Because of stuff like that I keep buying blackberry. Just read it !

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Interesting article. I think it's worth pointing out that presently, out of the box, both the latest iOS devices and Pixel phones are more secure than all BBM devices running Android. Furthermore, all devices with the July 2016 security update (or newer) are already patched against the vulnerability listed. This is including the Nexus 9 that they cite.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Interesting article. I think it's worth pointing out that presently, out of the box, both the latest iOS devices and Pixel phones are more secure than all BBM devices running Android. Furthermore, all devices with the July 2016 security update (or newer) are already patched against the vulnerability listed. This is including the Nexus 9 that they cite.
Blackberry is the most secure android phone. Keep in mind blackberry has not been rooted to this date.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry is the most secure android phone. Keep in mind blackberry has not been rooted to this date.

Right, I understand that you think that it is the most secure. It is not true, but I do understand that's your assumption. BlackBerry's own OS was more secure, IMO, out of the box. But not on Android. Being unrootable is not the definition of most secure. No phones are rooted out of the box, so we're talking about which ones come most up to date with all of the tools in place to resist the most vulnerabilities.

BBM is awesome at monthly bulletins and on the tools that they put in place out of the box. However there is an issue that they typically release on old software and then are very slow to update to the next OS. Based on this, they maintain a strong 3rd place (with 4th place being WAY behind) for total security on the market.

If we rank on a 1 to 10 scale for most secure to least secure, it basically falls as follows: Google 9, Apple 8, BBM 7, Samsung 3, Nokia & LG 2, almost all others 1 or 0.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Right, I understand that you think that it is the most secure. It is not true, but I do understand that's your assumption. BlackBerry's own OS was more secure, IMO, out of the box. But not on Android. Being unrootable is not the definition of most secure. No phones are rooted out of the box, so we're talking about which ones come most up to date with all of the tools in place to resist the most vulnerabilities.

BBM is awesome at monthly bulletins and on the tools that they put in place out of the box. However there is an issue that they typically release on old software and then are very slow to update to the next OS. Based on this, they maintain a strong 3rd place (with 4th place being WAY behind) for total security on the market.

If we rank on a 1 to 10 scale for most secure to least secure, it basically falls as follows: Google 9, Apple 8, BBM 7, Samsung 3, Nokia & LG 2, almost all others 1 or 0.
BBM is blackberry messenger...this is how much you know about BlackBerry...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
All the phones on your list except for BlackBerry have been hacked. Rooting means that you can do things with your that manufacture did not intended for you to do , which affects security.

Yes, once it is rooted it is no longer the same as it was out of the box. This is why we're talking about it in its default state, rather than modified. As most consumers do not know what rooting is, or what a bootloader is and never try to modify either, the default state is valid for comparison. No device that I'm aware of has ever been sold with the bootloader already unlocked and with root permissions granted by default.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, once it is rooted it is no longer the same as it was out of the box. This is why we're talking about it in its default state, rather than modified. As most consumers do not know what rooting is, or what a bootloader is and never try to modify either, the default state is valid for comparison. No device that I'm aware of has ever been sold with the bootloader already unlocked and with root permissions granted by default.
The point is blackberry cannot be rooted or hacked or another way you want to call it. It is secured for business use.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The point is blackberry cannot be rooted or hacked or another way you want to call it. It is secured for business use.

And if we could get them to release on the most current software and stay up to date within a reasonable time frame, that'd probably put them at a 9.5 or 10 out of 10 :)

And to be fair, they did release the KEYone on 7.1, which was the most up to date at the time and is MUCH better than any of their competitors did this year. So there are definite signs of improving on the release half of the equation. The contrary example is the BlackBerry Priv, which launched in late 2015 running 2014 software and now, in 2017 when it's nearly 2 years old, is still running 2015 software. Now, it can be somewhat explained that the Priv was actually a BlackBerry device, while the KEYone and DTEK phones are the new TCL devices. However, the DTEK60 which launched in late 2016 running 2015 software and now is still running 2015 software. So for now, the assumption would be that the KEYone, despite it's strong start on 7.1 - will most likely be on 7.1 at this time next year and possibly the year after that. None of their devices support A/B updates or Treble, etc.

danp2000

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually the only BlackBerry Mobile device out today is the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. Also BlackBerry Mobile has confirmed Oreo is coming for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. As an additional FYI I received the September Security Patch on my KEYᵒⁿᵉ today.

Both DTEK phones were BlackBerry phones built by TCL much like most phones.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, they did release the KEYone on 7.1.1, which was the most up to date at the time and is MUCH better than any of their competitors did this year. So there are definite signs of improving on the release half of the equation.

I think if they launched it with Android 6.0.1 but said 7.1.1 was coming soon, people would have been far less interested. The fact that it came with a newer OS than the Galaxy S8 was a big positive for it. Also having a battery larger than ALL Galaxy devices put it in good stead for longevity. BBMobile did say it was getting the Android 8.0 update so I'm positive we will see that update sometime next year. Maybe as early as APRIL. Blackberry wants to continue the positivity of the KEYone so getting an update out sooner will be better for it. Especially for news coverage.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think if they launched it with Android 6.0.1 but said 7.1.1 was coming soon, people would have been far less interested. The fact that it came with a newer OS than the Galaxy S8 was a big positive for it. Also having a battery larger than ALL Galaxy devices put it in good stead for longevity. BBMobile did say it was getting the Android 8.0 update so I'm positive we will see that update sometime next year. Maybe as early as APRIL. Blackberry wants to continue the positivity of the KEYone so getting an update out sooner will be better for it. Especially for news coverage.
Makes sense. The issue though is April is way too late. That's 8 months after public release and well over a year since they've had the software available to them.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Makes sense. The issue though is April is way too late. That's 8 months after public release and well over a year since they've had the software available to them.

The only reason why I'm saying April is because of the PRIV. It took a fair amount of time to get the software updated. Im sure since they have had a couple years to get used to Android, the updates should be a little quicker. Especially since Google is making Software updates a lot easier for OEMs :) Lets see what happens. Obviously the earlier the better and good publicity for the KEYone is always a good thing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes the Priv is a nightmare from a software update perspective. The KeyOne came out of the gate better. Much better.

SPQR ROMULUS

Banned
Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
just doesn't look good for the keyone as far as being around for very long, it dropped in the middle of 7.1.1 and did it get the 7.1.2? anyway it will see Oreo or should, but with blackberry ahem TCL dropping another device in a month is it worth it? and will it recieve the same treatment as priv? after seeing what they did with that device that launched at 700$ I'd be wary buying from them again. one major question is that is TCL s devices getting project treble?

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
just doesn't look good for the keyone as far as being around for very long, it dropped in the middle of 7.1.1 and did it get the 7.1.2? anyway it will see Oreo or should, but with blackberry ahem TCL dropping another device in a month is it worth it? and will it recieve the same treatment as priv? after seeing what they did with that device that launched at 700$ I'd be wary buying from them again. one major question is that is TCL s devices getting project treble?
It is been already announced that KEYone will be receiving Oreo. But I agree with you it sucks that $700 phone gets such a lame treatment. I have to say that blackberry customer service is atrocities. I wish blackberry leant from Apple. I have few years old iPad and I just got ios11 update now

SPQR ROMULUS

Banned
Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
It is been already announced that KEYone will be receiving Oreo. But I agree with you it sucks that $700 phone gets such a lame treatment. I have to say that blackberry customer service is atrocities. I wish blackberry leant from Apple. I have few years old iPad and I just got ios11 update now

It's announced that the dtek 50 and 60 would get their updates too and are on the list, along with the Alcatel idol 4 which is a dtek basically and they are still waiting and being jerked around.
Wow, but at least you got the upgrade, you using iOS can basically bank on it.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
It's announced that the dtek 50 and 60 would get their updates too and are on the list, along with the Alcatel idol 4 which is a dtek basically and they are still waiting and being jerked around.
Wow, but at least you got the upgrade, you using iOS can basically bank on it.
Apple is the only company that is consistent in releasing updates to all of its devices.

Blackberry and Samsung and pretty much all android phone manufacturers do not have good track record supporting older devices.

I can only suspect that it takes a lot of hours and men power to bring OS updates. It is not merely copy and paste type of thing.

Anyhow I guess that is why many people are loyal to Apple. It is the whole experience that Apple sales. Not just it's hardware.

Blackberry failed because it put profit first over customer service and best products.

But I do think that KEYone will get Oreo. If news are to be believed It is best selling BlackBerry phone in years with some users coming from other platforms. So it is important that blackberry does not screw this one up.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech