Is the phone worth the money

D

Deleted member 2678566

For me, no smartphone is worth $700 off-contract. And I refuse to go into debt or get locked into a contract for a phone - I think that's foolish.

There are a lot of excellent phones out there that have been out 1-2 years and only cost $200-$300.

I'm willing to wait until the price of the Priv comes down (assuming BlackBerry's handset business doesn't go under in a year or two). But even then, I'm still not convinced it's for me.

Normally I would agree with this but I can't anymore. Once I would have questioned people who queued overnight to get the latest Playstation 3 or iPad back in the day but what BlackBerry is to me, is what some people are to Apple or Samsung.

I got my Priv on the second day it was available in my country and there was only one vendor which was 60 miles away. In January I got my Passport and in May I got myself a Q10.

My reliant Z10 of three years finally died.

And since then I've always been looked after my BlackBerry with replacement devices in return for testing software although that's not really necessary anymore now we're on Android which is shame.

Most of the times they're cash purchases but with the Priv I decided to commit to a contract as I was happy with my carrier for looking after me. Most people will call me crazy but at the end of the day if something makes you happy and people go out their way to fix it that makes it all the while better.

Oh and there was one other thing I actually queued before it was released - To Kill A Mockingbird's sequel Go Set A Watchmen.

Posted via the Android Central App

nicky_willz

Banned
Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm willing to wait until the price of the Priv comes down (assuming BlackBerry's handset business doesn't go under in a year or two). But even then, I'm still not convinced it's for me.

If BB managed to stay alive prior to the Priv you can bet your bottom dollar BB is only going to continue to swarm the wireless market. The Priv has been a huge success financially for BB and with the next BB android phone "Vienna" releasing by summer of 2016. BB is only going up,the Priv might not be for you but it's the best phone on the market bar none.

D

Deleted member 2678566

If BB managed to stay alive prior to the Priv you can bet your bottom dollar BB is only going to continue to swarm the wireless market. The Priv has been a huge success financially for BB and with the next BB android phone "Vienna" releasing by summer of 2016. BB is only going up,the Priv might not be for you but it's the best phone on the market bar none.

It's mainly because it's really the only new thing this year. IPhone 6S and all the other relatively similar devices are minor upgrades to their predecessors. BlackBerry still has a long way to go but they're doing the right things. But being on Android is unstable, you only have to look at HTC for that.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
It's mainly because it's really the only new thing this year. IPhone 6S and all the other relatively similar devices are minor upgrades to their predecessors. BlackBerry still has a long way to go but they're doing the right things. But being on Android is unstable, you only have to look at HTC for that.

HTC does not have followers like blackberry and second HTC does not have anything really unique. Pretty phones but do are Samsung

D

Deleted member 2678566

HTC does not have followers like blackberry and second HTC does not have anything really unique. Pretty phones but do are Samsung

I tried the HTC Smart in 2009. Budget phone back then I know and it came after five years of Sony Ericsson's which was a dying brand. I broke the HTC within a month and then paid a fortune for a basic Curve. Not a Bold or a Torch, but a Curve! I already wasted money on the HTC so it was all I could afford. BB7 was the flagship for BlackBerry (we didn't know it at the time) and failing. My BlackBerry was 5.0. I then got a newer curve a few years later upgrading to 6.0. Than 3 years ago I went BB10 and now I'm on Android with Priv.

I'm interested in the performances of other androids but right now I am very happy with my BlackBerry Priv. I'm also intrigued to see what Nemory Studios can develop regarding all the applications I have been missing on BB10. If he can get things like Facebook matched up to the rest of us I may still support BB10.

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site

Actually, the jury is still out on Priv sales numbers.

I have a feeling it's doing better than any BlackBerry phone has in some time, but I'm skeptical it will sell in numbers sufficient enough to keep BlackBerry's handset business alive.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the jury is still out on Priv sales numbers.

I have a feeling it's doing better than any BlackBerry phone has in some time, but I'm skeptical it will sell in numbers sufficient enough to keep BlackBerry's handset business alive.

Well that's definitely true; even the latest handsets from the likes of Motorola, HTC, LG, etc pale in comparison to the only two manufacturers the general public care about at all: Apple and Samsung. Blackberry, as a brand in the 20-30 year olds' minds, is something their parents used to use for their jobs and that was about it. Some could argue that Blackberry as a brand is even lesser-known than the latest Chinese manufacturers coming out with heavy-hitters for 2015 (ZTE, Huawei, BLU, etc).

