I'm due for a new phone as my Lg G4 is getting harder and harder to use each day. Needs new battery and honestly, I just want to move into something different. I've always liked phones that were different. Before the G4 I was rocking the Xperia Z3v which until I cracked the screen was the best phone I've ever owned. Literally had no support though which was a bummer.

Was researching phones and came across the Priv. Years ago I did have a BB and had a love/hate relationship with it. Nothing wrong with the phone itself but was hard to use in the realm of smartphones and apps.

Anyway, I'm really interested in the Priv, and I'm liking the idea of a physical keyboard. Is the Priv still a good device or is it decent at best? I know there was a ton of issues when it first came out but have read most have been fixed. (Note the phone will be on Verizon). Compared to my G4 they are on par spec wise. I know it won't be able to compete with say the new G6 or Samsung Galaxy 8, but I don't need a powerhouse and I like something different. Any thoughts or insight here? My next choice of phone might be to stick with LG and just get the G6, if the Priv doesn't pan out.

Thanks Guys!
    04-01-2017 04:48 AM
    I just moved from a Passport to a Priv. I bought an unlocked Priv from dailysteals.com for $289.99. Works great. My first Android experience, but it's a nice phone. And that's coming from a BB10 fan.
    04-01-2017 04:15 PM
    Duplicate post. My apologies.
    04-01-2017 04:39 PM
    I just got one. I like it a lot. Replaced a BlackBerry Passport.
    04-01-2017 04:42 PM
    I am pretty happy with mine. Pretty snappy performance and a nice screen.
    04-03-2017 10:46 AM
    I moved to my Blackberry Priv about 2 months ago and I've been happy with it. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    With normal day to day use. The device remains cool and feels really smooth. The screen is awesome to look at and i love the subtle curved edges.

I definitely think the device is a niche device and its not meant for everyone. For the 'average' person, I think they would enjoy the LG G6 a little more. I just love the sliding mechanism and the physical keyboard. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    04-05-2017 02:52 PM
    I've had the Priv since launch, while it is my first android (had a few iPhones then BlackBerry Z30) and it's also the first physical keyboard I've owned even though I've played with friends old BlackBerry phones..

I still love it, I personally love that it is a slider, most people have perked interest when I pop it open and are intrigued when they see its android.. As far as the past issues the phone had, I don't experience anything too abnormal anymore.. The biggest thing that bugs me with the phone is that when I play a game it can get up to 41 degrees Celsius, which I see complaints for that with most phones, BlackBerry just under estimated the insulation in the case, but if you put your own case on you won't notice

Now that I am used to both physical and virtual I do like to do my emails with the physical more. I'm faster and you get more screen space.

Ya Priv has been our for a year half almost, but now that is cheaper it's still worth it imo

I am hoping we will get a Priv 2 someday.

Have you looked at BlackBerry KEYone? It comes out soon, it is a traditional keyboard BlackBerry but the screen size is still decent that apps will work right.

My partner also has Priv but is thinking of going to KEYone because he misses his Passport.. I am intrigued by demo videos I watched so far but I like the option of the slider too much that as long as there's Priv 2 I'll stick with BlackBerry
    04-07-2017 06:43 AM
    Oh and a great thing with the BlackBerry keyboard (both virtual and physical) is there's lots of customizations you can do.. Normal type, swipe like swift key. Flip up the next word, swipe back to erase, plus can program physical keys to be shortcuts to speed dial or launch specific apps, use the space bar to take pictures, slide phone up to answer calls..

Hub is great, one common thing I hear from people on iPhone or androids without hub is how they can never get people off Whatsapp to say Signal, and they don't want to keep opening separate app for Whatsapp, bbm etc if only 1 or 2 people on the list... with Hub you wouldn't notice really as all comm apps (or most, it's still missing Signal) will display in the Hub unified

Side note, I don't know how good verizon is at pushing OS updates, but BlackBerry was named recently as one the most secure 2016 phones (samsung galaxy, lg and oneplus also on the list) in a recent android security update document by google because BlackBerry pushes security updates every month and they say they have more secure firmware than some other companies that will just release the phone and forget about it.. Something to think about
    04-07-2017 06:58 AM
    The Priv is still getting security updates and still gets the job done. Love mine, and had it since day one. Although if you're worried about the Priv being outdated, why not look at the BlackBerry KEYone?
    04-14-2017 09:47 AM
    I would wait to see if the keyone will be useable on verizon. This is pure speculation, but its doubtful the priv will be seeing anything other security updates. If that bothwrs you and the keyone wont work on vzw, I'd go for a G6
    04-17-2017 07:32 PM
    The USA versions of the KEYone will work on the GSM carriers and there is one to work on Verizon's as well.

The Priv is still getting security updates. The unknown is if it will get. Nothing official on this, but the phone has the hardware to handle it.

The price on the Priv is unbeatable. I love that I can type on a physical or a virtual Keyboard. The phone balances well for typing on either the pkb or vkb.

Your choice, OP. It is a win win. Either a Priv for a great deal, or wait a bit and get the KEYone for a little more.
    05-01-2017 04:06 PM
    I still have mine, but until BlackBerry commits on a software roadmap for their devices (incl. KEYone), I would consider something else.

Only reason to get the KEYone is if you really, really need that keyboard.
    05-08-2017 12:28 PM
    I still have mine, but until BlackBerry commits on a software roadmap for their devices (incl. KEYone), I would consider something else.

Only reason to get the KEYone is if you really, really need that keyboard.
    Totally agree. I read the article by Digital Trends that says Priv and Dtek phones "should" get Nougat, but "should" is a long way from "will".
    05-08-2017 03:16 PM
    Totally agree. I read the article by Digital Trends that says Priv and Dtek phones "should" get Nougat, but "should" is a long way from "will".
    At the moment, that's all websites can say because Blackberry have been very quite on the matter. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I always think that if Blackberry were able to support their Z10 for let's say 4 years. Then I'm sure they can support their first Android device for 2 years. The device is only 18 months old and I would be extremely surprised if they dropped support so early.

Google has given the thumbs up for the Priv to support Android 'O' so it's just up to Blackberry to continue development. Always have faith they will pull through.
    05-10-2017 12:42 AM
    Let's hope our faith is well founded.
    05-10-2017 06:53 AM
    Google has given the thumbs up for the Priv to support Android 'O' so it's just up to Blackberry to continue development. Always have faith they will pull through.
    Source?
    05-10-2017 05:34 PM
    For $280 on Amazon unlocked I don't see how you can go wrong. I love mine. Only deficiencies are battery and the camera. But I'm so much more productive typing and I enjoy typing on my phone. Something I haven't been able to say for the last eight years!
    05-10-2017 11:19 PM
    I'm on my priv for just over a year now and it's still going strong. I don't have the heating issues some complain about. If the priv doesn't get nougat I'm cool with it. Marshmallow is going just fine. I might consider a keyone down the line if Verizon carries it or you can at least get an unlocked one that works. Priv is my first pkb phone and I gotta say I like it. I use both keyboards about the same amount. I'd buy another one
    05-14-2017 09:40 AM
    Source?
    Maybe I should have re-worded that. What I meant was, Google is supporting the Snapdragon 808 chip for Android 'O' which means Priv is able to run it. Just depends if Blackberry want to roll out the update. (Since the Nexus 5x is getting it) ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    05-23-2017 12:06 AM
    I love it! Great pictures on it, too.

The only thing I don't like are the lack of cases and especially ones the protect the screen. Right now I have a decorative cover on back, noting on screen.
    06-16-2017 09:38 PM

The only thing I don't like are the lack of cases and especially ones the protect the screen. Right now I have a decorative cover on back, noting on screen.
    There are 2 cases offered by Blackberry. The first is the Leather Pocket case. That protects almost the whole phone except the top piece. They also have a smart flip case. That protects the whole phone ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Example: https://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Le...cUvbUpU5853427
    06-17-2017 01:25 AM

I would recommend a Stouch 3D tempered glass protector for your Priv. You can get them on Amazon, two in a package for around $14. Just be careful to clean your phone surface good and to make sure the Stouch sides and top are carefully aligned.

No loss of sensitivity and no dust under the glass. It will work with the case you have now. It will not work with a Seidio Surface case nor the BlackBerry OEM slider case.
    06-28-2017 08:41 AM
    I have a blackberry passport and a priv, love them both for completely different reasons. The priv's screen is brilliant, battery life is good, I get atleast six hours hard gaming out of it or two days normal usage. shame it's still stuck on android 6.... hint hint hint blackberry... only thing I would say is if you do get a priv by a fast charger for it, otherwise you will be waiting 5+ hours to charge off the one in the box.
    09-03-2017 05:21 AM
    Really, well seeing as we are still on marshmallow, I think it won't happen.
    09-03-2017 01:35 PM