With monthly updates that rivaled the Nexus. Will they keep it up with their new devices?
    07-26-2016 06:58 PM
    I'll say this. If they keep up with updates on this budget device... damn, that's going to change the name of the game. Expectations for other OEM's at that point - nothing is forgiven. At least, by the super nerds. Right now we give budget devices a pass. BlackBerry could shut that pass down and raise the stakes.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-26-2016 07:18 PM
    BlackBerry could shut that pass down and raise the stakes.
    Yes, they could. It will be very interesting to see what happens a few months after release.
    07-26-2016 07:49 PM
    Well, they'll still only have two models to update, so I imagine that updates will be as regular as they've been on the Priv.
    07-26-2016 08:11 PM
    If they're calling this the "most secure" device, they'd better bring what they're doing with the PRIV to the DTEK50.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    07-26-2016 10:18 PM
    Oh I'm sure they will, I mean that is what they will be doing if hardware does indeed shutdown: software.

If they can't get updates out properly, how on earth are people supposed to trust their EMM stuff.
    Ry and Robbie_Bobby like this.
    07-26-2016 11:45 PM
    If you listen to the CEO... there is no guarantee on if he can make hardware profitable. And he has promised investors that if he can't he will shutdown hardware. Now I would hope that he would support any hardware sold for at least one year of security patches and depending on where they are on updating to the new level of Android... maybe release that. But right now updates depend on if they start making money, and if they can sell enough phones.

Chen said he needed to sell about 3 Million with an ASP of $300... this phones doesn't have an APS of $300.
    07-29-2016 07:30 AM
    If you listen to the CEO... there is no guarantee on if he can make hardware profitable. And he has promised investors that if he can't he will shutdown hardware. Now I would hope that he would support any hardware sold for at least one year of security patches and depending on where they are on updating to the new level of Android... maybe release that. But right now updates depend on if they start making money, and if they can sell enough phones.

Chen said he needed to sell about 3 Million with an ASP of $300... this phones doesn't have an APS of $300.
    This message right here ^^ is a giant DO NOT BUY flag put on all BlackBerry devices, regardless of OS. And that's just for personal use. For enterprise, it's a blimp instead of a flag and that blimp might be on fire.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-29-2016 08:41 AM
    This message right here ^^ is a giant DO NOT BUY flag put on all BlackBerry devices, regardless of OS. And that's just for personal use. For enterprise, it's a blimp instead of a flag and that blimp might be on fire.
    ^^^^^

This message right here is from someone the doesnt like blackberry.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-31-2016 03:42 AM
    ^^^^^

No... This message right here is from someone who doesn't like the risk of a company stating they could abandon projects at any time. That would most likely mean no more security updates. And any IT person reading that message, given that they're going to want to keep the devices for 2-4 years is going to be even more concerned.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-31-2016 08:05 AM
    ^^^^^

I think there are better ways to spend $300. Many other choices that are better for roughly the same price point with better hardware, SoC in particular.
    07-31-2016 10:06 AM
    No... This message right here is from someone who doesn't like the risk of a company stating they could abandon projects at any time. That would most likely mean no more security updates. And any IT person reading that message, given that they're going to want to keep the devices for 2-4 years is going to be even more concerned.
    I think BB is hoping that they will get a massive contract from major corporations and the government. The sad thing is, those markets have already moved on. Either shifting to Apple or Samsung, or even a BYOD program.
    07-31-2016 10:08 AM
    If they're calling this the "most secure" device, they'd better bring what they're doing with the PRIV to the DTEK50.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Not disagreeing with you. The next few months will be interesting in terms of security updates.
    07-31-2016 10:47 AM
    I think BB is hoping that they will get a massive contract from major corporations and the government. The sad thing is, those markets have already moved on. Either shifting to Apple or Samsung, or even a BYOD program.
    Couldn't agree more. Especially with BYOD! It's too bad cause I loved BlackBerry.

08-04-2016 02:03 AM
    I hope they do and think they will. I'm excited to see what happens! Lots of good stuff coming out and BlackBerry is part of it.

Aquila likes this.
    08-04-2016 09:42 PM