Hey all, haven't posted here in ages. Come here often to read up, but forgot what username and password I signed up with back when I had the GS3.

Anyway, thought I'd share a few of my first experiences. I've had the Blackberry KEYone from Sprint for just over a week now and thought it was time to write about some of the features and things I like about it. I'm sure some of these things have already made the rounds and some of the things I like others may not.
    Blackberry KEYone - What I like about it...-20170830_120336.jpg

It's still pretty early in the game and there's been a few maintenance releases and such, but overall I'm finding the Blackberry experience to be quite nice.

Body - I really like the way the Blackbery KEYone (BBK1) feels. It's a nice solid device with a very cool executive look. It's not too thick even with the keyboard and the screen is a wonderful size for email and texting. I was afraid that the keyboard was going to take up too much real-estate when in fact it made it easier to type while still seeing what I was typing. Granted, in landscape mode for watching YouTube and such, the screen is smaller than many of the other devices on the market today. All I can say is watching videos on the BBK1 is a pleasant experience. The picture is crisp, clear and bright. I found it quite comfortable to hold it in landscape mode as I didn't have to place both hands solely around the edges to hold it for fear of blocking the screen.
    Did I mention how handsome this device is? I digress...
    Blackberry KEYone - What I like about it...-20170830_120355.jpg

The Keyboard - oh boy. So, as an old Blackberry user I was really torn up when I had to move to an android device that was all touch keyboard. I got used to it though and never looked back. Coming back to a Blackberry after all this time had me at a slight disadvantage. There's a learning curve to using a physical keyboard. It's only been a week, but I'm getting the hang of using it again. The buttons feel nice. They have a slight click when you push them, though they push easily and smoothly. Word prediction is particularly nice on this device and they built in really cool swiping gestures to choose the predicted words. For example 3 predictive word options pop up. One on the left, one in the middle and one on the right just above the keyboard. Just swipe up on the physical keyboard to the left, right or middle to choose the word. Cool! You can also swipe back to delete.
    Blackberry KEYone - What I like about it...-20170830_120451.jpg
    SWEET FEATURE ALERT! You can set the Physical Keyboard to swipe! I Love this feature. One of the things that made it easier for me to come back to using a physical keyboard is this cool little gem. I have no idea how they added sensors to the keys like they did, but if you go into keyboard settings and activate the physical keyboard swipe options (search Keyboard under settings > Choose Blackberry Keyboard > Type by swiping). It's just super cool. Just running your finger over the key's your normally press types the words on the screen. As I've only figured this little trick out a little while ago I'll have to report back on it, but so far I like it a lot. It's a neat trick. Yeah - I said neat. W'ever.,
    The keyboard also works like a track pad on multiple apps - when reading articles, scrolling through text messages, surfing or in the Blackberry Hub. Just swipe your finger up and down to scroll.

Microphone - Look, lets be honest here. Blackberry is highly regarded in the business world. As such, the basics of a phone call are quite important. This phone is great for conference calls! People report being able to hear me loud and clear. I've used the microphone on the device itself with speaker on and off. Not one complaint from the listener on the other end. The noise canceling microphone does a nice job, though as with every device I've ever owned the cancelation is stretched to it's limits when used in NYC with all the sirens and constant background noise. General background noise like typing etc. is still picked up from time to time, though the speakers voice is the prominent sound to pass through. This holds true for the mic when speaker is turned on or off. Also, the headset is great for conference calls. I'm often using 'Skype' with a USB headset which sounds nice and clear. However, when I used the BBK1 to dial in to my conference sessions no one was the wiser. I asked how I sounded and everyone said 'loud and clear'. I haven't tried the headset/earbuds for music yet. They don't look like much, but hey - they could surprise me. From a phone call standpoint they sound great. People come through clear to my ears and not tinny. In a time when some manufacturers don't put any headphones in the box, this is a nice addition to have included.

The finger print scanner is one of the best I've had experience using! Hands down.. seems to just work. Blackberry KEYone - What I like about it...-20170830_142440.jpg
    It's built into the space bar on the keyboard and hasn't failed me once. I haven't had to clean the sensor like on some of my other devices. It's pretty cool placement and though I initially had it set to read only my thumb, I've also added my pointer finger to make it easier to access while the device is lying down on it's back on the desk.
    TIP! When the device is asleep I've found I could just push the spacebar with my finger and it will read my print and unlock at the same time. This is a fantastic way to get the device unlocked and operational very quickly.
    Blackberry KEYone - What I like about it...-20170830_140557.jpg
    Quick Charge 3.0 with the USB-C works really well on this device bringing it to 50% in around 30+ minutes. I find it depends on what's running in the background so they also included a feature called 'Boost Mode' which stops apps from running in the background to conserve energy and charge faster. This Boost Mode only works up to 50% and then switches to regular charging. You can change this setting to boost charge to 100%, but keep in mind Email, Messaging and other apps may not update unless you open them. The BBK1 comes with a 3.0 Quick Charger in the box.

Battery Life - well, I have to say I'm not a HEAVY user by any stretch. Since most of my days are in front of a computer I don't go to the KEYone that often. That being said, I charged the phone fully the day I activated it and in a week I've only had to charge it again once. I'm at 28% as I write this and will put it on the charger soon.
    Blackberry KEYone - What I like about it...-20170830_140659.jpg
    Blackberry Hub App - love it or hate it? Blackberry Hub comes native on the BBK1. Personally, I like that all my messages, calendar items, emails etc are all in one place. I have the option to pull in other messages from my social networks as well, though since I use this primarily as my work device I opted not to include all the clutter.
    Still, Hub is a great way to see everything at a glance. You can open up any of the items you bring into the Hub and get right to the app it's aligned with. If I click on an email from Hub it brings me to the email in the Email app. Nice touch. Missed calls and text message are right there and available. I like it.

There's more.. but I've got to spend more time with this device.

Some things do take getting used to - Power Button on the left instead of the right and I've become reliant on an always-on display. Maybe in a software update? Smiley Happy

Rick

As part of a device ambassador program I have the glorious opportunity to test out multiple devices by multiple manufacturers and write my opinions. I am not an employee of a device manufacturer and I do not speak on behalf of any mobile carriers. My opinions are solely my own. R
    08-30-2017 03:14 PM
    nice review, thank you. I look forward to moving from my Dtek 60 to the Key
    Morty2264 and NewYork_NY like this.
    08-31-2017 09:43 PM
    Thanks hammer40. There's still a learning curve for me coming from other devices, but I'm getting the hang of it. For work purposes it's great.

I'm also a huge fan of how the Blackberry does email. I've used other email apps including outlook for the company Microsoft Exchange outlook email address, but it pales in comparison to Blackberry. Emails come through on the Blackberry usually before they show up on my laptop. Emails are in the correct order and not in confusing backwards threads like Gmail.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-01-2017 09:31 AM
    Wow, thanks for the long detailed feedback! @NewYork_NY This is definitely the type of thing interested new customers would like to read.

Great to see the fingerprint sensor is working well for you. For a key that I push pretty often on a daily basis, it's good to see that it's built to last.

A droid a day, keep the apple away.
    09-02-2017 02:35 PM
    I have owned many BlackBerry phones over the years.

I had BlackBerry 9000, 9810, Z10, Z30, Priv and now KEYone and I have to say that this is absolutely the best BlackBerry phone I have ever owned. There was always something with previous phones that I did not like. Z10 horrible battery, Z30 low resolution screen, Priv camera and poor battery but KEYone Is just perfect.

Hardware is superb, great screen, great keyboard, awesome battery life and very good camera.

Software is awesome. BlackBerry made such a HUGE progress since the release of Priv.

And last but not least the phone looks just beautiful and yet professional.

It is just a joy to look at it and own KEYone.

This phone is just perfect. No compromises. Pure BlackBerry perfection.
    09-03-2017 01:14 PM
    I really love mine (got a replacement for the one with screen coming off). I really wish they released the 4GB/64GB version right from the start...I might still get/upgrade to the Black edition, but so far, this phone has finally got me to "retire" my iPhone 7 Plus.
    NewYork_NY likes this.
    09-04-2017 05:53 PM
    Wow, thanks for the long detailed feedback! @NewYork_NY This is definitely the type of thing interested new customers would like to read.
    Thanks Matty! Another week and so far so good. I'm getting better with swiping on the physical keyboard too... I tend to swap between swiping and typing. Swiping the keyboard has gotten some really interesting looks from friends and coworkers though. Neat party trick that's actually useful.
    Matty and Morty2264 like this.
    09-05-2017 07:32 AM
    I have owned many BlackBerry phones over the years.

I had BlackBerry 9000, 9810, Z10, Z30, Priv and now KEYone and I have to say that this is absolutely the best BlackBerry phone I have ever owned. There was always something with previous phones that I did not like. Z10 horrible battery, Z30 low resolution screen, Priv camera and poor battery but KEYone Is just perfect.

Hardware is superb, great screen, great keyboard, awesome battery life and very good camera.

Software is awesome. BlackBerry made such a HUGE progress since the release of Priv.

And last but not least the phone looks just beautiful and yet professional.

It is just a joy to look at it and own KEYone.

This phone is just perfect. No compromises. Pure BlackBerry perfection.
    Right there with you. Though, very interested to see what they have up their sleeve for the next iteration. These guys did a great job staying true to BlackBerry. Wonder what they'll do with the Palm brand...
    09-05-2017 07:33 AM
    Nice review!
    How do the speakers stack up against the Z30? I've read elsewhere they are loud but tinny
    NewYork_NY likes this.
    09-08-2017 10:05 AM
    Nice review!
    How do the speakers stack up against the Z30? I've read elsewhere they are loud but tinny
    Hi graylingboy, Thanks!

I can't compare to the Z30 as I have no experience there.

From a 'music' listening perspective the speaker is crisp and clear. Definitely 'treble' heavy with practically no audible bass. I suppose that could be construed as 'tinny' though I don't find it grating or irritating. Though the bottom of the phone appears to have 2 speakers, there's really only one. With the phone lying on its back the speaker is on the bottom right. To be completely honest, this wouldn't be my go-to for playing music.

From a call perspective the speaker is just great. Voices come through clear. Also, found volume to be adequate for calls as well. Some devices don't have enough power to the speaker when on speakerphone. So far the KEYone has done a solid job in that dept. It's not 'extra' loud, but definitely loud enough and performs quite well. Though some devices are equipped with a 'louder' speaker (kyocera duraforce pro) when the BBK1 is at full volume it doesn't distort which I've experienced on others.

Using the BBK1 for Maps and Navigation is also loud enough, though as with any device I've used it strains to be heard when the windows are open in the car. I've found with the speaker placement on the bottom of the device I like it best with the phone mounted up on the windshield toward the driver's side of the vehicle and the speaker facing the driver side window (I'm in the US so that's with the phone to the left side of the windshield and speaker to the left). To me it helps with the sound reflecting off - at least in my car. My car is older or else I'd have it hooked up via bluetooth making this a moot point.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rick
    09-08-2017 11:06 AM
    Nice review!
    I used to own Z30. There is no difference. Just like on Z30 or PRIV I conduct most of my conversations over the speaker.

I must admit that this is first time ever where I like my completely and there is nothing to complain about it.

Good price, very good battery, quick charging , fast enough for my needs, beautiful to look at and the keyboard is just so much joy to type on.

I really do recommend this phone. Blackberry android has matured a lot since the release of PRIV. Just like with BB10 over time it gets better and better.

I only wish blackberry keeps releasing new phones so I can keep upgrading every few years.

It would be great to see new Passport with Android.
    NewYork_NY likes this.
    09-10-2017 08:02 AM
    So glad you are loving the Keyone! I miss my BlackBerry and the keyboard for sure! Love that the fingerprint scanner is in the space bar. Super smart and saves on screen/body real-estate.

Enjoy your phone!
    09-13-2017 07:43 AM
    So glad you are loving the Keyone! I miss my BlackBerry and the keyboard for sure! Love that the fingerprint scanner is in the space bar. Super smart and saves on screen/body real-estate.

Enjoy your phone!
    I am - just posted about some features I like as well - https://community.sprint.com/t5/user...user-id/721830
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-13-2017 10:35 AM
    Thanks Matty! Another week and so far so good. I'm getting better with swiping on the physical keyboard too... I tend to swap between swiping and typing. Swiping the keyboard has gotten some really interesting looks from friends and coworkers though. Neat party trick that's actually useful.
    Awesome to hear. I always take things 1 week at a time and just see how thins go. I personally don't swipe on the keyboard but i love using it as a touch pad for scrolling between web pages Physical keyboards are just so awesome and i cant imagine not having one. Have you used the camera at all? Its got a really awesome camera so hopefully takes amazing photos
    09-13-2017 08:48 PM
    Awesome to hear. I always take things 1 week at a time and just see how thins go. I personally don't swipe on the keyboard but i love using it as a touch pad for scrolling between web pages Physical keyboards are just so awesome and i cant imagine not having one. Have you used the camera at all? Its got a really awesome camera so hopefully takes amazing photos
    Oh man, I miss my physical keyboard so much... I *still* have issues typing on a screen. 😓
    09-14-2017 07:47 AM
    Camera will be my next thing to test and review. I have both the BBK1 and the Galaxy S8+. I know they're a lot different from a camera perspective, but will be good to have something to compare to. I'll let you know what I find!
    Matty likes this.
    09-14-2017 09:19 AM
    KEYone definitely holds its own. Even against phones with top notch specs like Samsung galalxy s8.

Just watch this video

09-14-2017 09:31 AM
    KEYone definitely holds its own. Even against phones with top notch specs like Samsung galalxy s8.

Just watch this video

Thanks for sharing @bitek

Good comparo. I always thought the BBK1 had a really nice bright screen. I have to admit after doing side by side with the S8 it's definitely not what I had expected. Overall speed test... haven't tried on wifi, but over an LTE network they both performed about the same for me. Still, good test to have run.
    Wonder why certain games won't load on the S8 though...

Overall, I think it performed admirably compared to the S8. I'll still do a Camera comparo when I get a chance this weekend.
    09-14-2017 10:24 AM