However, I have no doubt in my mind that the Priv is going to be the best-selling Blackberry in a long time; as soon as this silly exclusivity passes (that always holds manufacturers back in my opinion). It's what everyone has been telling Blackberry to do for a number of years now. We've waited, and Blackberry came swinging hard. They didn't gimp the specs except for the front-facing camera, really.

I imagine a Priv 2 will sell like hotcakes. The prices are too high, and the exclusive-to-one-carrier-currently holds them back a ton, but once the price lowers and it's available with all carriers, it will be a huge hit. By then, though, perhaps a Priv 2 will be in the works.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I asked a younger friend if people would laugh at me if I bought a blackberry. He replied that it would never occur to anyone that my phone might be a blackberry, so no.

I bought the priv. No one has laughed to my face. But none of the kids are thinking "maybe my next phone will be a blackberry", either.

lesarmitage

Banned
Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes that's it.

Firstly the iPhone raconteurs went quiet when I introduced them to the to Nexus 6p I tested; the a week later introduced to the Priv - now struck dumb! or asking questions..

The Priv's a winner; needs marshmallow though.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I asked a younger friend if people would laugh at me if I bought a blackberry. He replied that it would never occur to anyone that my phone might be a blackberry, so no.

I bought the priv. No one has laughed to my face. But none of the kids are thinking "maybe my next phone will be a blackberry", either.

If anyone laughs at you for buying a priv tell them that's bullying and it's disgusting and then try to knock them out when they least expect it in one punch.

See if they laugh again the day they back from the doc or hospital depending on where you punched them. Preferably throat

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I work at an electronic repair shop with a bunch of techies. Unfortunately all of them are Apple fans except for myself and one other (and we both have Nexus 5's, his black back, mine red), but I went ahead and got what I really wanted: The Priv. I showed up to work with it and they were all shocked because, you know, who in-the-know would buy a BB these days, right? Well, within about ten minutes of them messing around with it as I helped a customer, I came back and they LOVED it. One even joked, "Dude, that's sick. But it's a Blackberry, so it sucks". Others liked it even more. BB may have a bad reputation they'll need to prove is over and done with before the general public even considers them again. It will take a couple more high-end phones like this...perhaps by Priv 3? lol

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey. Question is the phone worth the money?

So far, I LOVE the phone. I have 2 glitches to sort out and no matter what, you could never get me to return this. I don't use Gmail too much but am using Yahoo. And the hub is perfect. I lost my yahoo sync... one of the problems I am working on. (I had it, but change password and lost it) ... put some music on, on this phone and you will be lost in the sound. Sorry, it was a gift but sooo worth they money!! Lol

Sent from my STV100-3 using Android Central

allanbank

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Got the phone for Xmas and I am loving it.
The pbk is awesome especially with the scrolling ability.

D

Deleted member 2678566

I'm typing on my passport for the second as I I my priv downstairs and typing on the pkb feels so much effort again lol

tim-x

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well the Samsung S6 EDGE is only 50 dollars less.

with SMALLER BATTERY
SMALLER SCREEN
NO SD CARD SLOT
NO keyboard
Not as secure
touch wiz bogs system.

is that worth 50 bucks? If not then all samsungs are overpriced is what you are saying? or just a brand snob. which is it?

You can easily reverse this too

Priv
-Slower processor
-Slower system
-Slower gfx
-Inferior front facing camera
-Inferior rear facing camera
-Heavier/Bulkier
-Plastic

It's a matter of preference really.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
You can easily reverse this too

Priv
-Slower processor
-Slower system
-Slower gfx
-Inferior front facing camera
-Inferior rear facing camera
-Heavier/Bulkier
-Plastic

It's a matter of preference really.

I bought priv and the phone is well worth the money. As to the processor means little difference in real life. The phone is pretty slim for phone with physical keyboard.

Slower system ? What does this mean ??
Front camera is not that great
Rear camera is awesome

Plastic yes but it still looks much more professional than many phones out there imo.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I work at an electronic repair shop with a bunch of techies. Unfortunately all of them are Apple fans except for myself and one other (and we both have Nexus 5's, his black back, mine red), but I went ahead and got what I really wanted: The Priv. I showed up to work with it and they were all shocked because, you know, who in-the-know would buy a BB these days, right? Well, within about ten minutes of them messing around with it as I helped a customer, I came back and they LOVED it. One even joked, "Dude, that's sick. But it's a Blackberry, so it sucks". Others liked it even more. BB may have a bad reputation they'll need to prove is over and done with before the general public even considers them again. It will take a couple more high-end phones like this...perhaps by Priv 3? lol
It will take few good phones for blackberry to improve reputation.