Ringke Crystal Clear Fusion Case for the BlackBerry KeyOne

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
When it comes to the new Crystal Clear Ringke Fusion case for the BlackBerry KeyOne, the first words I can use to describe it are “class act!” I’ve used several new cases for the KeyOne since its launch, and so far, the new Fusion case has been the most impressive. It looks sharp, the clear model that I have gives you a remarkable viewing experience for the fashionable exterior of the phone, it offers quality protection, but doesn’t compromise on form factor, and all around it just feels good.

Ringke has been making cases for quite some time now, and the Fusion line of cases is popular with many other devices. I have personally been using the Ringke Slim cases for many of my devices for years, and that’s one of the reasons I was so excited to get my hands on the new Crystal Clear Fusion case for my KeyOne. For those of you who are KeyOne owners, or prospective owners, you know there aren’t a whole lot of quality cases or accessories floating around for the KeyOne – I know… I’ve looked. As luck and fortune would have it, Ringke stepped up to the plate and hit a real homerun with this one, and really did the phone justice when designing this case.
20170704_213939.jpg20170704_214057.jpg

The Look: The old phrase, “there are many clear TPU cases, but this one is mine” comes to mind, when thinking about the Crystal Clear Fusion case for the KeyOne. There are three color variations available: Clear, Smoke Black and Rose Gold Crystal, but the basic underlying principle still remains – it fits like a glove, and it really shows off the craftsmanship of the KeyOne. The only color differences you will see are in the bumpers themselves. Regardless of color, the back of the phone is the same crystal clear window.

There are two characteristics that I love in cell phone cases – one is minimalism (I don’t like the case to be bulky or greatly modify the form factor), and the other is showing off the phone; needless to say, the Fusion case checks both of these boxes. If you’re a stranger to the KeyOne, please go look at some images on the internet, because it’s a gorgeous device. If you own one, you probably share many of the same sentiments that I do. You love the way the phone looks but you don’t want to risk damaging it. So where’s the compromise? Well, look no further because the answer is right here – it’s the Ringke Fusion case. The case is called “Fusion” for a reason. Based on my calculations, it’s called the Fusion because it fuses with your phone, and provides protection, without detracting from the overall look and feel of the device. Secondly, the case really helps to bring out the device’s sleek exterior, offering an unobstructed viewing experience and enhancing the overall presentation of the device. On a cautionary note, in my video, I mentioned that the case is not prone to smudges and fingerprints. While this is true, and it’s the best that I’ve encountered, after some use the prints and smudges will eventually build up, but can easily be wiped off with your shirt or any available cloth object.
20170704_214125.jpg20170704_214146.jpg20170704_214158.jpg

The Feel: As soon as you open the packaging, you’ll be able to feel the quality craftsmanship of the Fusion case. It’s rigid enough to let you know that it’s going to take good care of your device, but at the same time, it’s pliable enough to snugly hold onto your device, and not let go. An added design feature is a slight lip to the rim of the case, which adds a tiny buffer of protection for your screen and keyboard when you want to place the phone face-down. As I stated above, the case is made out of TPU, and it’s a typical unibody, bumper style case. What does this mean? It means it’s not the grippiest, and the back of the phone does not have any texturing for grip, but it would seem that this is by design. The lack of texturing is usually something that I wouldn’t care for, but in the Fusion case, it just works. Why does it work? It works because it’s like looking through a glass window so you can see the finely crafted rubberized backing of the KeyOne, in all of its glory – the silver BlackBerry logo, and subtle dimples in the surface really stand out underneath the crystal clear protection of the Fusion. Having said all of that, the surface of the phone case and the edges aren’t particularly slippery, and it’s an improvement over the stock feel of the device. And last but not least, the buttons. Like I said in my video, normally this isn’t a “selling” point for me, which means I won’t really be preaching about how great buttons are. Well, in the Fusion case, the buttons are phenomenal. The first time I ever pressed in the power button, it set off the “wow” lightbulb in my head. Not that it’s a to die for feature, but in the world of TPU cases, I haven’t found one yet that has such responsive, easily pressed key overlays. Job well done, Ringke!
20170704_214731.jpg20170704_214745.jpg20170704_214752.jpg20170704_214839.jpg

