How is the KEYOne screen better than the Priv screen?

twberry

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
I enjoy my BlackBerry Priv and am considering whether to "upgrade" to the KEYOne.

The article "BlackBerry KEYone vs. BlackBerry Priv: No contest" says that the KeyOne has a better screen, but it does not explain how so. The Priv's pixels-per-inch is 550 vs the KeyOne's 433PPI with the same 24-bit color depth. Can someone explain what makes the KeyOne's screen better?

Note: I tried to post this comment/question with the article but AndroidCentral says I don't have enough reputation to comment on "old" content.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming that they're referencing the display color accuracy, however I'm not sure because I don't think they have any equipment to measure it and I haven't seen any indication that anyone else has done measurements.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I enjoy my BlackBerry Priv and am considering whether to "upgrade" to the KEYOne.

The article "BlackBerry KEYone vs. BlackBerry Priv: No contest" says that the KeyOne has a better screen, but it does not explain how so. The Priv's pixels-per-inch is 550 vs the KeyOne's 433PPI with the same 24-bit color depth. Can someone explain what makes the KeyOne's screen better?

Note: I tried to post this comment/question with the article but AndroidCentral says I don't have enough reputation to comment on "old" content.

There is a website called "Phonearena" and it does more detailed tests on Blackberry devices that get launched. :)

According to them the KEYone has 665 Nits of brightness vs 404 on the PRIV. They also detail various things like;
  • Color gamut
  • Color accuracy
  • Grayscale accuracy
Are their tests accurate? I'm not sure about that but haven't see any other website go into that much detail. I personally love the Priv's screen and i cant say that the KEYone is such a huge upgrade that its worth switching for it. I actually prefer the Priv because its screen can get darker :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If Phone Arena's numbers are correct, the Priv has the better display. That said, their numbers are definitely not correct.

twberry

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. Using PhoneArena's compare tool, although they give the KEYone a slightly better overall score, looking at features one-on-one I would have probably concluded that the Priv had the slight advantage. I'm probably going to wait until I really need a new phone to "upgrade;" it's good to know there will still be some form of BlackBerry.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I haven't seen the KEYone in real life but I had the Priv before, and the display was stunning.

The K1 is only 1080p, although it's a plus that it gets quite bright.

Derek Stacey

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
I've had both. One thing that freaked me out with the K1 was losing the ability to see the screen in landscape mode with polarized sunglasses on. Tried to take a picture, poof the screen would go black. Take the glasses off, all good :)

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I've had both. One thing that freaked me out with the K1 was losing the ability to see the screen in landscape mode with polarized sunglasses on. Tried to take a picture, poof the screen would go black. Take the glasses off, all good :)

How does the screen quality compare to the Priv's overall? Sharpness, brightness...

Derek Stacey

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
For what I use a phone for, it was fine. I didn't notice much of a change between the KeyOne and the PRIV, mind you I'm not terribly picky about things like that. Brighter than the PRIV, not as sharp. I use a phone mostly for work. If the reception was the same as the PRIV, I'd still be using it. That being said, it's definitely not the S8+ that I'm using now.