The KEYone may have an issue with popping displays after small drops

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The Blackberry KEYone is so far, one of my favorite devices of 2017, combining novel design with current software and some other nice stuff.

However, I'm now quite worried about the potential durability as I've been hearing of displays popping out of the chassis even after a minor drop.

Over at Crackberry, user The_Q posted a thread, showing his KEYone's display that has been detached from the chassis after a minor drop on the center console of his BMW.
IMG_6236.JPG

Just now, YouTuber Zack Nelson of JerryRigEverything noticed that during the bend test part of his durability videos, the display popped off rather easily and noticed the lack of adhesives underneath the panel that could have stuck the display onto the chassis.

https://youtu.be/mavrdYZPg0Q

If this is indicative of a wider issue, then TCL alongside BlackBerry needs to come up with a proper solution for not only future KEYone customers but current ones as well, because if there really is no adhesive under the display on all KEYones sold so far, this can be a pretty significant issue.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
We all knew the JerryRigEverything treatment was coming. :) haha.

I was crossing fingers that all went well and screens coming off was not a actual weak point for the KEYone. To be honest, i would never put my phone under that much pressure so the chance of the screen coming off is fairly low for my use case. However, I think it's a definite no no that TCL or Blackberry Mobile did not stick that screen down harder or provide any sort of adhesive to lock it down. Seems like almost nothing is holding it in place. Hopefully they can improve on this. The keyboard is great, the fingerprint sensor is great, camera is great but obviously not enough attention was given to the screen.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
We all knew the JerryRigEverything treatment was coming. :) haha.

I was crossing fingers that all went well and screens coming off was not a actual weak point for the KEYone. To be honest, i would never put my phone under that much pressure so the chance of the screen coming off is fairly low for my use case. However, I think it's a definite no no that TCL or Blackberry Mobile did not stick that screen down harder or provide any sort of adhesive to lock it down. Seems like almost nothing is holding it in place. Hopefully they can improve on this. The keyboard is great, the fingerprint sensor is great, camera is great but obviously not enough attention was given to the screen.
You don't have to bend it to force it to come out.

Even a small drop can do the same.

That needs to be addressed.

And it's definitely TCL, since they make the actual phone.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
You don't have to bend it to force it to come out.

Even a small drop can do the same.

That needs to be addressed.

And it's definitely TCL, since they make the actual phone.

I promised myself that I would not look at the Crackberry KEYᵒⁿᵉ forum after I watched that video. I caved. Lol. 😃

It's actually a good thing that videos like this do get made because at least it informs buyers about what could happen under small or large amounts of force.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I promised myself that I would not look at the Crackberry KEYᵒⁿᵉ forum after I watched that video. I caved. Lol. 😃

It's actually a good thing that videos like this do get made because at least it informs buyers about what could happen under small or large amounts of force.
Yeah. I hope Zack's reach will eventually get TCL to do something.

From the CB thread, it's clear that something needs to be done asap.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
What would they actually do? If they announced a fix for new manufactured units going forward, where does that leave the units already made? They would have to announce a recall. Doubt that would happen so it would be a silent fix I think which would suck for many people. Makes me want to cancel my order and wait it out.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
What would they actually do? If they announced a fix for new manufactured units going forward, where does that leave the units already made? They would have to announce a recall. Doubt that would happen so it would be a silent fix I think which would suck for many people. Makes me want to cancel my order and wait it out.

Let's wait and see 😃 As you said, I think it would simply be a silent fix. Highly doubt there would be a recall because it's not a physical defect like the Galaxy Note 7 which could break without you using it.

Luckily they don't have to do much and it's just adding some adhesive to the back of the screen.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Let's wait and see 😃 As you said, I think it would simply be a silent fix. Highly doubt there would be a recall because it's not a physical defect like the Galaxy Note 7 which could break without you using it.

Luckily they don't have to do much and it's just adding some adhesive to the back of the screen.
Just wondering, could you put crazy glue on the screen and set it back in our will that ruin it?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering, could you put crazy glue on the screen and set it back in our will that ruin it?
I wouldn't be surprised if the chemicals in the glue would react badly with either the screen or the connection components. Some super glues can literally eat through plastic.

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if the chemicals in the glue would react badly with either the screen or the connection components. Some super glues can literally eat through plastic.

Less about corrosion through, rather than physically contracting and damaging the screen when it dries.

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. I hope Zack's reach will eventually get TCL to do something.

From the CB thread, it's clear that something needs to be done asap.

They issued an official statement.

TCL Communication has a long-standing track record of delivering high-quality devices to our customers around the world, and the BlackBerry KEYone is no different. To ensure the highest quality in the BlackBerry KEYone, we used strong, durable premium materials and conducted rigorous stress tests on the device throughout the product development cycle to meet the real life use standards our customers demand. While the BlackBerry KEYone is being met with great enthusiasm, we are aware of the concerns around potential display separation on the device. Out of the thousands of BlackBerry KEYone smartphones that have been shipped and sold globally, only a very small handful of customers have reported this kind of issue.

Our teams are actively examining additional adhesive measures that might further strengthen and eliminate any possibility of display separation occurring. If a customer does experience this however, they’re encouraged to contact us for a device warranty replacement.

Only thing is, you're only "encouraged" to contact for a replacement, no guarantee saying that they won't deny your claim saying it's user-induced physical damage, breaching the device limited warranty.

Why can't they outright say they will extend the warranty to no-questions asked if your screen falls out is beyond me.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site

Only thing is, you're only "encouraged" to contact for a replacement, no guarantee saying that they won't deny your claim saying it's user-induced physical damage, breaching the device limited warranty.

Why can't they outright say they will extend the warranty to no-questions asked if your screen falls out is beyond me.

Probably because they don't want people going and trying to pop their screen just to get a fresh phone would be my guess.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

As the post above me said, they can't guarantee a replacement because some people will purposefully break it just inside the warranty period to get a free phone again. 😃

As they said in their statement, they feel the KEYᵒⁿᵉ "used strong, durable premium materials to meet the real life use standards our customers demand" 😃

So they hoping this will be a deterrence for people to actually try break it, rather than it happening by accident. I'm very happy to see they have acknowledged it and hopefully we will never see behind a KEYᵒⁿᵉ screen again on devices going forward.

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Probably because they don't want people going and trying to pop their screen just to get a fresh phone would be my guess.

Fair enough, but those would be fairly easy to spot, if someone purposefully tried to pry it out or something. Besides I'm sure they won't be sending brand new units, they'll be refurbished and the returned unit will just get a new screen or adhesive and return to the refurbished pool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12