Protection: If you don’t know already, consider this your warning: the KeyOne is not waterproof! Having said that, this case will not protect your phone from accidental, or purposeful dips into the pool, or any other body of water. Is that the case’s fault? No. It’s just not what the case is designed to do. What the case is designed to do is to provide protections from life’s potential slips, drops and falls. The packaging states that it offers “military grade” protection, and I’m not sure what this means, other than the case is sturdy and should provide ample protection in case you accidentally knock it out of the night stand, or if it slips out of your pocket while you’re sitting in a chair. It’s definitely not rated for 10-15ft drops, or something I would entertain using if you’re planning on doing parkour or BMX racing, but it does provide an excellent amount of protection for simple drops, especially with the reinforced bumper support around the edges. As you’re probably used to by now, here’s my Public Service Announcement: put a screen protector on the phone – which you can also find on Ringke’s website! This isn’t a plug for Ringke, but if you’re ordering the case (even through amazon), throw one of these in your cart as well. Having a good case is great, but you’re not going to be able to offer 360 degree security for your phone without a good screen protector as well; end PSA.
20170704_215033.jpg20170704_215113.jpg20170704_215119.jpg

Overall: The Crystal Clear Fusion case by Ringke is top-notch. It’s incredibly affordable, it’s sleek, fancy, and provides great protection for the device without compromising on the phones form-factor or aesthetics. After trying out several other cases for my KeyOne, I am happy to say that this one has won the special title of “daily driver” status, meaning that it will be my go-to case for the foreseeable future. Is it for everyone? Maybe not. Some people prefer to go sans case, and some people want the extreme protections that have been traditionally offered by companies like OtterBox, or LifeProof But, does this case check enough boxes to make even the most protection oriented owners happy? I think so. The cardinal rule after all is that you don’t drop your phone, but, life happens, which is why we buy cases! Fortunately we live in a world with many options, and so far, I definitely recommend you give Ringke’s Fusion case a look!
20170704_215013.jpg

Pros:
- It looks and feels great, especially with the Crystal Clear window on the back of the phone!
- It’s cost effective! It’s not “cheap”, but it’s well-priced, and impressive
- It protects the phone without compromising the look and feel of the device
- The buttons are snappy, and the craftsmanship of the case is top-notch

Cons:
- It’s not waterproof, but it’s also not designed to be. It’s not a full enclosure case.
- It’s not the cheapest, or the most expensive. But remember, you get what you pay for!
- It doesn’t really have any texture to it, so it can still be a little slippery
- While it is fingerprint and smudge resistant, it’s not fingerprint and smudge proof. It will need to be wiped off every one in a while.

If you’re interested in picking up one Ringke’s new Crystal Clear Fusion cases for your KeyOne, head on over to https://www.ringkestore.com and check them out. You can also find them on Amazon, where they are currently on sale for $11.99, which goes great with Amazon Prime free 2-day shipping, if you have it. As always, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them down below in the comments section. You can also watch my lovely review video that I have linked from YouTube! Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/k-pZjw2GIH0

Attachments

• 20170704_215003.jpg
    20170704_215003.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ringke Fusion and Slim cases are the go-to in our household. We have at least 10, for our various devices. The fit is always precise and I consider it the best lightweight protection out there.

I think it may be worth noting that the Smoke Black version is worthy of consideration (and my personal preference, lol). It has just enough of a tint that fingerprints, etc are less noticeable, while still displaying the KEYone in all its glory. And, for the more flamboyant among us, there's also a Rose Gold option -- coloured sides/clear back.

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
For sure. we have had many Ringke cases in my household. they're fantastic, especially for the price. they generally have a nice variety as well. I haven't had any hands on time with the smoke or gold colors, but they look fancy from the website. I'm sure some people might prefer one.

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Update: I just checked Amazon and the case (all three color options) is currently on sale for $9.99, and has Amazon Prime free 2-day shipping.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
A TPU case is a TPU case. I've used several over the years. It's a great style, but it's not rocket science and I've yet to find a one of them that's not great.

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I have used several TPU cases and I can't say that I agree. I have had one that is a fingerprint magnet, or scratches easily, or has port covers that are annoying and get in the way, buttons that are hard or unnatural to press, the transparency starts to hue or picks up surrounding colors, etc.... Sure, there's not a whole lot of creativity that goes into a clear case, but this is the best one I've ever used.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I have this case, the smoked colored one with the clear back. I really like it however, if they had the side cutouts for the keyboard like the $2 TPU cases on Amazon have, it would be a 10 in my book. Other than that, solid 8.

yourhums

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been seeing lots of reviews and posts complaining about glass screen protectors making the three navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen almost unusable. Have you found one that doesn't have this problem?