Is it at all possible to bring back BB10-style swipe up to home screen and "peek and flow" to Androi

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I really, really miss how BB10 functions. It's the most immersive and satisfying way to navigate your phone.

Is it possible to manipulate Android in such a way to make it work and feel like BB10?

P.S. I ran out of characters in the title but it didn't let me know that!

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Re: Is it at all possible to bring back BB10-style swipe up to home screen and "peek and flow" to An

Android and BB10 are both based on a Linux kernel, so it's entirely possible to create a peek-and-flow type interface in Android. It might be as simple as a launcher or as complex as a custom ROM. If BlackBerry ever worked it into their launcher then they'd likely gain some popularity. It would have to be seamless though. Any sign of drag on resources and it wouldn't be well-accepted.

BB10 was great with navigation, app switching and Hub integration. I miss it for that reason alone.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is it at all possible to bring back BB10-style swipe up to home screen and "peek and flow" to An

It was available on the Priv, no?

Sort of. When you swipe up from the bottom you get 3 app shortcuts. The one on the right is the BlackBerry Hub so you get the feeling of swiping up and to the right to see you Hub but it's actually just opening an app and doesn't allow the "Peek" functionality of BlackBerry 10 :)

It is close though.

graylingboy

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site

A BB10 skin. Ooh , now that I like!!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

A BB10 skin. Ooh , now that I like!!

That would be pretty awesome. It could possibly even happen. The Blackberry launcher for Android has 2 different styles for the icons. You can get a BB7 icon pack or a BB10 icon pack which add that little something extra. I really appreciate it and make me feel a little 'more at home' about switching because i can still get some of the feeling from BB10 back again. :)

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

I wonder why that wasn't carried over.

Maybe the Android OS just doesn't have that sort of functionality or Blackberry didn't see the need to do it. Not everything from Blackberry 10 can be implemented in Android. They don't have full control of the OS from the ground up like they did with Blackberry 10. 😃

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site

Running Hub+ in a left-hand tray inside the BB Launcher like how the Google Now screen runs in the Pixel Launcher would be relatively easy. Introducing Peek and Flow from everywhere regardless of app would be far more difficult. It would take a custom ROM at a minimum, reducing update times considerably. I suspect this might be a major reason why it hasn't been done yet. BB and BBMo both have a hard enough time just keeping the OS and apps updated.

I'm still waiting for dark themes in BB Calendar and Contacts.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

Dark theme for BBM would also be really nice 😃 loved using it on Blackberry 10. Hopefully they are planning to add it at some point (Android or IOS)

SPQR ROMULUS

Banned
Sep 21, 2017
Visit site

Dark theme for BBM would also be really nice 😃 loved using it on Blackberry 10. Hopefully they are planning to add it at some point (Android or IOS)

Matty, just concede to the fact blackberry is dead as far as devices go

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

They could've included the swipe up shortcuts from the Priv on the KEYone. Idk why not.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site

Running Hub+ in a left-hand tray inside the BB Launcher like how the Google Now screen runs in the Pixel Launcher would be relatively easy. Introducing Peek and Flow from everywhere regardless of app would be far more difficult. It would take a custom ROM at a minimum, reducing update times considerably. I suspect this might be a major reason why it hasn't been done yet. BB and BBMo both have a hard enough time just keeping the OS and apps updated.

Can we get someone to make the ROM please?!

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

Yeah. Probably to make it easier to update and maintain.
The Priv didn't get Nougat.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I understand how you feel, OP! I too miss BB 10's OS.

kojita

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

worst is you do find this fluidity on iPhone X ....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000