Blackberry is Dead

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, very sad. Hopefully something good happens. I am SO SICK of typing on glass. But, love my camera better on my Pixel 3xl over my Key.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Yes, very sad. Hopefully something good happens. I am SO SICK of typing on glass. But, love my camera better on my Pixel 3xl over my Key.
True, even the KEYone which has the best camera ever put on a Berry will not be in the same ballpark of even the Pixel 2 XL.

If you enable haptic feedback with vibration duration of 30ms - 40ms and use Gboard or BlackBerry keyboard, it should be more tolerable.

But still never on the level of real keys.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

The camera - that's how they get you!

Also - were you ever on the CrackBerry forums? Your username and picture look familiar.

danfrancisco

Trusted Member
Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Long time CrackBerry guy here... for those of you who don't enjoy tire fires, dysfunction and an all out gong show, you don't know what you're missing by not visiting CB!

The TCL news has escalated the level of discourse in the CB forums to complete bedlam and chaos! But I've been a part of that community since 2008 so I'm basically a lifer. Still, it's nice to see how other Mobile Nations communities are reacting to the end of BB handsets where there is less of an emotional attachment.

I'm what you would call an unabashed BB fanboy and am a huge mark who will immediately buy any table scraps that is put out there on the market. The end of new BB handsets presents me with a whole new world of choice now that I'm not automatically locked into buying the newest BB. I'll be lurking around the AC forums a bit more to get a sense of the community vibe.

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
Long time CrackBerry guy here... for those of you who don't enjoy tire fires, dysfunction and an all out gong show, you don't know what you're missing by not visiting CB!

The TCL news has escalated the level of discourse in the CB forums to complete bedlam and chaos! But I've been a part of that community since 2008 so I'm basically a lifer. Still, it's nice to see how other Mobile Nations communities are reacting to the end of BB handsets where there is less of an emotional attachment.

I'm what you would call an unabashed BB fanboy and am a huge mark who will immediately buy any table scraps that is put out there on the market. The end of new BB handsets presents me with a whole new world of choice now that I'm not automatically locked into buying the newest BB. I'll be lurking around the AC forums a bit more to get a sense of the community vibe.
You will like it. It's a lot less toxic here, even though a few CB characters may pop in from time to time. But most are disarmed, with no special privileges or status. At least so far. Once CB finally winds down all bets are off.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I've left BB few years back and converted my wife from a keyone and key2 to Pixel 2 xl a year ago. The camera on the K2 was horrible. The camera on the pixel 2 xl blew her mind away. She still hates typing on glass but she loves her pixel. Fluid, fast, and amazing camera. BB no more in our family, too many sacrifices for that physical keyboard, we are both over that (I have pixel 3 xl).

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I've left BB few years back and converted my wife from a keyone and key2 to Pixel 2 xl a year ago. The camera on the K2 was horrible. The camera on the pixel 2 xl blew her mind away. She still hates typing on glass but she loves her pixel. Fluid, fast, and amazing camera. BB no more in our family, too many sacrifices for that physical keyboard, we are both over that (I have pixel 3 xl).

I really miss the keyboard shortcuts on my K2, and the speed I can type on it. But I also really love the android experience on my Pixel. Love the call screening feature!!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I really miss the keyboard shortcuts on my K2, and the speed I can type on it. But I also really love the android experience on my Pixel. Love the call screening feature!!
How long has it been? You'll pick up speed eventually. Understand the shortcut withdrawal :)

What pixel do you have?

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
. The end of new BB handsets presents me with a whole new world of choice now that I'm not automatically locked into buying the newest BB. I'll be lurking around the AC forums a bit more to get a sense of the community vibe.
The only problem is that the "whole new world" that opens up to you without BBMo in the picture isn't very exciting when every "option" is a predictable slab sandwich that looks just like the next one...

I really like my S10e, it's packed with just about every conceivable flagship feature in a nice compact package, but I still can't bring myself to switch my sim card to it from my KEY2 LE.

That's saying something lol

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

That’s the thing, the BB fanboys will only mention the keyboard or maybe one other thing about why they are so “great” but not the multitude of things that make modern, up to date hardware and software so much better.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The only problem is that the "whole new world" that opens up to you without BBMo in the picture isn't very exciting when every "option" is a predictable slab sandwich that looks just like the next one...

I really like my S10e, it's packed with just about every conceivable flagship feature in a nice compact package, but I still can't bring myself to switch my sim card to it from my KEY2 LE.

It says something about you (I don’t mean that as a knock but just that you are unique) but not about the general public who enjoys all the modern things other devices bring. It’s time to end the ridiculous clinging to PKB phones.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
It’s time to end the ridiculous clinging to PKB phones.
Why? Shouldn't people be allowed other options than glass slabs?

I'll stop my "ridiculous clinging" when tapping on glass becomes as accurate and enjoyable as typing on real keys.

Hint: which is never

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I'll stop my "ridiculous clinging" when tapping on glass becomes as accurate and enjoyable as typing on real keys.

It amazes me that you think you deserve a PKB phone. What reputable company is going to build a device for a few people, make it affordable and lose money?
I have an idea! You start a company and show everyone how it’s done.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site

Sure it's exciting... It's not the physicality aspect that makes it so but how one uses their device and what it can do for them. As for "predictable" I'm unsure what you meant by that but at the end of the day, they all are designed (even BlackBerry's) to achieve the same goals.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site

Oh I'm sure if you gave it a real honest go you wouldn't find it as bad as you are making it out to be. Optional keyboards are available for download too if the factory installed doesn't please.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Oh I'm sure if you gave it a real honest go you wouldn't find it as bad as you are making it out to be. Optional keyboards are available for download too if the factory installed doesn't please.
Lol I already disclosed that I have an S10e which is what I consider to be one of the best slabs available, but I just can't bring myself to swap my SIM into it because that would mean losing the tactility of the LE's keyboard.

Just because it's not "that bad" doesn't mean it's "that good" either.

Typing on glass is not enjoyable. Yes, 99.9 percent of the smartphone market deal with it just fine, but that doesn't mean it's the better input method, or that it's enjoyable and "amazing".

It's just "meh" at best.

Ever heard someone rave about how he/she loves typing on their slab?

No, because there's nothing to rave about. It's a "meh" experience.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
Lol I already disclosed that I have an S10e which is what I consider to be one of the best slabs available, but I just can't bring myself to swap my SIM into it because that would mean losing the tactility of the LE's keyboard.

Just because it's not "that bad" doesn't mean it's "that good" either.

Typing on glass is not enjoyable. Yes, 99.9 percent of the smartphone market deal with it just fine, but that doesn't mean it's the better input method, or that it's enjoyable and "amazing".

It's just "meh" at best.

Ever heard someone rave about how he/she loves typing on their slab?

No, because there's nothing to rave about. It's a "meh" experience.

I don't get excited about any keyboard physical or otherwise but those on my slabs most certainly get the job(s) done.

There's always voice input or Bluetooth keyboards if you really find on-screen typing taboo?

And remember... Your KEY2 LE won't be going anywhere anytime soon so just carry on as you have been.