Even with this phone, BB is effectively dead

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I still find it funny when people say "BlackBerry is dead" because they were saying that back in 2013 when I bought my Q5 and yet here they are still pushing out software updates and new phones. We got 2 new devices this year. And 3 the previous year. With more to come in 2017. :)

This. I couldn't agree more.

EndRacism

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
Well, BB had rotten OS's up to the third update of BBOS10. So, I've basically bought BB phone's due to the rock solid hardware and especially for the PKB. For some reason I feel BB had a heavy hand in the design of the TCL KEYone, don't know for sure. So, if I have a rock solid hardware/phone with a PKB that's 90% of it for me.

So, is BB really dead, no, BB OS's are gone, which is a terrible shame now that BBOS10 finally running good. That's why so many are drawn to Apple anything, they work out the box. If Apple weren't so bloody expensive I'd jumped Windows PC decades ago.

My only phone that I use every day is the BB Passport.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

It almost happens on a regular basis. People ask me what device I'm using and when I say Blackberry, you get the standard response, 'do they still make phone' 'I thought they went bankrupt'

As you said, we love Blackberry for their solid build quality, among other things. It just feels great in the hand and has some nice weight to it. A lot of phones you buy today feel so light and it's like, what did I just spend all that money on :)

Love my keyboard so much a couldn't imagine having a device without one. Hopefully that day never comes.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
It almost happens on a regular basis. People ask me what device I'm using and when I say Blackberry, you get the standard response, 'do they still make phone' 'I thought they went bankrupt'

As you said, we love Blackberry for their solid build quality, among other things. It just feels great in the hand and has some nice weight to it. A lot of phones you buy today feel so light and it's like, what did I just spend all that money on :)

Love my keyboard so much a couldn't imagine having a device without one. Hopefully that day never comes.

Why don't people read tech sites, forums etc, so that they're aware that BlackBerry has always made phones? It's pathetic. No wonder most people have a ******* iPhone. Bunch of sheep who do no research.

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, BB had rotten OS's up to the third update of BBOS10. So, I've basically bought BB phone's due to the rock solid hardware and especially for the PKB. For some reason I feel BB had a heavy hand in the design of the TCL KEYone, don't know for sure. So, if I have a rock solid hardware/phone with a PKB that's 90% of it for me.

So, is BB really dead, no, BB OS's are gone, which is a terrible shame now that BBOS10 finally running good. That's why so many are drawn to Apple anything, they work out the box. If Apple weren't so bloody expensive I'd jumped Windows PC decades ago.

My Passport wielding friend would probably disagree to the "solid hardware" thing, he was just telling me the radio can't get a stable connection now and the camera couldn't focus. And he already had one replaced under warranty when he first bought it.

Seach "screen lift passport" ...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Of course BB is "dead". They sold off the hardware division and are now a software company. Are you saying the brand is finished? Sounds like TCL intends to continue making midrange phones. So far no rumors of a flagship coming down the pipeline.

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Of course BB is "dead". They sold off the hardware division and are now a software company. Are you saying the brand is finished? Sounds like TCL intends to continue making midrange phones. So far no rumors of a flagship coming down the pipeline.

It's hard to get TCL to talk about a phone they have already launched and now have on sale.... who knows what/when/where those "two" devices will show up and be.

But in the end, it doesn't seem consumers are eating up the Aurora. Afraid any non PKB TCL/BlackBerry phones will face much the same lack of interest. Low end hardware at a high midgrade price is just not easy to sell people on.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Blackberry devices maybe be dead but the software side is doing well otherwise. With TCL making their devices and Blackberrys software they might find a spot in the smartphone world again.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Blackberry has what? Maybe 1.2% of the market compared to Apple, Samsung, LG, etc?

Not every phone in the world has to be, or is expected to be, competition for an Apple/Samsung flagship.

In the Android world, there's LOTS of products that do a solid job but aren't Samsung Galaxy. (Some of them are even Samsung phones.)

Why aren't you comparing this phone's market share to, say, HTC?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not every phone in the world has to be, or is expected to be, competition for an Apple/Samsung flagship.

In the Android world, there's LOTS of products that do a solid job but aren't Samsung Galaxy. (Some of them are even Samsung phones.)

Why aren't you comparing this phone's market share to, say, HTC?
Good point

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Not dead yet but they need to stop launching devices that are not ready and do better testing before the public gets their hands on them.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I still find it funny when people say "BlackBerry is dead" because they were saying that back in 2013 when I bought my Q5 and yet here they are still pushing out software updates and new phones. We got 2 new devices this year. And 3 the previous year. With more to come in 2017. :)

It has been almost a year since i said this and it's so great to see that we might be getting 4 new devices in 2017. :D Definitely shows Blackberry is still kicking not only with hardware (made by TCL obviously) but their marketing has been worked on as well. Seeing a lot more adverts around. This is making 2018 look a lot more positive. Can't wait to see what we get.

1) Blackberry KEYone
2) Blackberry KEYone (Limited Edition Black)
3) Blackberry "Juno"
4) Blackberry "Krypton"

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree. It looks like there's a market for Blackberry and they're doing 'some' things right. Hopefully as they gain tractions we'll see more stable TCL launches on the upcoming devices.
I'm still getting used to my new KEYone, but so far it's hitting a lot of the marks.

R
What's the hardest thing to get used to?

graylingboy

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, BlackBerry is dead. Status Quo have retired from the music biz. People will stop eating McDonald's and drinking Coke now we know it's bad for us. And Donald Trump will never be president.
I'll be over here holding my breath. X

graylingboy

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Captain!!..... Yes Bones?....... I think we've broken the space time continuum......Really? ...... Yes, we keep getting posts from 2013.

anon(9710967)

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
people have been saying BlackBerry is dead for years yet here they are and they now have a phone that is working for some. they are not going away anytime soon

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
people have been saying BlackBerry is dead for years yet here they are and they now have a phone that is working for some. they are not going away anytime soon

I mean, they literally did kill off their mobile hardware division and are licensing out the name.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE