Priv v S6 v Edge

• Thread starter Deleted member 2678566
  • Start date

innernet

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I had a bad experience with the S6 when I owned it so I'd say the Priv.

The S6 battery life was really not good for me. I'd charge it up all night and usually have to charge it in the early afternoon again and then again in the evening... and then again all night.

The memory management was weird. It closes apps that are in the background so having 3gb of ram didn't feel like 3gb ram because my backgrounded apps had to be reloaded, kind of like what happens on the iPhone 6 that I had, except that it only had 1gb ram. I'd say they can just fix that with a software update, which they should be able to do (and perhaps they have) but from what I've read, it's still an issue.

Lastly, even though it has a super fast Exynos chip in it, the browsing experience while using Chrome was one of the worst I have had. I believe it's because Chrome was not compiled natively for the Exynos chip and as a result of that, ends up running single threaded. The performance of their native browser is very fast, but I just prefer Chrome because of the bookmark syncing.

The camera was absolutely fantastic.

**Edit
Wow, it looks like I posted a wall of hate towards the S6. It wasn't like that. The phone wasn't bad, it was just... frustrating. Battery life is very important to me. Much more so than the quick charge. I just want to be able to unplug my phone in the morning and not even think about it again until I go to bed.

The Priv looks very promising to me. Large battery, GRSec kernel extensions, curved screen, blackberry software keyboard, hub, dtek software monitoring and the obvious, a hardware keyboard that is there if I want to use it. Who knows though, maybe it will end up frustrating me too just like the S6 did :p

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
I would wait for the reviews to come. Then you'll have a better understand of the PRIV strengths and if there are any... it's weakness.

Then a comparison between other devices can be made.....

meltedice

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I had a bad experience with the S6 when I owned it so I'd say the Priv.

The S6 battery life was really not good for me. I'd charge it up all night and usually have to charge it in the early afternoon again and then again in the evening... and then again all night.

The memory management was weird. It closes apps that are in the background so having 3gb of ram didn't feel like 3gb ram because my backgrounded apps had to be reloaded, kind of like what happens on the iPhone 6 that I had, except that it only had 1gb ram. I'd say they can just fix that with a software update, which they should be able to do (and perhaps they have) but from what I've read, it's still an issue.

Lastly, even though it has a super fast Exynos chip in it, the browsing experience while using Chrome was one of the worst I have had. I believe it's because Chrome was not compiled natively for the Exynos chip and as a result of that, ends up running single threaded. The performance of their native browser is very fast, but I just prefer Chrome because of the bookmark syncing.

The camera was absolutely fantastic.

**Edit
Wow, it looks like I posted a wall of hate towards the S6. It wasn't like that. The phone wasn't bad, it was just... frustrating. Battery life is very important to me. Much more so than the quick charge. I just want to be able to unplug my phone in the morning and not even think about it again until I go to bed.

The Priv looks very promising to me. Large battery, GRSec kernel extensions, curved screen, blackberry software keyboard, hub, dtek software monitoring and the obvious, a hardware keyboard that is there if I want to use it. Who knows though, maybe it will end up frustrating me too just like the S6 did :p

I am on the same boat except I am on s6 edge now. I don't want to suffer from reloading the app I just opened anymore so I am actively looking for a nice phone that is similar to s6 edge to replace it. Priv looks promising to me!

Posted via the Android Central App

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
problem with the s6 edge is the battery dies off so quick!!!! Thats what i've been reading as the most complaint. My dads note 5 same thing.

BUT IT CHARGES FAST! so just always be near a plug.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
As much as I wanted another phone with a physical keyboard, now that Samsung Pay works with Verizon, I will stick with my S6 edge plus.

whatsever

Trusted Member
Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm a night out with friends and must say my friend get serious attention from a few people who where very positive and with android 6 this year it will be better and quicker.

The response is good here and I'm suprised because everyone icomplains that I use a BlackBerry 10 device. Not my problem, but the vibe is Priv here

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
problem with the s6 edge is the battery dies off so quick!!!! Thats what i've been reading as the most complaint. My dads note 5 same thing.

I think something is wrong with his note 5. I have the note 5 and get about 7 hours SOT.
My brother has edge and that thing is terrible in the battery department.

Posted via Note 5 AT&T

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I think something is wrong with his note 5. I have the note 5 and get about 7 hours SOT.
My brother has edge and that thing is terrible in the battery department.

Posted via Note 5 AT&T

agree, i use my note 5 as much as my 6s+ and both have a good 9 or so hours of solid usage.

jgcotton

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Have used Samsung S6 Active and Tab S, and the Priv is the best and most capable of all...really impressive!

AT&T Priv STV100-1

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Have used Samsung S6 Active and Tab S, and the Priv is the best and most capable of all...really impressive!

AT&T Priv STV100-1

I wouldn't put the s6 against the priv. Note 5, and LG v10 would be better contenders. By best and more capable can you explain more?

Posted via Note 5 AT&T

DOBIEFANkw

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site

I've ordered a Priv to replace my S6 Edge. The battery life is bad and the screen is too small. The S6 feels too delicate. It's definitely not a workhorse. I'm just getting comfortable with Android. It's like learning another language. As a linguistics graduate, we were taught never to judge languages. It's good being familiar with 3 mobile operating systems.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I've ordered a Priv to replace my S6 Edge. The battery life is bad and the screen is too small. The S6 feels too delicate. It's definitely not a workhorse. I'm just getting comfortable with Android. It's like learning another language. As a linguistics graduate, we were taught never to judge languages. It's good being familiar with 3 mobile operating systems.

I wonder how the slider holds up to a fall. When I dropped my blackberry torch it was clicking. I had to stick tape between the screen and phone to lessen it but it would need to be adjusted every so often.

You came from a S6 and need time to learn android? I take it you didn't own the phone very long. It seems like you bought a phone you didn't like anything about. I would have said you should have just got a s6 active. It has amazing battery and it's designed to be durable.

Posted via Note 5 AT&T

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

The Priv battery isn't any better so far. Hopefully some updates fix this issue soon.

guygardner73

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a Priv. I'm very happy with it. It's a very good phone. I wish other Android oem's could be as advanced as BlackBerry. Even their VKB makes others look primitive. Paratek antenna is the best too. I really can't believe a secure boot chain, cryptographic hardware key injection and hardened kernel took this long to arrive along with a physical capacitive keyboard in one well designed package on Android. Obviously there's life in the old dog yet...

jgcotton

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Best = speed, security, camera, feel, balance, and especially BB software (Hub and Dtek)
Capable = keyboard options...have been using both depending on what info needs to be sent, and how long a message

AT&T Priv STV100-1

CarGuy1368

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I had someone confuse my Priv with th S6 Edge the other day. I slid out the keyboard and he immediately knew it was another BlackBerry!

Posted via the BlackBerry Venice

3yE

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I have to login to see for myself how positively the Android Central folks rate the PRIV.

Posted via Blackberry Z30

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool