Blackberry is Dead

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I can agree that there is no more market for BlackBerry branded smartphones, but I still believe there is some market for keyboard phones in general.

I guess I’m just having a hard time seeing it.
What data makes you think there is?
I’m someone who looks at things realistically, not based on hopes and dreams. If you could show me something that makes sense I might be more willing to believe it.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
Why hasn’t anyone been able to make it work?

From my perspective it's because they all seem to end up pissing the end users off by NOT delivering on promises or not delivering at all. Doesn't take long for non-end user to get wind of it too so if they were potential buyers, they for sure aren't now. Can write a book on the things BlackBerry Ltd, TCL/BBMo, Optiemus, and so on, failed on bringing to their customers.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
From my perspective it's because they all seem to end up pissing the end users off by NOT delivering on promises or not delivering at all. Doesn't take long for non-end user to get wind of it too so if they were potential buyers, they for sure aren't now. Can write a book on the things BlackBerry Ltd, TCL/BBMo, Optiemus, and so on, failed on bringing to their customers.

Perhaps because, once they get into it, they realize they can’t because the user base isn’t there.
I don’t know, everyone makes it sound like it’s so easy to start up a multimillion dollar corporation, or even add a new product to an existing one, as if these devices will sell themselves at a huge profit. These companies are not out to lose money. Most vkb devices don’t make money and they are selling hundreds of millions. The money is in selling apps, data, accessories etc. from what I can see.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I guess I’m just having a hard time seeing it.
What data makes you think there is?
I’m someone who looks at things realistically, not based on hopes and dreams. If you could show me something that makes sense I might be more willing to believe it.

The KEY phones undersold compared to what TCL may have needed to make a profitable business.

But they still somewhat sold, a few estimates are about 1.5M devices altogether between all three KEY phones.

That's 1.5M potential people who could buy someone else's PKB device. And that's not counting those who didn't like TCL's KEY phones but would buy another, say like a Nokia E series revival phone.

I don't care about the keyboard trying to be mainstream again because it won't.

I just want PKB phones to sell enough for the company who makes them so that they continue to make them.

Even if it's a single device every two years or so.

Am i REALLY asking for too much?

I really don't feel like I am.

Slabbers have thousands of slabs to choose from.

We just want one or two keyboard options for us to keep typing on...

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
Perhaps because, once they get into it, they realize they can’t because the user base isn’t there.
I don’t know, everyone makes it sound like it’s so easy to start up a multimillion dollar corporation, or even add a new product to an existing one, as if these devices will sell themselves at a huge profit. These companies are not out to lose money. Most vkb devices don’t make money and they are selling hundreds of millions. The money is in selling apps, data, accessories etc. from what I can see.

Naw I doubt everyone thinks business ventures are easy yet to win some you got to lose some first. And going by my perspective TCL/BBMo did their darndest to keep potential buyers away... Overpricing, delays, colour variants that went MIA at launch, premiums for colour choice, making certain handset hard to get, variant getting the cold shoulder on the support front, blah blah blah. Essentially they kept driving away the "other" crowd that could possibly have made their venture viable enough but we'll never know if that were true or not.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The KEY phones undersold compared to what TCL may have needed to make a profitable business.

But they still somewhat sold, a few estimates are about 1.5M devices altogether between all three KEY phones.

That's 1.5M potential people who could buy someone else's PKB device. And that's not counting those who didn't like TCL's KEY phones but would buy another, say like a Nokia E series revival phone.

I don't care about the keyboard trying to be mainstream again because it won't.

I just want PKB phones to sell enough for the company who makes them so that they continue to make them.

Even if it's a single device every two years or so.

Am i REALLY asking for too much?

I really don't feel like I am.

Slabbers have thousands of slabs to choose from.

We just want one or two keyboard options for us to keep typing on...

Well I know one person who bought a million of them so that only leaves 500,000 for everyone else.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Who said incorporating a keyboard HAS to be considered "going backwards" ?

It sure isn't on computers and as tablet attachments...

The market.
Again, when you give me hard data that people want a PKB device and not what the entire market has moved to and continues to develop I will take this more seriously.