How do you feel about the lack of a fingerprint sensor?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A bit surprising that the DTEK50 doesn't have a fingerprint sensor, considering that we're seeing them more often, even on budget phones like the Honor 5X. Do you think this is significant deficiency on a security-oriented phone, or are fingerprint sensors enough of a liability that you're glad it's not present?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
LOL. I used to feel that way as well, but the speed and reliability of the 6P's sensor changed my mind!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The guys in the podcast made the argument that a FPS is a convenience, not a security feature. Sure, it promotes locking the device down, which is better than nothing.

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Picture password is probably safer and takes just a second to do. Maybe 3 seconds longer than a fp scanner and no one can take my unconscious finger and unlock my phone. Plus if they mess up 10 times trying to unlock it the phone gets wiped. They can keep the biometric crap

Posted via the Android Central App

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Feature that I like. Without I resort to pin which isn't that secure either.

My iPhone 6S Plus with round design means that the orientation and issue is gone, easier to use than S6 (terrible) or S7 (better). Moisture or oils and creams prevent FPID from working.

Lack of release arguing, lack of USB-C (or lightning) means have to orient plugging in charger cable over and over again, wear and tear, bigger issue, for me.

Still a great $299 phone, don't get me wrong.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
A bit surprising that the DTEK50 doesn't have a fingerprint sensor, considering that we're seeing them more often, even on budget phones like the Honor 5X. Do you think this is significant deficiency on a security-oriented phone, or are fingerprint sensors enough of a liability that you're glad it's not present?

Personally I'm not upset about the lack of a fingerprint sensor. It's a nice feature don't get me wrong but I like picture password much better for a security measure. :)

skstrials

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

Nah, I am happy with the picture password. I don't have to worry about getting my phone unlocked when someone takes my finger when I am sleeping.

And I don't have to hide the unlock screen either. I can unlock the phone right in front of other people and they would have no idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12