Cancelled my 6P Pre-order and Pre-ordered a BlackBerry Priv

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Blackberry Priv. Since the Passport came out I've wanted to try Blackberry again but was always scared off by the lack of a decent eco system and the funk screen shape/size. With the Priv, it seems Android/BB fans can have it all.

I was very excited initially to rejoin the Nexus family but based on the less than stellar reviews of the 6P, I'll sit this generation out and see if they fix things next time out. I already have the Note 5 and it seems the 6P falls short in the the areas that matter most to me, namely:

1. display: all reviews agree it's good, but not as good as the Note 5
2. sound quality thru headphones not very good compared to Note 5
3. Camera good but not as good as Note 5
4. Battery, decent, but not as good as Note 5

I'm sure the 6P will be a decent device but it just seems to fall a little short to me. Enjoy them!

ozzyager

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
"...but based on the less than stellar reviews of the 6P..." I'm not sure I've seen any negative reviews for the 6P, in fact I would even consider them to be 'stellar.' Meanwhile - are there any reviews for the Priv, yet? It does look like an interesting device, but it will be interesting to see if any of the specs you mention match up to the Note 5 on the Priv.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Less than stellar reviews of the 6p? I haven't seen a nexus get more praises in reviews from as many sites before, to the point of multiple sites saying it's the best Android phone at this point period. It almost seems strange to see a nexus get so much positive attention on mainstream tech sites. Of course reviews are subjective. But if the Priv works for you it's a good switch then.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Less than stellar reviews! What reviews have you been reading as everything I have read so far have been really positive and I reckon with more in depth reviews to come in the next week or so it will gain even higher praise than it already has.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have to agree there's been no lack of glowing reviews for the 6P, and it makes me really excited for this phone. I've never been truly happy with a skinned android phone (even though that's most of what I've owned), but the one nexus I had (n5) was probably the smoothest and best phone I ever owned. I think the 6P will be that and then some. All the amazing reviews just have me more confident of that fact.

HOWEVER, if there was no new nexus this year, I think I would get the blackberry Priv. I think the size sounds perfect, it looks so sophisticated (a little boxy but oh well), runs mostly unskinned android, and the slider?!!? It reminds me of the Palm Pre! I thought I'd never see a successful phone with a physical keyboard again, so I'm really really excited about that. It looks like a REALLY fantastic phone, and I hope it's super successful! I am not too worried about missing out on this first generation because I want to see how android runs on blackberry and how blackberry supports it in terms of updates. Plus it's not "fully" functional android (no android pay I read, at least not in the beginning). I can't wait to see how it does, and if it's great, I sure hope there's a sequel!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
less than stellar reviews of the 6P??? then you must be living under the rock.

I have not seen a single negative review and most sites have been praising nexus 6p.

So have you seen review of priv? I am sure priv will have less than stellar review

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
For the points I've mentioned in my OP, the reviews all confirm that the 6p falls short of the Note5. So yeah less than stellar in those areas. If the Priv reviews are likewise less than stellar I'll cancel that one too. It's not like I'm unhappy with the Note5

Posted via the Android Central App

6stringriffs

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
The problem I have with the Blackberry Slider is that:
it is still tied to a carrier -- delays any Android updates
it is not carrier independent --- I can't take the phone with me if I want to move from Verizon to AT&T
and it is still running Lollipop 5.1.1 -- when will it update to 6.0?

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The problem I have with the Blackberry Slider is that:
it is still tied to a carrier -- delays any Android updates
it is not carrier independent --- I can't take the phone with me if I want to move from Verizon to AT&T
and it is still running Lollipop 5.1.1 -- when will it update to 6.0?

Not a concern for me. My Nexus 5 was best phone I ever had but the quick update to lollipop killed battery life and made me ditch the phone within a month. So for me updates that are half baked aren't worth it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
For the points I've mentioned in my OP, the reviews all confirm that the 6p falls short of the Note5. So yeah less than stellar in those areas. If the Priv reviews are likewise less than stellar I'll cancel that one too. It's not like I'm unhappy with the Note5

If you're not unhappy with the note 5, and it is a really fantastic phone that's only been out for 2 months, why replace it? And if you don't like the nexus update cycle, why pre-order a 6P in the first place? And if you don't want to hear what the people in this forum have to say about the 6P, then why tell us? :/

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
If you're not unhappy with the note 5, and it is a really fantastic phone that's only been out for 2 months, why replace it? And if you don't like the nexus update cycle, why pre-order a 6P in the first place? And if you don't want to hear what the people in this forum have to say about the 6P, then why tell us? :/

Because I am blessed with the ability to own more than one device at a time and I enjoy tinkering with them. I pre-ordered with the expectation that if the reviews didn't pan out in the areas that mattered to me, I would cancel or resell on Swappa. I appreciate and respect ALL non-inflammatory comments and feedback, such as yours.

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was very excited initially to rejoin the Nexus family but based on the less than stellar reviews of the 6P, I'll sit this generation out and see if they fix things next time out. I already have the Note 5 and it seems the 6P falls short in the the areas that matter most to me, namely:

1. display: all reviews agree it's good, but not as good as the Note 5
2. sound quality thru headphones not very good compared to Note 5
3. Camera good but not as good as Note 5
4. Battery, decent, but not as good as Note 5

Can you actually reference even one review that states this? Because I sure haven't seen it.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry is irrelevant to me and the review's for the NP has been more than stellar. Its also not fair to compare the NP to the N5. The N5 is $200 more one thing and if you wanna compare, let's discuss. The N5 is all glass and is not easy to hold. The battery is so so and on top of it, touchwiz is not any better. The NP is a device for people who want the best from Google. Touchwiz on marshmallow WILL be a disaster just like lolipop was, their going to hold features back and you won't get the pure experience like you will on a Nexus. Add all then added garbage Samsung put's in their phone, delayed updates and $200 more....Yeah, ill take a nexus.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
BlackBerry is irrelevant to me and the review's for the NP has been more than stellar. Its also not fair to compare the NP to the N5. The N5 is $200 more one thing and if you wanna compare, let's discuss. The N5 is all glass and is not easy to hold. The battery is so so and on top of it, touchwiz is not any better. The NP is a device for people who want the best from Google. Touchwiz on marshmallow WILL be a disaster just like lolipop was, their going to hold features back and you won't get the pure experience like you will on a Nexus. Add all then added garbage Samsung put's in their phone, delayed updates and $200 more....Yeah, ill take a nexus.

I bought my Note 5 brand new on Swappa for 550 so it's absolutely fair for me to compare them. The battery on the Note 5 is stellar in my usage. I keep my phones in cases so holding glass isnt an issue for me. I also use Nova so Touchwiz matters not. I get to keep the good and get rid of the bad that way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc