09-23-2017 03:23 AM
46 12
tools
    Well, BB had rotten OS's up to the third update of BBOS10. So, I've basically bought BB phone's due to the rock solid hardware and especially for the PKB. For some reason I feel BB had a heavy hand in the design of the TCL KEYone, don't know for sure. So, if I have a rock solid hardware/phone with a PKB that's 90% of it for me.

So, is BB really dead, no, BB OS's are gone, which is a terrible shame now that BBOS10 finally running good. That's why so many are drawn to Apple anything, they work out the box. If Apple weren't so bloody expensive I'd jumped Windows PC decades ago.

My only phone that I use every day is the BB Passport.
    My Passport wielding friend would probably disagree to the "solid hardware" thing, he was just telling me the radio can't get a stable connection now and the camera couldn't focus. And he already had one replaced under warranty when he first bought it.

Seach "screen lift passport" ...
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-17-2017 02:16 PM
    Of course BB is "dead". They sold off the hardware division and are now a software company. Are you saying the brand is finished? Sounds like TCL intends to continue making midrange phones. So far no rumors of a flagship coming down the pipeline.
    05-01-2017 12:00 PM
    Of course BB is "dead". They sold off the hardware division and are now a software company. Are you saying the brand is finished? Sounds like TCL intends to continue making midrange phones. So far no rumors of a flagship coming down the pipeline.
    It's hard to get TCL to talk about a phone they have already launched and now have on sale.... who knows what/when/where those "two" devices will show up and be.

But in the end, it doesn't seem consumers are eating up the Aurora. Afraid any non PKB TCL/BlackBerry phones will face much the same lack of interest. Low end hardware at a high midgrade price is just not easy to sell people on.
    05-01-2017 02:59 PM
    Blackberry devices maybe be dead but the software side is doing well otherwise. With TCL making their devices and Blackberrys software they might find a spot in the smartphone world again.
    07-21-2017 07:15 AM
    Blackberry has what? Maybe 1.2% of the market compared to Apple, Samsung, LG, etc?
    Not every phone in the world has to be, or is expected to be, competition for an Apple/Samsung flagship.

In the Android world, there's LOTS of products that do a solid job but aren't Samsung Galaxy. (Some of them are even Samsung phones.)

Why aren't you comparing this phone's market share to, say, HTC?
    modifier likes this.
    07-21-2017 01:47 PM
    Not every phone in the world has to be, or is expected to be, competition for an Apple/Samsung flagship.

In the Android world, there's LOTS of products that do a solid job but aren't Samsung Galaxy. (Some of them are even Samsung phones.)

Why aren't you comparing this phone's market share to, say, HTC?
    Good point
    07-21-2017 02:54 PM
    Because there is only Apple and Samsung. Not even iOS or Android.
    07-29-2017 11:35 PM
    Yeah, the general public is just lame.
    jlost and Tetragrammaton like this.
    08-03-2017 02:16 PM
    Not dead yet but they need to stop launching devices that are not ready and do better testing before the public gets their hands on them.
    08-16-2017 11:52 AM
    I still find it funny when people say "BlackBerry is dead" because they were saying that back in 2013 when I bought my Q5 and yet here they are still pushing out software updates and new phones. We got 2 new devices this year. And 3 the previous year. With more to come in 2017.
    It has been almost a year since i said this and it's so great to see that we might be getting 4 new devices in 2017. Definitely shows Blackberry is still kicking not only with hardware (made by TCL obviously) but their marketing has been worked on as well. Seeing a lot more adverts around. This is making 2018 look a lot more positive. Can't wait to see what we get.

1) Blackberry KEYone
    2) Blackberry KEYone (Limited Edition Black)
    3) Blackberry "Juno"
    4) Blackberry "Krypton"
    NewYork_NY and Morty2264 like this.
    08-31-2017 04:17 AM
    Totally agree. It looks like there's a market for Blackberry and they're doing 'some' things right. Hopefully as they gain tractions we'll see more stable TCL launches on the upcoming devices.
    I'm still getting used to my new KEYone, but so far it's hitting a lot of the marks.

R
    08-31-2017 01:51 PM
    Totally agree. It looks like there's a market for Blackberry and they're doing 'some' things right. Hopefully as they gain tractions we'll see more stable TCL launches on the upcoming devices.
    I'm still getting used to my new KEYone, but so far it's hitting a lot of the marks.

R
    What's the hardest thing to get used to?
    08-31-2017 03:18 PM
    What's the hardest thing to get used to?
    I'm looking at these things solely from a familiarity standpoint. Considering a lot of people who are going to come back to Blackberry were previously using other devices, I think it would have been a good idea have some of the things people are familiar with (hardware-wise) on the Blackberry.

One thing I find myself doing repeatedly out of habit is pushing the space bar to try to get to the home screen. I understand when I'm in a text box I'd want to use the space to actually create a space, but coming from other Android devices (some that had a home button) it's just habit to hit the button on the bottom to get to home. I haven't tried this, but maybe I can create a shortcut to do that?

Another item is the power button on the left and the volume rocker and convenience key on the right. It's opposite to many of the other devices I've had experience with ranging from Samsung to LG and Kyocera.

Not sure if this is hardware or software or a combination of both, but an always on display would be useful. I didn't realize how often I had used it until I didn't have it any longer. I'd like to be able to keep the BBK1 on the desk and see the time and date without having to interact with it... especially while in a meeting.

None of these are deal breakers for me. I wrote a review on here of all the things I like about the BBK1 which posted on Wed. It's a solid device and I think it's got some really cool tricks too. Love the way it looks - very executive. If you're interested - https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...=1#post5946916
    jlost likes this.
    09-01-2017 11:00 AM
    Yeah, BlackBerry is dead. Status Quo have retired from the music biz. People will stop eating McDonald's and drinking Coke now we know it's bad for us. And Donald Trump will never be president.
    I'll be over here holding my breath. X
    NewYork_NY and modifier like this.
    09-08-2017 11:20 AM
    Captain!!..... Yes Bones?....... I think we've broken the space time continuum......Really? ...... Yes, we keep getting posts from 2013.
    jlost likes this.
    09-08-2017 11:44 AM
    people have been saying BlackBerry is dead for years yet here they are and they now have a phone that is working for some. they are not going away anytime soon
    09-21-2017 09:56 AM
    people have been saying BlackBerry is dead for years yet here they are and they now have a phone that is working for some. they are not going away anytime soon
    I mean, they literally did kill off their mobile hardware division and are licensing out the name.
    09-21-2017 11:17 AM
    It has been almost a year since i said this and it's so great to see that we might be getting 4 new devices in 2017. Definitely shows Blackberry is still kicking not only with hardware (made by TCL obviously) but their marketing has been worked on as well. Seeing a lot more adverts around. This is making 2018 look a lot more positive. Can't wait to see what we get.

1) Blackberry KEYone
    2) Blackberry KEYone (Limited Edition Black)
    3) Blackberry "Juno"
    4) Blackberry "Krypton"
    That's super exciting! Can't wait!
    09-21-2017 04:00 PM
    honestly, I still use a blackberry z10 from 2013, it runs on bb10 os, it still recieves security updates and runs very smooth.
    it can run Android/ Google apps through a sideload that runs on a 4.3 runtime so it can run most apps with patch. though not all run well.
    it's a shame bb10 didn't catch on well because it's a great os
    09-22-2017 09:36 PM
    That's super exciting! Can't wait!
    Tcl really isn't that exciting
    09-22-2017 09:38 PM
    What share of the car market does Farrari currently have?
    What does Niche market mean?
    Tetragrammaton likes this.
    09-23-2017 03:23 AM
46 12