You going to get a BlackBerry KEYone?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: You going to get a BlackBerry Mercury?

I miss BlackBerry a lot, so if I can combine my love of BB and Android, I'm sure I will at some point; be it with the Mercury or another device!

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

100% getting it!!!!

Always been a BlackBerry fan since the Storm. Since the Storm, only have bought PKB BlackBerrys. Absolutely love BlackBerry and the PKB is 99% of the reason I stay BlackBerry.

I've always avoided the glass slab BlackBerrys. There are way better options out there for a glass slabs other than BlackBerry IMHO.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

100% getting it!!!!

Always been a BlackBerry fan since the Storm. Since the Storm, only have bought PKB BlackBerrys. Absolutely love BlackBerry and the PKB is 99% of the reason I stay BlackBerry.

I've always avoided the glass slab BlackBerrys. There are way better options out there for a glass slabs other than BlackBerry IMHO.

Couldn't agree with you more! Loved the Storm and the BlackBerry's physical keyboard! My best typing experience was still on a BlackBerry - on my Q10 or Bold 9780. The prediction and layout of the Q10 keyboard were superb.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

Thinking about getting the Mercury, it depends not on price but high build quality and a keyboard that is a pleasure to use as the 9900 is, one can hope.

I've watched a couple reviews about the device and so far all of them have praised the build quality. :) Still waiting for 'JerryRigEverything' to do a full scratch, bend and flame test on the device with a teardown but i have high hopes it will hold up really well. Crackberry Kevin still things the Bold 9900 has the best keyboard but the KEYone comes in a close second.

Best advice would be to pop by the store and feel for yourself. It looks ike many carriers will be.. um caring it. So shouldn't be hard to find a demo unit in the US at least. :)

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
@ToniCipriani - give it a spin when it is available in store. Trust me, you'll love it. I find the Priv much more top heavy, the KEYone is perfectly balanced and built like a tank.
I already did. I was at Kevin's Toronto Meet. Phone itself was good hardware, it's the longevity of the software, so I maintain my opinion.

You can say I'm butthurt about the Priv losing support, whatever, but I'm losing trust in BlackBerry "as a software company" by day, judging by how they are dealing with the beta/early release users. It's not BlackBerry Mobile I'm worried about, in fact I feel bad for them for partnering up with such an uncommitted company.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Cool - I'm sure others share your concern... but for me, still quite excited for the new hardware.

So great that you were able to attend the Toronto meetup. Hope you had a good time!!

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Cool - I'm sure others share your concern... but for me, still quite excited for the new hardware.

So great that you were able to attend the Toronto meetup. Hope you had a good time!!
Oh I'm certainly not alone. There's a poor guy in the beta forums who still hasn't got his March updates, and basically resorted to sending begging emails daily, and lots equally frustrated elsewhere.

ReluctantDroid

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
You can count me as someone who has been 99% satisfied with the Blackberry 10 OS for the past four years. I have tried several Android phones, with the latest being a Lollipop one, and I've been forced to use iPhones a few times, which I utterly deplore.

I will be buying a KEYone shortly after launch (I'll wait for one or two monthly updates to work out the kinks.) I'm excited about both the hardware and Android N, but the real test will come after I have the phone. What's always happened in the past is that, after trying an Android phone for a couple of weeks, and getting it all configured and working, I run into a very busy period, with lots of air travel and mobile work, and I jump back to my Blackberry Passport because it just lets me work faster and more accurately. Part of that is the keyboard, and part is my preference for all the functions that are fully integrated into the BB10 OS. Most of my work is pure communications and Internet work, so I don't use many third party apps.

I suspect that it will come down to whether or not Office 365, including Skype for Business, works well on Android. I've tried the apps on my iPad, and was far from impressed. I don't have these apps on my BB10 phone, so the thought is that, if I can use them, that will be a win for Android. I'm not much of a Google apps person, so better access to those tools is of only limited value.

The KEYone looks like the absolute perfect phone for me from a hardware perspective. I love the form factor and the keyboard, especially the ability to create so many shortcuts!. I hope and expect that Android N is far superior to Lollipop and that I can make the adjustment this time.

ReluctantDroid

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
You can say I'm butthurt about the Priv losing support, whatever, but I'm losing trust in BlackBerry "as a software company" by day, judging by how they are dealing with the beta/early release users. It's not BlackBerry Mobile I'm worried about, in fact I feel bad for them for partnering up with such an uncommitted company..

The Priv already received the update from L to M, didn't it, and Blackberry will almost certainly update it a couple of months after the KEYone is released. But they really need to make sure their new phone is launched and running perfectly before they update older phones.

There aren't a lot of other Android manufacturers who are committed to updating phones more than a single Android version, and they take a long time too. I think you're holding Blackberry to a very high standard. Also, you must realize that Blackberry's commitment to being a software company has more to do with Enterprise Moblie solutions than handsets. They don't stand to make a lot of money from Android, no matter how well any of TCL's phones sell.

All that said, I do expect them to update the Priv sooner than later. They have always preferred to support a single OS version whenever the hardware allowed for it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke