BB KEYone - few bugs/observations noticed so far

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Got my new KEYone the other day and am running it on AT&T. Previous device that I still own is a Note 5. Been a BB user since before the days of the BB Curve. Anyway, I am having a couple issues that are driving me nuts so if anyone has any insight, please feel free to chime in.

1) Calendar notifications for events are 50/50 meaning, some events alert me visually and audibly and some don't alert me at all. Doesn't matter if I use the stock BB Calendar, DigiCal Plus (which I've been using for years on the Note 5 with zero alert issues), SOL Calendar, etc. Calendars are synced to my Google Calendar. All work 100% fine on the Note 5. All settings on the device as well as in the calendar apps are set-up correctly. I've uninstalled and reinstalled these apps numerous times and still I get the same thing.

How a device built solely on productivity has an issue like this is beyond my paygrade.

2) I have a brand new Silicone Power USB 3.0 128GB flash drive that gives me the following error when trying to access by USBTG: "This device doesn't support this UFD 3.0 USB drive. Tap to set-up a supported format".

This drive is formatted in exFat. I have three other different USB 2.0 and 3.0 flash drives, all of which are formatted in exFat that are recognized by the device. If I choose to tap to set-up a supported format, obviously it will format my drive and I don't want to do that as I have 115GB of stuff on it. The data is backed-up however, I don't want to have to reformat and reinstall back onto the drive.

3) Just an observation, wife says call quality on her end is absolutely horrible when I call her or she calls me. Says it sounds like I'm talking from across the room. Happens even when we both have 4 or 5 service bars of signal. Probably happens on 75% of calls.

Again, productivity device with a productivity issue.

Anyone else having any of these issues?

My main concern is the calendar syncing issue since my life revolves around calendar notifications.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
On a positive note, the battery in this is as good as advertised. So far on it's current full charge, I'm at 36 hours on battery with 9 hours SOT, and 45 minutes of voice calls. All of this with still 10% remaining.

Can't ask for anything more.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey @odb9014 Great to hear you are loving the battery life 😃 625 paired with a 3,505mAh will always produce some epic results.

Regarding question 1. For the stock calendar app, what I normally do is open the calendar and select a day. Then click the "plus" icon. It should give you 2 options. I then select the little Bell icon.

Both options work perfectly for me (just tested) but I prefer to use the bell icon since its quick and easy to add something in. I presume your calendar app is the latest version?

Just make sure you have not enabled "meeting mode" in the calendar settings. This will stop some notifications coming through. OR maybe alter the requirements under it for which notifications get silenced.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Regarding question 3. There have been other members who have mentioned their calls either having low volume or the call quality seemed below par (not many though).

I can't say for certain if this is just a carrier problem or there is a physical problem with the device. A new device may fix the problem, but obviously that's a hassle.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I'll check some more things when I get a chance in a while. I do believe I have meeting mode disabled or off.

Calendar app is in fact the most current version however I have it disabled because I am trying SOL Calendar at the moment.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Seems like the only calendar that works somewhat on this device is the stock BB Calendar. I say somewhat because after some testing, I appear to be receiving all notifications (time will tell) however, some of the calendar dates are messed up. Example of this is when scrolling in agenda view, you will see entries from June 30th, then you'll scroll through July 1st entries, then you'll scroll through more June 30th entries, then scroll to July 2nd entries, etc.

I've uninstalled updates, reinstalled updates, cleared app cache, cleared system cache under storage settings. Nothing solves this issue.

My true question is why will zero 3rd party calendar applications not function on this device? I've never had an issue with any 3rd party calendar app on any device (even sub $100 devices). DigiCal+ and Sol Calendar have worked 100% for me for years.

I'm seriously about to brick wall test this thing and go back to my trusty Note 5, even though I'll have to plug it in more often, everything works as it should on it.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Another thing that I have found is that a widget that I created in the Minimalist Text app (a widget that I have used for two years on the home screen of my Note 5 without an issue) will constantly stop updating the time. The widget is configured identical to the widget on my N5. It is constantly not syncing time. There's definitely an issue with the software on this phone whether its the battery optimization stuff or syncing or whatever else.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
After researching, the notification issue stems from the June 2017 security patch. It is all over the forums at Crackberry. Workaround is to keep the apps open in recent apps until they patch it with a fix.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Another thing that I have found is that a widget that I created in the Minimalist Text app (a widget that I have used for two years on the home screen of my Note 5 without an issue) will constantly stop updating the time. The widget is configured identical to the widget on my N5. It is constantly not syncing time. There's definitely an issue with the software on this phone whether its the battery optimization stuff or syncing or whatever else.

Likely it's battery optimization. This isn't a device issue; this is a Nougat issue.

I've slowly discovered a handful of apps that I want to keep updating--like Gmail, SMS Backup and Restore, and so on. I've had to go in and individually turn off battery optimization for each one.

Try it.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I've already done this and have had no luck. Only thing that is working for me is to keep those apps in question (ie: DigiCal+ and/or BB Calendar and Minimalist Text) running. That is what the people over at Crackberry have listed as a temporary workaround until they push a patch that fixes their previous patch. BB have chimed in over there as well and say that they will escalate things along.

Interestingly, my Gmail and text messaging (Signal) are not affected and I can close them from running apps and they update/push alerts no problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63