Any AT&T Privs get the BB update yet?

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Imagine if this were an important update to patch serious security vulnerabilities and so many Privs still unpatched and exposed?

Oh, wait...

How secure is the Priv, really?

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately this is nothing new in the Android world. It's the price we pay for buying a phone through at&t, or any carrier for that matter. If security is of the upmost importance, buying unlocked is going to be your only solution.

Posted via the Android Central App

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately nothing yet and Im really looking forward to this update. I have one of these phones that gets fairly hot and hoping this update addresses that.

Qrackin

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Any AT&T Privs get the BB update yet?

Imagine if this were an important update to patch serious security vulnerabilities and so many Privs still unpatched and exposed?

Oh, wait...

This is an issue with AT&T not a BlackBerry issue, same thing when BB issue a BB10 update AT&T is always last to propagate.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Oh, wait...

If it was a security issue Blackberry would push the update to the phone directly.

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
If it was a security issue Blackberry would push the update to the phone directly.

Actually, according to BlackBerry there are monthly security updates that go through the carriers and there are hotfixes which also go through the carriers but they have the ability to push those directly if they want. The criteria and circumstances for pushing direct hotfixes were not made clear.

Trisk333

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Actually, according to BlackBerry there are monthly security updates that go through the carriers and there are hotfixes which also go through the carriers but they have the ability to push those directly if they want. The criteria and circumstances for pushing direct hotfixes were not made clear.

If I had to guess, i'd say they would probably do that during months where security is the only update. Since this update includes system updates and fixes as well, it makes sense for the carriers to test it first before pushing to their customers and possibly avoiding unseen issues.

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
If I had to guess, i'd say they would probably do that during months where security is the only update. Since this update includes system updates and fixes as well, it makes sense for the carriers to test it first before pushing to their customers and possibly avoiding unseen issues.

And this all serves to illustrate the difference between Android and other mobile platforms. Why is carrier "testing" not needed for iOS or Windows 10 updates?

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
And this all serves to illustrate the difference between Android and other mobile platforms. Why is carrier "testing" not needed for iOS or Windows 10 updates?

My guess would be the open source that android stems from means each manufacturer android phone is completely different than the next. Obviously ios isn't that way because only apple phones run ios, and Windows phone is closed source, which means even though multiple manufacturers have phones, they all MUST run the exact same thing (although I know att windows phones get updates after unlocked ones as well). There are pros and cons to all of the variety that comes with android, and this definitely is a con.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah saw it pop up on my phone here at work around noon CST, have to wait until I get home to actually apply it (we don't have a wifi network here at the office). Really hoping this resolves the performance issues I've been having, I find I miss that physical keyboard when I switch to my Droid Turbo 2 or Xperia Z3 Compact!

PS. In my mind I take full credit for this being released today, I badgered the crap out of AT&TCares twitter account yesterday, asking how every other carrier was able to push this out last week but they couldn't :p

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

It's really so the carriers can test their own pre-installed bloatware and make sure the release doesn't break any of that crap you never use anyway. Well, and maybe some carrier specific features like HD voice, if we want to give them some benefit of the doubt :)

dmrfresh

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I got the update, but it didn't fix my "mms cannot be stored" issue that occurs every time I send a text

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
After installing and running it for a full day can say camera:better, hub:better. I am still getting a very hot phone at times and still have lag to the point of lock up for moments at a time.

Russel says this is the best phone of the year I would love to know what is different between his phone and mine that he doesn't note any of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech