I am looking to upgrade my device (Blackberry). As someone that has never used android before I thought this was a great place to start.

Before I get started I do need to purchase my next phone from my carrier on contract as it is corporate plan.
    So I have been waiting patiently for the store my company deals with to get stock of the PRIV. As of now could be Nov 30 before they see new stock.

Since I have been waiting I have been looking at all the different options that are available to me and I have now given serious thought to the LG G4. I am hoping someone out there has used both devices and can way in on what they liked and didn't like about both phones.

I was leaning towards the PRIV due to the fact it has the PKB when I really need it but have done with out for the last 3 years so I am sure I can survive without it.
    11-25-2015 11:02 AM
    I am looking to upgrade my device (Blackberry). As someone that has never used android before I thought this was a great place to start.

Before I get started I do need to purchase my next phone from my carrier on contract as it is corporate plan.
    So I have been waiting patiently for the store my company deals with to get stock of the PRIV. As of now could be Nov 30 before they see new stock.

Since I have been waiting I have been looking at all the different options that are available to me and I have now given serious thought to the LG G4. I am hoping someone out there has used both devices and can way in on what they liked and didn't like about both phones.

I was leaning towards the PRIV due to the fact it has the PKB when I really need it but have done with out for the last 3 years so I am sure I can survive without it.
    In my opinion, the Priv is a better phone even if we ignore the keyboard. If keyboard isn't important than you would ask yourself which ones are great for the features you enjoy most such as Nexus for stock Android experience or the awesome camera of an S6 etc. Priv is where it's at though and I don't miss my S6 one bit.

G4 does have that nice 8MP selfie shooter though if that's important
    11-25-2015 12:35 PM
    In my opinion, the Priv is a better phone even if we ignore the keyboard. If keyboard isn't important than you would ask yourself which ones are great for the features you enjoy most such as Nexus for stock Android experience or the awesome camera of an S6 etc. Priv is where it's at though and I don't miss my S6 one bit.

G4 does have that nice 8MP selfie shooter though if that's important
    This.

If this is going to be your first android experience, in my opinion LG is not the company to go with. Very heavily skinned UI that can be clunky and really get in your way. They make great hardware, but I don't know if that could ever make me want to use it as my daily driver.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Priv.
    gendo667 and bitek like this.
    11-25-2015 01:29 PM
    I sold my G4 for an N6p which I then sold for the Priv I am currently using. Compared to the G4 ignoring the PKB the Priv is noticeably faster. The G4 was very sluggish due to the modified version of Android. The camera on the g4 was better but that is one of the only things.

The Priv feels better in the hand due to the curved edges, tap to wake is much more responsive on the Priv. The Priv battery is better but not a whole lot. I got through a full day on both easily. If you weren't getting it through your company and had to pay for it the G4 is much cheaper and still a great phone. So if the money isn't a major deal then to me there is no question and the Priv is the way to go.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-25-2015 02:21 PM
    I sold my G4 for an N6p which I then sold for the Priv I am currently using. Compared to the G4 ignoring the PKB the Priv is noticeably faster. The G4 was very sluggish due to the modified version of Android. The camera on the g4 was better but that is one of the only things.

The Priv feels better in the hand due to the curved edges, tap to wake is much more responsive on the Priv. The Priv battery is better but not a whole lot. I got through a full day on both easily. If you weren't getting it through your company and had to pay for it the G4 is much cheaper and still a great phone. So if the money isn't a major deal then to me there is no question and the Priv is the way to go.

Yes the current pricing for G4 is certainly a little easier for the company but is not a deciding factor. I have always been a BB guy so switching to android will be totally new to me.

So the BB version of android feels less bulky vs. LG's?
    11-25-2015 02:44 PM
    Of course we could say that security is a selling feature of the Priv as well. Although, with my limited knowledge and a lot of forum reading lately, I take this to mean (from an android user perspective) that we are secure from a hardware perspective and won't likely see fun things like root. However, it sounds like it would not be as secure from outside attacks as the top dog BB10 in that department, will be more secure than other android phones running Lollipop, but not as secure as Marshmallow at this point.

Don't know if I got that right but if I did this just means I lost the ability to root and really customize to my liking with fantastic apps like Tasker, for a bit more protection from outside attacks I guess (does virus software for phones provide more?). Personally I would have rather had root but that physical keyboard though ☺ so yeah, that wasn't a good selling point for me

11-25-2015 05:13 PM

So the BB version of android feels less bulky vs. LG's?
    I don't have any personal experience with the LG flavor skin but when manufacturers do it, they like to add their own spin on things. You do get some nice features. For example, my galaxy s6 could toggle quick settings on Lollipop which isn't a feature of vanilla Android until Marshmallow releases.

However there are also features, though cool, have tendencies to slow things down or maybe just be more in your face. Some like it and some would rather start from vanilla ground and build to their liking from there.

Here is a video where a kid is talking about features of the LG G4 skin

To answer your question, yes it does. For the most part BlackBerry had added elegent features and the ones that some might find intrusive BlackBerry gave us an out which is nice.

I really appreciate that they gave me the ability to toggle off f the trackpad. It was thoughtful and helps in some scenarios.

11-25-2015 05:35 PM
    My Priv is basically bloat free which I hated about Android. IMO, it's a beautiful marriage. The best of both the more I use the Priv, the more I think it's my best phone ever. While I have no desire to test it, I think it may be tougher than my bullet proof tired Z10

bitek likes this.
    11-25-2015 06:39 PM
    No brainer after reading the first sentence. Ur a blackberry user get the priv. Ur welcome

Posted via my Galaxy S5 rooted with Priv launcher + hub
    bitek likes this.
    11-27-2015 11:46 PM
    No brainer after reading the first sentence. Ur a blackberry user get the priv. Ur welcome

Just cause it says BlackBerry on the phone doesn't mean anything. The switch to Android is a whole new ball game. They have opened them selves up to a lot of competition. If this was a bb10 phone I would know what I was getting.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-29-2015 07:43 AM
    Just cause it says BlackBerry on the phone doesn't mean anything. The switch to Android is a whole new ball game. They have opened them selves up to a lot of competition. If this was a bb10 phone I would know what I was getting.

you don't get it. blackberry android makes the transition ezier. It's very familiar and kinda feels like half bb10. So its ez choice.

11-29-2015 06:31 PM
    OP.... if you want an LG phone, the V10 is still cheaper than the PRIV and a little better than the G4.

If you want an Android without the OEM bloatware, but want the full Android experience... including being able to root and customize your phone.... both of the new Google Nexus phones can do that and save you a few dollars.

But if you want a Android that "kinda" has a few BlackBerry features... get the apps and load them on just about any other Android phone.
    11-30-2015 08:39 AM
    OP.... if you want an LG phone, the V10 is still cheaper than the PRIV and a little better than the G4.

If you want an Android without the OEM bloatware, but want the full Android experience... including being able to root and customize your phone.... both of the new Google Nexus phones can do that and save you a few dollars.

But if you want a Android that "kinda" has a few BlackBerry features... get the apps and load them on just about any other Android phone.
    I loaded the blackberry apps on my Note 5 and they work great.

Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-30-2015 08:47 AM

As blackberry Z30 owner Priv is my ONLY android phone i would buy. BB10 is great on security and Priv is delivering better security on Android. Priv brings the best (but not as well executed yet) features to Android. No other android phone for me if i ever go this route.
    12-03-2015 10:48 AM
    I ended up going with the PRIV. I do miss BB10 but in time I think android with a little BB flavour will grow on me.
    12-03-2015 02:47 PM
    I ended up going with the PRIV. I do miss BB10 but in time I think android with a little BB flavour will grow on me.
    As a seasoned android user that has had the Priv for 3 weeks, this is one of the best android experiences you can get. There obviously will be some growing pains. There will be things on bb10 that you'll miss and will never come over to android, but once you get use to it, I think the positives for android will outweigh the negatives. Of course, I made the switch from the original BlackBerry Storm, that was basically an all negative experience, so there was no where but up for me when I made the switch!

12-06-2015 12:24 PM