Verizon now has the PRIV for $408.

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Not sure how many Verizon users are looking for a BlackBerry.... but the PRIV for $408 or $17 a month on EDGE is a pretty good deal.

Sadly thanks also to Verizon it doesn't get the monthly security patches and hasn't even gotten MM yet.... but it does have the keyboard.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how many Verizon users are looking for a BlackBerry.... but the PRIV for $408 or $17 a month on EDGE is a pretty good deal.

Sadly thanks also to Verizon it doesn't get the monthly security patches and hasn't even gotten MM yet.... but it does have the keyboard.

Thanks for sharing!

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Just checked my enterprise pricing because of this post, I can upgrade to the Priv for $99 now . . Does anyone know if the Verizon Priv has gotten Marshmallow yet? Or where can I find this out?

Thank you!

Ooops, sorry, just noticed the OP said it doesn't have Marshmallow . .

anon(9996898)

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi there. I thought Blackberry sends Android updates directly to the Priv and not requiring Verizon Wireless' input, similar to how the Nexus line works with Google. Does the unlocked version of the Priv (for AT&T and T-Mobile) has the same "feature", or does Blackberry push Android updates directly to these smartphones?

ray689

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi there. I thought Blackberry sends Android updates directly to the Priv and not requiring Verizon Wireless' input, similar to how the Nexus line works with Google. Does the unlocked version of the Priv (for AT&T and T-Mobile) has the same "feature", or does Blackberry push Android updates directly to these smartphones?

Updates get pushed direct to only factory unlocked devices purchased from shop BlackBerry or Amazon. A carrier unlocked devices is not the same as a factory unlocked one. So an AT&T device (carrier unlocked or not) still requires AT&T to push the update or you can use an autoloader once available.

ggendel

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Blackberry "can" send updates to the Verizon Priv, but they are in a tough situation. You can only buy a Verizon Priv from Verizon and Verizon is supposed to support the device. In order for Blackberry to send the updates, Verizon has to have violated the contract (which many believe they did). Even then, if Blackberry does push updates, Verizon can decide to stop selling Privs, and potentially future Blackberry devices.

You should check my posts at the crackberry or Verizon Wireless forums. After 3 months selling Priv, Verizon stopped sending updates. Currently there are 260 vulnerabilities patched by Blackberry. These have been distributed to all carriers and have gotten to all users except those of Verizon. In addition, patches to fix overheating, extend battery life, and other issues are missing. Verizon gives no substantial reason why and won't even say if they are working to resolve this situation. I've issued complaints to the FCC, the FTC, and my state's Attorney General. I've sent email to Tami Erwin, VP of Wireless Operation so we could work together to resolve things before they get further out of hand. She emailed back that one of her staff would call the next day. It's never the next day for Verizon. So, I emailed Charles Mathias who is heading up the FCC investigation on carrier policies on updates, offering my documentation and testimony. What my next move will be is uncertain but I may take it to the press soon.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As most probably now know, Verizon finally did release MM for the Priv along with the Oct Security update.

They did not release a Nov security update but within the last week did issue the Dec security update, actually being one of the faster carriers to release that one. But folks were still getting it yesterday.

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
As most probably now know, Verizon finally did release MM for the Priv along with the Oct Security update.

They did not release a Nov security update but within the last week did issue the Dec security update, actually being one of the faster carriers to release that one. But folks were still getting it yesterday.

Priv is up to date on security at this point. Kinda wonder what will happen if Verizon carries the keyone. Will we have to wait for nougat for another security update?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy