post and any previous contributions I have made throughout the year.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I see where you are coming from.

I am in a similar boat. The PRIV will most likely be my last BlackBerry as well.

I don't feel like BlackBerry put up a fighting chance. If they wanted the PRIV to be adopted by the average user, those black and white advertisements were not the way to do it.

The route they are going now by outsourcing their brand to third party manufacturers is not what I want in a BlackBerry. I don't want to get a DTEK 60. I know that it is actually and Alcatel. Not a BlackBerry.

I will most likely be going with the V20 when it comes out. Then I will get the BlackBerry Hub+ suite. Still get the Hub and such. I can only hope that BlackBerry continues to support

In the end, I have been a loyal BlackBerry customer. I have given them a lot of my money. What did they do with that money? They definitely didn't spend it on good marketing to show how awesome the PRIV was. Instead...they spent it to buy some random companies and flush their hardware division down the drain.

sebstarr

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I've had BlackBerry phones since 2009. And I have loved them all. BlackBerry 10 was also my favourite OS for a long, long time.

I decided to delve in to Android straight away when the PRIV got released after it became apparent that resources in to BB10 were being cutback.

I have loved my PRIV and I feel like purchasing it has been the right decision but I also don't think BlackBerry actually gets it anymore what consumers actually want.

Yes, I really do value my security and that had been one of the main reasons why I have stuck by them. BlackBerry's commitment to maintain the PRIV for its entire lifetime was welcome and nice to hear.

But Google has moved Android a lot and has really taken a firm grip on security issues. They started the Android Security Bulletin meaning all Google phones were updated regularly every calender month. BlackBerry obviously was always just behind them as well.

But I really can't see myself falling in love with the future BlackBerry devices. PRIV was a flagship but already it's falling apart in my view. I have really bad issues with charging now. This only started roughly about June. Basically every Micro USB cable I buy doesn't last very long at all making me to decide I really need a USB C phone pronto.

Because of this, I feel like I have been paying flagship prices for devices that do not last the distance.

I've been really excited by the Google Keynote launch and really am in awe of the Pixel. Basically the Pixel is the same price of my PRIV when I bought it when it was released in November. And I feel like I could do a lot more things and get a lot more out of it.

Yes I will miss the HUB, yes I will miss the BlackBerry keyboard but I really think this is an end of an era for BlackBerry and me. Who knows, maybe I will change my mind in a year because I can't justify buying another flagship phone. In all honesty I do hope I win a Pixel competition so I can do away with the frustrating quirks my PRIV keeps giving me a lot sooner than I hope.

It can also be extremely frustrating how I can no longer type while I try and charge my PRIV at the same time. Mayb it's a software issue that has never been fixed. Maybe it's just the hardware breaking. Either way I do not expect any flagship devices to cause me frustrations. Or maybe I am just over sensitive. I am Autistic after all and it can have some bearing.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this long winded post and any previous contributions I have made throughout the year.

I think the mercury designed in house with a keyboard is next for me. I look at the dtek 60 and pixel and the price and I would surely pick the dtek60 of those two. I also have a Samsung and hate the ui and the buttons set up. So no Samsung and no iPhone clone pixel = BlackBerry for me. Still digging my android priv experience.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The PRIV really is a good experience.

I am planning to upgrade to the new V20. But I don't really "need" to. Usually every other time I upgrade to a phone I am just itching to get the new device and have already sold my previous one.
But in all honesty, I am still happy with my PRIV. It's just unfortunate that BlackBerry never followed up with it at all...

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Early issues from a first time android phone company is definitely frustrating. I got a OnePlus One as soon as it was available, and everyone knows the issues it had. Funny thing is that phone now is running better than it ever has 2 years later.

Same thing is happening with the Priv. Some frustrations early. Had to send mine in for a replacement because the volume up button stopped working. Other than that and the occasional no service issue on AT&T, my experience is getting better and better. Never thought I'd fall in love with Blackberry's physical AND virtual keyboards. I literally may stick with BlackBerry Android just for that VKB.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your post, OP! And the longer, the better! :) I'm sorry you are having some issues with your Priv! Honestly, do what is best for you. BlackBerry is an awesome platform, yes, but if you feel like you want to go with a Pixel phone, go for it! As you've said, it's awesome that Google has now fully committed themselves to regular security updates; and going pure Google with the Pixel is an excellent choice!

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I am happy with my priv and I have no desire to switch but If I did I would probably go with blackberry. I would still go with blackberry because I think dtek60 is very well priced phone and second because I greatly enjoy blackberry launcher and associated software. I enjoy pure android and blackberry enhancements.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am happy with my priv and I have no desire to switch but If I did I would probably go with blackberry. I would still go with blackberry because I think dtek60 is very well priced phone and second because I greatly enjoy blackberry launcher and associated software. I enjoy pure android and blackberry enhancements.

Very well said! I, too, love the BlackBerry software. I think it is sorely underrated as a platform and as a software, and it provides you with an amazing experience. Glad you are enjoying your Priv!

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Said goodbye to Blackberry a month ago after a long long time. Gave up my priv and got a pixel. Couldn't be happier I'm glad I did it. Still have my Q10 because it's the baddest phone that ever lived. It's just deactivated in case I ever need a second phone. I really hated leaving Blackberry however they just can't be trusted anymore. I still feel sad I had to do it but I'm glad I did. The pixel is without a doubt the most awesome phone I've ever had besides my Q10

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Said goodbye to Blackberry a month ago after a long long time. Gave up my priv and got a pixel. Couldn't be happier I'm glad I did it. Still have my Q10 because it's the baddest phone that ever lived. It's just deactivated in case I ever need a second phone. I really hated leaving Blackberry however they just can't be trusted anymore. I still feel sad I had to do it but I'm glad I did. The pixel is without a doubt the most awesome phone I've ever had besides my Q10
what makes it so special except for specially high price?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

The Q10 is definitely the coolest phone ever! :)

shabbs

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what happened with your PRIV Acvdm, you seemed to have been plagued with issues from the start which is a shame.

Still loving mine. The growing pains at the start from this being my first Android phone have been overcome. Great phone and I love the BlackBerry apps. Hub has come so far since the start.

GO BLACKBERRY GO!!!

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Loved the Q10! Such a powerful device for that smaller palm of your hand form factor. I could crush a whole essay with that keyboard.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both experienced the charging issue as well as freezing and the "no service" issue. I really loved my PRIV and wanted to keep it for a long time. However I depend on my device for work and can't have those types of issues. I decided to go with the V20 instead of another BlackBerry. It was kind of a sad day as my wife and I had used BlackBerry's for for our 5 phones. But times change and so does the tech world.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I really do value my security and that had been one of the main reasons why I have stuck by them. BlackBerry's commitment to maintain the PRIV for its entire lifetime was welcome and nice to hear.

This was also one of the main reasons for me. The other was simply the hardware design. I used to have a Blackberry Torch and the PRIV was a nostalgic purchase.

I have really bad issues with charging now. This only started roughly about June. Basically every Micro USB cable I buy doesn't last very long at all making me to decide I really need a USB C phone pronto.

Ive used the same Micro SD cable for over 4 years, charging multiple devices over that time (sharing the cable) and have never had any issues. Maybe you were just having some bad luck. At least the charging port is still working!. Maybe you should try Wireless Charging? some PRIV models do support that :D

Basically the Pixel is the same price of my PRIV when I bought it when it was released in November. And I feel like I could do a lot more things and get a lot more out of it.

The PRIV was far outside my price bracket when it first launched but i saw a deal on Shop.Blackberry for $299 and thought that was much better than the $699 launch price. :)

Anyway, best of luck with your future phones! You never know, maybe one day you will go back to Blackberry. :)

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Just like with BB10 blackberry android version has improved dramatically. I sold priv and I bought KEYone.

I want to be perfectly honest. I never truly loved priv. I had love and hate relationship with that phone but KEYone I truly like right from the get go . It is much better phone and now you have opportunity to get special edition with more ram and storage

shabbs

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I miss my PRIV and the BlackBerry Android stack. I have an S8+ now as the KeyONE did not interest me (not looking for a pkb). Not sure if I'll ever go back now unless they release an all touch flagship with truly high end specs. We shall see...

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I miss my PRIV and the BlackBerry Android stack. I have an S8+ now as the KeyONE did not interest me (not looking for a pkb). Not sure if I'll ever go back now unless they release an all touch flagship with truly high end specs. We shall see...
New blackberry is supposed to be announced next month. It might feet your requirements. I could never used to Samsung skin. It is just too much of everything. I like stock android. Simple and effective.

shabbs

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
New blackberry is supposed to be announced next month. It might feet your requirements. I could never used to Samsung skin. It is just too much of everything. I like stock android. Simple and effective.
I thought the same but they've come a long way. I also run nova launcher so it looks exactly like it did on my Priv. The S8+ is an amazing phone.

8d3892e223bf73d018cf5f1dde97fb79.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01