I'm wondering how the Nexus 5x compares against the DTEK50? $439CDN vs 429CDN. And it looks like Nexus5 is has a better processor. Now that the BlackBerry Hub+ is available, I don't think DTEK is all that critical in securing android for your avg Joe.

Thoughts?

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport
    08-03-2016 07:47 PM
    My analysis is as follows:

Screen: Nexus 5X, still one of the best LCD's in the industry
    Performance: Nexus 5X, getting complaints about the 617, while the 5X on N flies with the 808
    Audio: Nexus 5X, neither of them did anything special, so front facing speakers wins
    Security: Nexus 5X (UNLESS you unlock the bootloader), software security appears to be the same, added FPS is nice, will be secure longer with 3 years of garanteed updates
    Camera: Nexus 5X, very capable, still one of the best on a midranger
    Updates: Nexus 5X, it's a nexus...
    Software: Nexus 5X, not "like" stock, it actually is "stock", faster updates, longer updates, it's kinda like having a rockstar sing you to sleep
    Available Options: Nexus 5X, 3 colors, 2 storage sizes, 32 GB option is a must
    Build & Design: Nexus 5X, build quality I assume is similar, but Nexus is more nicely designed so...

I have the 5X winning 9/9 categories with the one I'm hedging being 'security', because they're identical unless you unlock the bootloader on the 5X, and then the DTEK is better. But the DTEK won't let you unlock the bootloader, so I could justify giving it the category on those grounds... but I'm falling back to, 99% of customers don't unlock the bootloader.
    libra89, Dunt Dunt Dunt and Matty like this.
    08-03-2016 07:55 PM
    My analysis is as follows:

Screen: Nexus 5X, still one of the best LCD's in the industry
    Performance: Nexus 5X, getting complaints about the 617, while the 5X on N flies with the 808
    Audio: Nexus 5X, neither of them did anything special, so front facing speakers wins
    Security: Nexus 5X (UNLESS you unlock the bootloader), software security appears to be the same, added FPS is nice, will be secure longer with 3 years of garanteed updates
    Camera: Nexus 5X, very capable, still one of the best on a midranger
    Updates: Nexus 5X, it's a nexus...
    Software: Nexus 5X, not "like" stock, it actually is "stock", faster updates, longer updates, it's kinda like having a rockstar sing you to sleep
    Available Options: Nexus 5X, 3 colors, 2 storage sizes, 32 GB option is a must
    Build & Design: Nexus 5X, build quality I assume is similar, but Nexus is more nicely designed so...

I have the 5X winning 9/9 categories with the one I'm hedging being 'security', because they're identical unless you unlock the bootloader on the 5X, and then the DTEK is better. But the DTEK won't let you unlock the bootloader, so I could justify giving it the category on those grounds... but I'm falling back to, 99% of customers don't unlock the bootloader.
    I'd rather have the 5x due to camera, FPS, USB type C and software but the DTEK50 does have dual front speakers, which should sound much better than 5x speaker since it"s basically just a BlackBerry idol 4. DTEK 50 also has micro SD and the boom key on the side.
    08-03-2016 08:13 PM
    Blackberry still needs to prove to the Android world how they are going to update devices. Right now, they only have the Priv. Will they keep the DTEK50 up to date? That is one of the bigger reasons I would choose the 5X over the BB.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-03-2016 09:55 PM
    And two other considerations:
    1) 5X has fingerprint scanner
    2) As BB continues on their path towards being a MDM software vendor - at any point they can just pull the plug on device sales - and then ongoing support is a big risk.

Yes - I run a 5X and am a bit biased

NEXUS 5X ON AT&T ON 7.0 DP5 - Posted via the Android Central App
    08-04-2016 12:14 PM
    5x is better in just about every way except for the custom security.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-04-2016 04:03 PM
    5x is better in just about every way except for the custom security.

Even that sounds like it might not be anything other than a hardened kernel and locked bootloader.
    08-04-2016 04:36 PM
    I will wait until some real significant reviews come out. The 5x has been out for awhile. The 5x from forums and usage reviews noted battery life on release was horrible, had heat issues and had a camera that was known for hanging and being slow. (Kind of like the Priv) The 5x is no panacea as it has no Micro SD, less RAM, all plastic construction, no hardened/built in security features (significant consideration for me with our business and personal information) Lastly, my dad owns an LG G4 running on Marshmallow. I used/tried out a new Moto G4 Plus for 10 days. We compared everyday usage speed between the 617 and 808 and differences were negligible. The battery life on the Moto was significantly better with the 617 vs the 808. I returned the Moto due to Lenovo's recent written stance on updates and the DTEK release. I am strongly considering the DTEK bundle offer. One of the BlackBerry Elites in France has been documenting his usage in a forum on Crackberry and it sounds very promising at its price point.

08-06-2016 09:41 AM
    Blackberry still needs to prove to the Android world how they are going to update devices. Right now, they only have the Priv. Will they keep the DTEK50 up to date? That is one of the bigger reasons I would choose the 5X over the BB.
    BlackBerry's whole business proposition is built around this being the "worlds most secure android phone". They have locked themselves into the monthly updates.

What I want to see is how long it takes them to get to Nougat once it's generally released. It took BlackBerry a fairly long time to get Priv to Marshmallow.
    08-10-2016 08:35 AM
    Best indication of future behavior is past performance. Blackberry had a single Android phone and it took forever to get it updated. But this one is a little bit different since there is a third party OEM at play. But keeping a phone secure doesn't necessarily mean keeping it at the most up to date OS. So it can remained at 6 and still maintain its security status.
    08-10-2016 08:54 AM
    I'm on a Priv right now, but my wife who is on a Galaxy S5 is looking for a change. She is a Galaxy user but got tired of AT&T late updates or no update at all. Her GS5 is still on L!!!! We buy our phones upright so no need for tolerating AT&T crab, but buying Galaxy phones that match our LTE bands is a pain. So I'm considering a new phone. My Priv get its security patches almost 2 weeks before my Nexus 7, and software updates years before the AT&T Galaxy phone, so I'm in the market for a phone that gets its updates directly from the manufacturer. I'm considering the Dtek50 or the Nexus 5X due to its price, got tired of paying premium price for a phone that needs to be changed every 2 years to keep up to Android fast changes. So any recommendations for these phones or any other is appreciated.

08-11-2016 11:11 AM
    I'm on a Priv right now, but my wife who is on a Galaxy S5 is looking for a change. She is a Galaxy user but got tired of AT&T late updates or no update at all. Her GS5 is still on L!!!! We buy our phones upright so no need for tolerating AT&T crab, but buying Galaxy phones that match our LTE bands is a pain. So I'm considering a new phone. My Priv get its security patches almost 2 weeks before my Nexus 7, and software updates years before the AT&T Galaxy phone, so I'm in the market for a phone that gets its updates directly from the manufacturer. I'm considering the Dtek50 or the Nexus 5X due to its price, got tired of paying premium price for a phone that needs to be changed every 2 years to keep up to Android fast changes. So any recommendations for these phones or any other is appreciated.

Nexus 5X over the DTEK50 seems pretty obvious, but a smarter choice if you can afford to wait for a couple months may be the upcoming Nexus sailfish.
    libra89 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    08-11-2016 11:13 AM
    Just bought a nexus 5x due to much lower price and fingerprint sensor which Dtek does not offer. It has become a standard for security.
    08-12-2016 03:12 PM
    Dtek50 for the security which for me offers peace of mind

Posted via my LG G3 here in Canada eh
    08-23-2016 09:27 AM
    Dtek50 for the security which for me offers peace of mind

Posted via my LG G3 here in Canada eh
    Nexus 5X is matching security blow for blow unless you choose to unlock your bootloader. The only thing giving BB the edge is that you can't unlock the bootloader.
    08-23-2016 04:22 PM
    Android security patches are updated month to month so no worries there. And now you can install BB Hub on any Android device. Best of both worlds. With Marshmallow you can turn off access for different apps as well.
    08-23-2016 04:30 PM
    That 808 processor is the same one on the priv?? There will be battery drain and heat issues for sure.
    09-17-2016 07:56 AM
    That 808 processor is the same one on the priv?? There will be battery drain and heat issues for sure.
    Never had any heat issues with 5x and battery life is great after a few tweaks.
    09-17-2016 03:21 PM
    I currently own the HTC One M8 and love it. In your opinion . do you guys feel than if I change to the DTEK50, will it be an upgrade of more of a sidegrade?

Cheers
    10-04-2016 07:01 PM
    I considered the 5x but realized it has a bad camera, processor has issues, only 2gb of ram, no sd card, same security patch speed as dtek, gets updates faster a la nougat but basically still in beta. I got a dtek50 and a 128gb card and quick charger and haven't regretted it or looked back.
    10-07-2016 01:32 PM
    I considered the 5x but realized it has a bad camera, processor has issues, only 2gb of ram, no sd card, same security patch speed as dtek, gets updates faster a la nougat but basically still in beta. I got a dtek50 and a 128gb card and quick charger and haven't regretted it or looked back.
    Did you format your micro sd card had adoptable storage?
    10-07-2016 01:57 PM
    yeah I did! It's been stable and working flawlessly for about 2 weeks now.
    10-19-2016 12:35 PM
    My wife has one now. It's a good device. Battery life is not as good as my Passport, but enough to get her through the day. I might get the DTEK60 if BlackBerry doesn't release the Mercury.
    10-29-2016 06:23 PM
    My battery easily lasts longer than my classic or z10. turn on battery optimization and turn off location and other settings for apps that don't need the specific settings. Ie. Contacts don't need location settings.
    11-04-2016 11:20 PM