its Quiet here

Sep 14, 2019
Visit site
Unlike Android (and, to a tiny extent, iPhone), no one in the technical fields has anything to do with BB except the people working for the company (if there are any - do they farm all their work out?)

What you get, other than rumors, about any product, is about people who repair them, people who modify them, etc., whether it's phones or cars or planes. Everything else is push this, tap that, I hear that ...

So you get a lot about Android (and even more on XDA), something about iPhones and almost nothing about BB. And it's been that way for 20 years. BB is a niche phone, not something the average experimenter works on. (And, aside from a few really good repair shops, iPhones aren't experimented on physically.) But Android is Linux, and it's a great bed for software experimentation. BB? Totally proprietary, like Symbian, and we know how well that went over. Closed source is also more insecure than open source. So most BBs are bought for Hub, for BBM and for other RIM special interest items. BB (not even RIM any more, but BBL, has its phones made by TCL and Optiemus Infracom, it uses Android ... it's an (old) Android with a small screen and physical keyboard, and it's a mid-range phone selling at anywhere from midrange (LE) to flagship (Key 2) prices.

At least it used to have fleet GPS, but today it's only a "I have a Blackberry" phone. Nothing special about it, except that it's overpriced and underpowered.

yes no doubt the attraction to the key devices is the hub (especially for BB10 users), the added security, some also like the BB launcher and of course the pkb. The pkb is what keeps me on my Classic together with the tool belt/track pad, as archaic as that may sound - nothing beats its precision on websites (pointer). And a pkb is far more efficient at banging out txts and emails than a vkb can ever be. I wasn't sure if Optiemus Infracom are still making key devices, would you know how many they make in India, that's a huge and fast growing market. Yes for sure BB key devices serve a niche market at this time. Many law offices use key devices btw

Last edited:

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
yes no doubt the attraction to the key devices is the hub (especially for BB10 users), the added security, some also like the BB launcher and of course the pkb. The pkb is what keeps me on my Classic together with the tool belt/track pad, as archaic as that may sound - nothing beats its precision on websites (pointer). And a pkb is far more efficient at banging out txts and emails than a vkb can ever be. I wasn't sure if Optiemus Infracom are still making key devices, would you know how many they make in India, that's a huge and fast growing market. Yes for sure BB key devices serve a niche market at this time. Many law offices use key devices btw
I second this. I am a latecomer to BlackBerry, as I never had a bb10 device only Keys. I love the productivity focus and uniqueness of the devices. I use other things for media consumption.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
It's certainly what I've observed and what other posters have complained about and moved on. Threads go off topic, almost immediately, the same posters posting either inaccurate information, spam or trashing BB10 only to go onto CB Android forums and be met with an avalanche of negative posts about BBMo, almost entirely speculative or rumor based, you wonder on earth BBMo manage to sell anything with "partners" like that, in fact, from what I understand CB don't get the first scoop on developments with BBLtd/BBMo/TCL (I don't know if they ever did) - reading those forums you quickly understand why. Some of those posters look either to be paid or analysts covering BBLtd, I'm not sure what their backgrounds are, but something is definitely awry there. BB10 contributors, knowledgeable, having their posts deleted or censored for seemingly nothing. It goes on and on, so Android Central, quiet as it maybe, is a breath of fresh air - literally.

Hey bb9900user2018 - just thought I’d address your concerns about deleted posts or censorship. If you reply or quote someone else’s post as part of a discussion, your posts become intertwined with those other persons. If those persons or you violate TOS, mods typically will delete the posts that violate TOS and everyone’s posts intertwined get deleted as well. Your posts may follow the rules but simply are part of the exchange inclusive.

With those situations, the violators get PMd and possibly infraction points. One TOS is to not discuss violations publicly so many don’t realize what’s really happened. All the MONA sites have their clearly spelled out TOS across the family of sites.

Seriously, hope this helps....

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Wife always loved her physical keyboard BB key one and key 2 but camera frustration was a never ending struggle.

About 8 months ago, I convinced her to try my pixel 2x for 2 weeks. Well she never gave it back. She loves loves that camera and ZERO frustrations. Everything just works and flows smoothly for her. She will be using than phone until it's last breath lol

FeinP1118

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm here because of nostalgia. I'd love a Key2. Swipe typing on my current slabs is so appalling, so one has to go back and painstakingly swipe every single letter. I'd rather a physical keyboard!

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Wife always loved her physical keyboard BB key one and key 2 but camera frustration was a never ending struggle.

About 8 months ago, I convinced her to try my pixel 2x for 2 weeks. Well she never gave it back. She loves loves that camera and ZERO frustrations. Everything just works and flows smoothly for her. She will be using than phone until it's last breath lol

Sadly that's how most end up.... they think that you can't use a smartphone without a physical keyboard, till they really try a slab with great hardware and a virtual keyboard.

I hope someone keeps making PKB phones now that TCL is moving on and BlackBerry is done. But I just don't see much viability in this tiny segment.